“Terrible service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Sioux Center, Iowa
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

We stayed at the Days Inn on Merle Haye during the boys state basketball tournament. The snow by the side door didn't look like it had been scooped for weeks and instead allowed to be trampled turning it into ice.
The rooms were clean but in need of updating.
The chlorine in the hot tub was so stong that no one could sit in it.
The worst was breakfast. We woke up at 8:30 to make sure we made the 9:00 breakfast end time. I had one waffle and the rest of the guys in my group had none because the desk clerk said they didn't have any more batter and it was 8:40 with a full lobby of people waiting to eat. One of the guys in my group ate his cereal with orange juice because they "didn't have anymore milk"
I wouldn't ever stay there again!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Smoke100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
airbear3531
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2007

We stopped at this Days Inn late in the evening on a road trip. When we were packing in the morning, my husband threw the sheets on top of the bed so we could make sure we packed everything. All of a sudden he goes were you wearing these last night, as he holds up another pair of dirty ladies underwear that was stuck at the bottom of our bed.

Needless to say we immediately went down to the front desk, told them our situtation, the worker came to our room checked it out, said obviously these would be too big for you and said she couldn't do anything but would talk to her manager and refund us.

After talking to the sales manager he told my husband he did not believe our story. And told him the maid remembers distinctly changing the sheets in that room so there is absolutely no way they were there and we planted them. But we should call Monday and talk to the GM.

I called the GM and she also said the story didn't match up and since we didn't find the dirty pair of undies until the next morning she couldn't refund us and they had to be mine. (I THINK I KNOW WHAT MY OWN UNDER GARMENTS LOOK LIKE!) After getting a little heated she finally caved in to 25% off, but started yelling at me and then i yelled back and she rudely hung up on me.

Needless to say after this experience I would never recommend going to a Days Inn-- what a terrible thing to go through!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rude Service
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank airbear3531
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2006

We stayed for one night after we found a coupon at an Iowa state-line visitors center. It was an average Days Inn with a decent (firm) bed. We got there after sunset and didn’t hyper-inspect the room. Nothing was obviously dirty or nasty. Average, average, average, but after 12 hours of driving from Dallas, this place fit-the-bill just fine. The front desk gave us directions to an Outback Steakhouse that was close. As we went out for dinner, we saw several more restaurants. There was a Wal-Mart close by, as well as gas stations and other items desired by those road-tripping across country.

Stayed October 2006
New Buffalo, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2005

One of the pillows came out of its case and it was appalling...dark brown with stains. I looked at the others--the same. The night clerk did not have keys to the supply room to get fresh pillows (though I doubt there were any in supply, anyway). I showed her the filth, and she couldn't do anything except give me extra cases and tell me to speak with the manager in the morning. I did, in a rather civil way, considering the gross situation, and she didn't apologize at all--just rudely said she could take off $10. I told her I was going on the internet.
To think that our faces were to be next to that grime...I covered the pillows with the extra cases and wrapped them in t-shirts before the kids saw it. I would have left that hotel immediately if it wasn't so late and all hotels were booked for the state fair.
One would think that by staying at a franchise hotel that they are kept to minimum standards per inspections. A lousy pillow would cost a hotel about two bucks...these had to be years old. Vile. It's unbelievable that Days Inn inspectors missed this for how long??

Stayed August 2005
5 Thank Justthewholetruth
iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2005

I have now stayed a total of 3 nights at the Days Inn Merle Hay on two seperate occasions. Both times I was greeted with a rude front dest worker. The lobby is the nicest part of the hotel, unfortunately nothing else in the hotel is nearly as nice. Everything is older and could use updating.

Customer service at this establishment is horrid. Just to give you an example, my husband and I were lets just say having an "intimate moment"...well thankfully I had the little chain lock type thing locked because some lady was given a key to our room! My lord what if we hadn't locked that little thing? The hotel wasn't even busy I have no idea how they could've gotten mixed up and given her a key to our room.

The worst was on our last night we had another little unwelcome visitor in our room.... a MOUSE. That was the last straw for me, I won't be staying ever again.

Now I do have to say the place isn't the worst I've been to. To be honest before the mouse incident I would've considered staying there again just because of the price and the convenience of the location. However adding in all the negatives just doesn't make it worth it.

• Stayed February 2005