“Bates Hotel Part II”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this hotel online, paying $135.00. When I checked in, I was informed by the desk clerk the room rate was $87; almost a $50 difference. My reservation was for a disability room, but when I arrived the room was already taken. Instead, I got a room at the end of a long hall. For someone needing a disability room, this walk and room were totally inappropriate and ill-equipped for my needs.
The room was filthy. One pillow case had eye make-up smudged all over. A washcloth had yellow stains on it. Not sure what that was about, but I tossed into the pile of dirty pillows.
I slept in my clothes, wrapped a pillow in a clean shirt of mine for sleeping. The sheets looked tired, and probably slept in and not changed. The bathroom was dirty and smudgy, so I took no shower. I heard people above me all night. I made my stay as short as possible, so I could just leave the place.
Don't go here. Keep driving.

Room Tip: The reservation looked nothing like what I got. Dirty, poor customer service, and I certainly would...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were just passing through so we spent only one night. For a next-to-the-highway hotel of this class, the price was way too high ($145 including taxes and dog). Plus the neighborhood is run down so we were uncomfortable, and again with the price. We were allowed to take our small dog which was good. The room was ok, but we got a better price and a better room at the Super 8. I do not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BoleynMom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is falling apart. The cleaning is substandard. The staff is surly. There was only one cart for a three story hotel. We were put on the 3rd floor after being told we would get a first floor room. Not fun when you have a dog and the elevator is broken and you can't climb stairs. Never again.

Room Tip: Right next to the interstate - louder than when you stop at a rest area. Plus - we've tried thr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jilkurtz
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel on June 25, 2014. Rate was $94.49, but that was too much. The hotel is in a rather rundown neighborhood. Outsiders (perhaps employees) seemed to bringing their families in to use the pool. Lots of traffic noise because it is right up to I-80. Our friend's bathtub had black mildew spots. Towels were nice and white, but the sheets were dingy. The beds had blankets and comforters rather than the double-sheeted tops that are the standard today. Mattress was poor. Long wait at check-in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Dannyks, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I am sorry you had a bad experience at our facility. We are working with our suppliers to complete the new bedding program, which will make a huge difference in our property. I hope you come back once the transformation is complete to see the end result.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband's a professional truck driver,the co. he works for sent him here to pick up another part for truck.He's never been to Iowa before & neither have I.It was good to know that I could ride along.Before coming to this hotel,we had made several stops to find something closer to our place of pickup from business.At one place we had a reservation the room wasn't clean & we were told to come back in a half hour by the time we came back,the room was given to someone else.We were exhausted & just wanted to settle in to rest after the long drive from Macon,Ga.Fortunately we found this hotel.The young man at the front desk was very kind,patient,&helpful.After meeting so many Rude & Unfriendly people we felt Blessed &at ease for having come here.Should we come to DesMoines,Ia. again this will be our 1st stop for comfort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mary J
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here on our way west. Price was right, very close to I-80. Warning: google maps will tell you to turn left off of exit 136. Don't! There is no way to get to the hotel that way. It takes you back to the freeway. We had to take the next exit and circle back. So....turn right!

Rooms: pillows aren't great, very lumpy. If you like a hard mattress you'll like these beds. They are hard. AC works well.

Bathroom: very low water pressure. Mold on shower curtain. No trash can in bathroom, which is inconvenient.

Pool/hot tub: pool is cold! Hot tub is nice. Mold on ceiling and on floor tiles.

Ice machine was out of order on our floor.

Wifi was not good. Often service was non existent. Told front desk, they said "give it a minute"

Elevator is hot and has an odd smell like....hot glue. Odd uh?!

Breakfast was the standard free breakfast.

Staff was very nice! Very helpful.

Some staff were smoking right outside the main entrance which was a little off putting.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank WearyTraveler1121
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel was just okay. My fiancee and I stayed here because he was in town on business. I came here with him last year as well. We almost stayed somewhere else this time around but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to save some money. The toilet in the first room that we were assigned kept running. We called the front desk and were switched to another room on another floor. I was grateful for that even though the new room did not have the refrigerator and microwave that the first room had. Nevertheless we stayed for two nights. The second night my fiancée called the front desk and asked for a late check out. The person at the front desk asked him what time he would like to check out. He asked when was the latest that we could check out and was told 1:30. So, he chose that time. The next morning I received a courtesy call from the front desk reminding me that check out would be at noon. I told her that we called the night before and would be checking out at 1:30. She told me that the latest that I could check out was 1:00. I told her that the person we spoke with the previous night said that we could check out at 1:30 but that I would check out at 1:00 (since we were apparently given the wrong information). A few minutes later Housekeeping knocked on my door. I yelled "no thank you." They asked me if I was "staying over." I said "yes" a few minutes after that I received another call from the front desk saying that housekeeping told her that we wanted to stay another night. I told her no and that we would be checking out at one.

Clearly there needs to be better communication amongst the staff all around. We will definitely pay a little more next year and stay at a better hotel.

Pros: decent room
Free wifi
Included breakfast

Cons: staff need to communicate with each other
Near the noisy expressway