“Love this place”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The sushi here has made me a bit of a snob. Tried some others around town, and couldn't stand theirs because Miyabi 9 is always so good and fresh.

If you get a chance, sit at the counter and watch a real master work.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

The first time I ordered Miyabi 9 was take-out and was less than impressed. Fast forward to this past weekend where I actually went to the sit-down restaurant. We started off with my and I both getting squid salad, very fresh and tasty. Then we ordered our dinner and we shared three different rolls, the Captain Crunch, Cascobay, and the Yellowtail roll. All three were amazing. After the meal we rgot ice cream and it was tempura fried ice cream and it was also fantastic. Overall, I was very pleased with the wait staff and Mike is very friendly and knows how to treat his customers. My only complaint would be the size of the restaurant, it is pretty crammed, but you really do not notice as you get lost in your own conversations around the table.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have been there twice and each time it was great. The fish was so fresh, also try the seaweed salad, it's very good! If you like rolls try the captain crunch. One of my favorite restaurants, and I make a point of stopping here when I'm in town.

The prices are a little high compared to other Sushi restaurants but it's worth it. The place is small so you may have to wait for a table, but I have called ahead and made reservations and never had a problem.

A must stop in the Des Moines area!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Miyabi 9 is a small sushi restaurant in the east village area of Des Moines. We stopped in during a visit to the city, and were not disappointed. The restaurant is small -- we arrived at around 6 pm on a Saturday; by 6:30, the tables were full. We tried the gyoza and five different maki. The gyoza were flavorful and well cooked. We tried a garlic roll (okay, but a bit sweet and sticky), a standard negihana roll, and three house specials. I'd have to say the house specials were the best. The Cascobay was especially interesting -- tempura fried spicy tuna. Overall, a good choice for dinner near the Capitol.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Sushi Mike is a blast. The fish is fresh and delicious. I have always enjoyed the atmosphere and dont get there nearly enough! I have heard people say it is a little more expensive than other sushi houses in Des Moines but the difference is the quality and it is definitely worth it.