“Perfect Location, Clean, and Charming”
Review of Hotel Winneshiek

Hotel Winneshiek
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Decorah
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went to Decorah for our anniversary. Hotel Winneshiek has a nice old-world feel to it. Our room (kingsize room) was larger than expected. The bed was comfy. The room and the bathroom were clean, and we really liked our stay. We would definitely stay here again.

But in the interest of information, there were some minor issues. First, the shower was nearly impossible to get to a comfortable temperature. This could have been because the tub was a whirlpool, which was itself nice and decadent. Second, the room was a bit warmer than we would have liked, though they did provide a fan which solved that problem. Third, there was a wedding on our first morning, and we happened to be next door to one of the rooms where the wedding party were getting ready. It was pretty loud. That being said, I cannot imagine any other restaurant being any less noisy when people obviously having fun and getting ready for a celebration were next door! Fourth, the bar closed on our first night before 10pm because, apparently, no one had been in for 2 hours. That was disappointing. But we walked down the road to La Rana, which was well worth the detour!

So, basically, I'd say this hotel had some of the problems that any hotel would have, but it more than made up for them with its old-world style, location, and cleanliness. It's way better than staying at a chain!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel M, General Manager at Hotel Winneshiek, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for spending your anniversary with us and taking the time to write a very informative in depth review. In an effort to better control water temp in the future we have replaced all of the balance valves( Which control the mix of hot and cold water) in each of the guest room showers. Thank you again for the positive feedback it helps us better accommodate our guests in the future.

Dan

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Monday June 30th,2014 I and two girlfriends arrived at The Hotel Winneshiek.dDwn town in Decorah, IA. Upon our arrival we were graciously greeted by Hotel clerk Sarah.She not only checked us in but gave us a lot of the highlights of the city.Hotel Winneshiek is newly refurbished to the top great choice of furniture,winding stairs. Our room very lovely and very comfortable. Bar tenders Jacob and John were out standing . They were very knowledgeable and made super great drinks.Our restaurant server Jacob deserves an A+. He was very friendly and give us lots of travel tips as we three work in a 5* restaurant.. All and all this was a great place to stay. We spent several days here and loved every minute and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Winneshiek and for taking the time to post this review. Our team enjoyed serving you and your guests and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Dan

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Yes, the beautiful historic building and its restoration are exemplary, and it's worth a walk-through visit or meal or drink in the restaurant or tap room, but it's as if thinking stopped after the physical work was completed. The devil's definitely in the details at the Winneshiek. I'd recommend you visit, but sleep elsewhere.

Here's what detracted. An in-room coffee-maker that was impossible to load without spilling all over the counter due to its design. One weak pod each of regular and decaf per room. No sugar, creamer, stirrer tea. (Yes, you could go downstairs to the restaurant and ask for milk, but I want my two cups of coffee first thing, and in my PJs, please.) No grab bar at the deep whirlpool tub to help one get in/out safely. Faded "art", poorly hung, stained, some in broken frames, in one room. (In another room, artwork was just right.) The former TV/entertainment cabinet was now my only dresser. The ice maker located right outside the doors to four rooms - impossible to miss when someone's getting ice at 3 a.m.

Some staff members need a bit more training. "We'd like to stay another night." "Sorry, your room is already booked," before she turns to other guests at the desk. It took me a walk around the block to cool off enough to come back in and ASK if there was another room available (there was). The clerk who checked us in with a story of how he'd worked until 2 a.m., was back to work at 7 a.m., and was really, really tired. Others (Sarah) were really on the ball.

Restaurant and bar crews are service-oriented, professional, and friendly, but not too, and prices are reasonable. Location of the hotel is superb, and free parking is available in the rear (several steps up into the lobby).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I just enjoyed a one night stay and wish it could have been longer. An absolutely beautiful historic hotel in pristine condition. The staff are phenomenal. Peggy is the true ambassador for Hotel Winneshiek. She was so helpful from my first phone call requesting a room near others in my group. She is gracious and kind and such a pleasure to talk to. Everything was as I had requested. Peggy took care of everything including the fridge in my room. I had a King Executive. A beautiful room with the most comfortable bed. The A/C kept the room very comfortable, but I was pleased that there was also a box fan in the room which I greatly appreciated for the "white noise." The furnishings were beautiful. My friends and I enjoyed the Tap Room for drinks in the evening. Patty provided good, strong coffee at 6 am. Yogurt and pastries are also available for purchase if you want something before Restoration opens for breakfast. Sarah, Eve and Patty were all wonderful - friendly and professional. I have already reserved my stay for next year with the wonderful expertise of Peggy. This is such a warm and welcoming and beautiful hotel. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Coming back from St. Louis my wife and I decided to make a stop at this hotel. Wow, we're we impressed. The price was very reasonable, service quite good, and the restaurant above average. The Iowa pork chop was perfectly cooked and the sides complimented the dish very well. We skipped dessert and had a nightcap instead. They make great cocktails. The room was large and the bathroom very modern. The restoration work on the historic hotel was very well done. Knowing that we are only 2 1/2 hours away means we will be back whenever we need a break. This is a great escape.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Traveling through Decorah my wife and I found the Hotel Winneshiek, which is on the Natl Register of Historic places, and rightfully so! Beautiful room--tastefully decorated--large and had everything you could want. We had a third story room at a very decent rate. We ate lunch and dinner at the hotel---great food and presentation--our waiter Chris, a student at local Luther College did a great job explaining the menu and taking care of us also happened to be the bartender who served us later in the evening in the small cozy hotel bar.
We would definitely return and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Make sure you check directly with the hotel for rooms--we checked thru the internet for rooms and it...