“Roon smelled like Barf and Smoke”

Motel 6 Des Moines South - Airport
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Chicago, Illinois
“Roon smelled like Barf and Smoke”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

PROS:
*price
*accepted dogs
* close to where I needed to be

CONS:
*Seemed clean enough, but smelled like smoke and barf. Note - this was a non smoking room.
*Flat pillow - that was really no pillow at all. Scratchy, thin blanket.
*Heating system was completely screwed up. Could either be really hot or really cold.
*Loud.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
m60030, General Manager at Motel 6 Des Moines South - Airport, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Dear Bwookie,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the M6 Des Moines (airport). I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrences.

Staci Sokol
Motel 6 Des Moines South

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
nebraska
Reviewed 10 October 2009

I stayed at this paticular location for the convenient location and the rate but I would NEVER stay here again. I stayed on a saturday night and was woke up between 1-2 in the morning to find a parking lot full of cops. Cars were being broken into and vandalized!!!!! My non smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke and the bed was extremly worn. I do not recommend this motel because although the prices are cheap you only get what you pay for and its not worth it!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank lifechild
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Stayed for two nights. Read these reviews prior to arrival and must say, I had a great time. The bed was comfortable, water was hot, and felt quite safe. The staff was very nice. We talked as if we were old friends. Watched cable TV, went across the street to Hy Vee for breakfast, lunch, dinner, free WIFI and it's open 24/7. Perkins (diner/bakers square like) is also across the street and open 24/7. Can't beat $35/night! I would definitely stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Arkansas
Reviewed 10 May 2009

- Our check-in clerk was such a lovely lady! Very sweet, cheery & helpful. However, I had researched rates online before coming and it said the standard rate was $31.28/night, if you booked 7 nights. They would not honor that rate, even though it stated it was a "standard" rate and not a special online-only rate. I showed it to the clerk on my iPhone & she called her manager to confirm that it did say it was standard. They still wouldn't honor it, so I stood right there in the lobby and made the reservation from my iPhone, and sure enough, it showed right up in the computer for the $31.28 instead of $39.99.

- Rooms were very clean and well-kept. Small, but comfortable and cozy - except for that there was no air conditioning. Apparently their main system can only be set to either heat or cool. Front desk told me they had switched to A/C a few weeks back and then a cold spell hit and so they went back to heat. However, all the guests in the hotel were now complaining of being too warm. The best they could offer me was to open my window since all the fans were taken- sure it cooled things off, but then I had to deal with street noise & it irritated my allergies.

- Bathroom was very clean & new, though only a 3/4 bath (shower, but no tub) and the shower was tiny. Water pressure and flow left just a little to be desired, but not bad.

- Beds and pillows quite comfortable, but felt like I was sleeping a little downhill - not sure if it was the mattress or an off-level floor.

- Location was convenient. A 24-hour Perkins Restaurant was right next door.

- On site Laundry facility was handy. It had 2 residential size washers and dryers that cost $1.50 each.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Carpenter_gurl
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Small rooms and worn out beds. Very loud and the parking lot was completely filled when I returned from supper. Had to park in unmarked area behind the place and walk all the way back to my room in front. Make sure you book online!!!! They were charging over $100 a night and I got my room for $45 by booking ahead online. The pool was nice, but full of rowdy children.

• Liked — Very near the airport for early flight the next day.
  • Disliked — No parking space.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
desmoines
Reviewed 2 July 2007

Me and a friend first order the room online and had reservations set up but when we finally got in town and went to the motel the reservation that was made was taken so we almost did not receive a room. we ask the hotel clerk what was we to do since we had no place to go because the motel 6 had given our room a way, finally we was given a room if we knew the rooms looked like they did they could of kept the rooms. The rooms are not very clean, the dresser doesn't have any drawers, the shower sometimes has hot water and sometimes it doesnt, the air conditioner doesn't put out enough cold air, the mattress had mildew stains on it. How gross and people are slamming doors all night and making pounding sounds, car alarms are going off in the parking lots and people are hanging in the parking lots at night. This is one place I would not recommend anyone to stay unless they are absolutely desperate. we will not stay here again I don't care how cheap the prices are " the old saying is you get what you pay for" there were to many nice hotel right next door that we should have spent our money on no matter what the cost was.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The service and the noise, the hotel was unclean.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rainbows44
Montana
Reviewed 28 June 2007

My family and I didn't even make it into the room. I went back to the office and got my money back. The hotel had a ghetto apartment feel. Lots of "guests" hanging outside their rooms. Intoxicated guests hanging around the area with cases of beer at their feet. Horrible area and horrible experience.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family