“Small town sushi? You bet and with great atmosphere”

Koreana Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 42 Restaurants in Decorah
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Korean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Decorah, Iowa
“Small town sushi? You bet and with great atmosphere”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Who would think you could find great sushi in a small town but you do. They also have great Korean food and their lunch specials are the best deal in town! The decorating is very oriental and very relaxing. Here's a secret, there is a special toilet in the woman's rest room with a heated seat.

Visited June 2013

Decorah, Iowa
“good sushi but slow service”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I enjoy eating at Koreana a few times per year. The sushi is surprisingly good for northeast Iowa. The side salad with ginger dressing that accompanies most entrees is delicious and worth a stop just by itself. I wish the service were better. Most evenings there is only one or two servers, and they can be overwhelmed easily when the tables fill up.

Visited July 2013
Ossian, Iowa, United States
“City food in a small town”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The setting is beautiful and clean and the sushi was amazing. Haven't had a chance to try the rest of the menu, but the opportunity to have Japanese food and not have to drive... priceless.

Visited July 2012
Iowa
“Flaming sushi!”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I cannot say that this is "authentic" Japanese cuisine as stated on their menu, but I did enjoy the Oh-My-God flaming sushi, with fresh ebi over shrimp tempura and avocado roll, lightly drizzled with eel sauce and spicy mayo.

Loved the mustard dressing that came with the salad.

Not in love with the shrimp tempura udon noodles ... the flavor was a little off.

Service was poor the night we went; even though there were only 2 other tables in the restaurant, it took quite a while for us to be served and place our orders.

• Visited November 2012
Decorah, Iowa
“Not impressed. Was expecting a little more”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I went on a Friday evening and knew a little about the restaurant and what they served.
PROS:
Pleasantly surprised with the decor. It is a smaller restaurant and has a very cozy feeling. We were seated in our own corner and they do a good job of spacing out their tables and/or allowing you to sit where you'd like. Restaurant is very clean.
CONS:
The menu has listed spring rolls, I ordered spring rolls and the waitress says, "You mean you want Egg Rolls? We used to have springs rolls." I was reading from the menu and I didn't like the way she told me I was wrong, when clearly the menu was wrong.
Drinks were refilled a long while after they had been sitting empty. I never got the last refill I wanted.
Korean/Japanese Cuisine... I ordered chicken fried rice and what came out was the worst chicken fried rice... well, actually it was beef fried rice that came out but I ate it anyways. The seasoning was awful. The menu doesn't describe that they will cook your rice in teriyaki sauce. They also had another layer of sauce and never once offered soy sauce.
My girlfriends meal came out 20-25 minutes after mine, luckily we are happily dating, but this could have ruined a first date. Who wants to sit and watch the other person eat. She ordered chicken teriyaki and the chicken was over done. The service sucked, they had one waitress and another lady who pretty much just walked around.

Prices: $29 for two, not bad but overpriced for Iowa. Reviews of people saying this rivals top places in big cities, that's just not true.

Overall: From a small local restaurant typically comes great food at good prices. Not here. Koreana's business model is luxurious top-notch cuisine and it doesn't even come close.

I give 3/10 stars ... 3 stars for the spring rolls (yes that's right, they ended up being spring rolls even after our waitress told us we couldn't order them because they weren't on the menu.)

• Visited December 2012