“Pretty good...about 3.5 stars but I'm rounding down due to cleanliness”

Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Ankeny, Iowa
“Pretty good...about 3.5 stars but I'm rounding down due to cleanliness”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a pretty new Hyatt place but the rooms and facility is starting to show its age. The pullout couch in our room had torn fabric and the bigger issue is that I found two beer bottlecaps in the room from the previous person as well as the fact that the window had been left open by the housekeeping staff. Not a huge issue...but if housekeeping forgets these things...it makes me think what else did they forget?

The pool is very small but I like it because its salt water, its not the kind of pool that you could swim laps in, its more appropriate for kids to play in. The gym while spartan is clean and has a nice large lcd screen.

Breakfast is ok. The breakfast sandwiches are heavy on the dough and lacking in the cheese and meat. What put me off a bit was the attendant there. She seemed mad at the world as she refreshed the breakfast spread. Really gave off a bad vibe.

Overall a decent place, could have been better if they handled the cleanliness issue with more attention.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jared H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I sincerely apologize for the room issues and can assure you that this issue has been addressed with our housekeeping & maintenance team. We take pride in our cleanliness being exceptional and appreciate the opportunity to improve. We look forward to having you back in the near future to show you the quality that has made us one of the top hotels in Downtown Des Moines.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Excelsior, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We usually stay at another hotel when we are in Des Moines. When I tried to book a room there I was informed they were booked solid, tried another with the same results when I called the Hyatt for a reservation I got a very annoying robotic recording which kept disconnecting me half way thru gathering my information. I called the hotel directly and a very delightful, accommodating human, named Jolene answered. She promised to try and get me a room and much to my dekight and surprised she called me back with a room. When we checked in she was already off shift but an equally agreeable team Ian & Emma were at the front desk. The entire staff here from housekeeping to parking attendant were over the top. There was never anything but smiles and a very positive attitude.

Room Tip: deal directly with the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We have shared your wonderful comments with Jolene, Ian & Emma and cannot stress how much they are appreciated by the team.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Very nice downtown hotel, excellent and friendly staff, and I mean everyone we encountered. very clean room, comfy beds, and no long elevator waits. This hotel is also on the Skyway walk system, and well located. Parking was $15 a day, with as many ins and outs as you need. We had a good AAA rate, so I did not mind the extra charge. The usual free breakfast is offered, with fresh fruit, bagels and pastry, yogurt, cereal, juice, and really good coffee. I will say that the furniture in our room was a bit worn, but the mattress was clearly new, and everything was spotless. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floor less noise from the street. There is also construction going on outside, ask for a roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We are so pleased to see you enjoyed your weekend with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed in town one night for a concert at the Civic Center. This hotel is an older facility but completely renovated with excellent rooms and excellent beds. It is also on the skywalk system so walks to the Civic center or the Wells Fargo arena can be accomplished without even going outside. Valet parking was on $15 and the entire staff was friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if in town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jared H, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Kurt- Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Des Moines.
albia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here for the 1st time and know that as often as I am in Des Moines with overnights, I will definitely stay again. Room, absolutely as clean as any that I have stayed in over the last 6 months. Service at front desk was a little bit slow, but there was a rookie in training and I was not in any hurry. The manager training the young lady was very apologetic, but didn't need to be. We all started somewhere for the 1st time at some point in our lives. Fitness area was up to date with all of the current equipment. Great place, great 1 day stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Mike, We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay at our hotel next time you are in Des Moines.
Minnesota
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Beautiful hotel with exceptional service. Great suite and clean. The staff here is amazing and you will always receive rock star status. The cost at this hotel is really only a few dollars more then a basic motel.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brian, thank you for the kind words about our accommodations and staff. I can't wait to share with them your "rock star" comments. They will be thrilled to hear it. We look forward to serving you again next time you are in the Des Moines Metro Area.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Hyatt Place in Des Moines is my home-away-from home. The staff is courteous, polite and customer-focused. And great news, Jamie is back! Although she no longer works the front desk, she is often around so if you see her, say hello. She is the best.

There are terrific staff members working the front desk, too. Emma rocks! She is always quick with a smile and a "how was your day?" The nice thing is, she means it! Even when she is busy with other things, she drops what she is doing to help me, no matter how trivial!

Jolene (JoJo) is also quick to help! Whether it's heading out in 5 below weather to fetch a car, or to arrange early check-in, she is always there with a warm smile. The other staff, from Eric the doorman to Jared the manager, have figured out the key to a successful establishment: the customer (guests) always come first! I have stayed probably over 30 nights at this hotel in the last year or so. I never had a bad experience!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Michael, Thank you for your kind words about our staff. They all work very hard and have amazing personalities. They'll appreciate hearing your compliments. I'll also be sure to find Jamie! We look forward to seeing you back at our hotel very soon!