“Scenic Run”
Review of Trout Run Trail

Trout Run Trail
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A great trail that we ran on two mornings at daybreak. Mile marker 0-2 was pretty flat thru edge of town. We were lucky to meet up with a local lady who we ran a mile with and gave us tips on the town.
Next morning we ran from 11-9 mile markers. What a nice hilly run and view.

All reviews
"pulpit rock"
"hilly"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 2 September 2013

we love camping at the city campground and exploring everything Decorah has to offer. the trail is in excellent shape with great views and of course the trout hatchery is a great place to visit. The trail from the city campground through town and out to the hatchery from the east end of town is quite biker friendly for almost all ages and abilities. BUT the approximately 6 miles of trail between the hatchery going west and north to the campground is extremely hilly. young children will not be able to do it and don't even try to do this section pulling a child trailer behind you. it is a beautiful section but the steep switchbacks make this section a very unfriendly family trail. The town should disclose this issue in their trail brochures and signage similar to how the Root River Trail in Southern Minnesota does. On that trail, they show where any steep sections are located.

1  Thank MmurphyIowa_USA
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have a long history with Decorah, so really love this little town, but actually went to the school in Waverly. I love cycling and this project has made Decorah into a premier destination for travelers, students and towns people. I could type for an hour about all of the sights that I saw, the friendly people getting exercise, but I will save you the time. Bring your bike and enjoy the ride!

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This trail is wonderful. I probably saw less than half of it but I was truly impressed. We stayed at Pulpit Rock Campground. One direction was an easy flat route that I biked into town. The other direction was a hilly section that I choose to walk. Into town is a shady wood path along the river. The hilly direction, that I choose to walk, provides some beautiful views with a wonderful pedestrian bridge over highway 9 & tones of wildflowers. There are restroom facilities periodically, occasional picnic table with cover, & lots of benches to sit & enjoy the view.