“Not bad”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 24 November 2013

People like Jerry ( Front Desk ), make this place much better than other similar hotels in the area. Hotel is a little dated. Rooms are clean and breakfast is good. Gave only an average but it is a little better than average.

Room Tip: Good food is close. Interstate and access to mainstream .
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Booked a reservation here. Due to an unforeseen family emergency - I was forced to cancel. The hotel still charged me for the room. When I called to speak to the mangaer (Elka) she was rude, hostile and hung up on me. This was going to be my 1st stay at this property. There are several other options within the area. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of the Days Inn - Des Moines Merle Hay. I'm a Wyndahm Rewards member which apparently is good for nothing. On top of dealing with the stress surrounding my family emergency, I spent several hours looking for anyone could provide any level of customer service. Never have I been so disappointed in a company. I travel in IA / NE monthly and Days Inn will never again get my business.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Regarding your complaint lodged with Corporate Headquarters let me answer by stating all of the facts. Contrary to your statement, I did not once raise my voice or use any profanity towards you as you alleged. I was very specific in stating why you would be charged regarding your reservation with us. Not once during our conversation, or with the conversation with the desk agent on duty, did you ever explain that you had a family emergency. This statement only came out after the fact. You stated that we (the property) were not acting in a professional manner and we were not doing what you requested. It was explained to you (and you were aware) that once your reservation was made the reserved room could not be cancelled. I stated that this was professional. At this point you began making threats to the detriment of the Motel by stating you would go the social media and give us a review that would make no one want to stay at our property. I ask you, Is this professional?

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My stay was good except that I developed an allergic reaction both times that I stayed there. I developed hives on my skin that lasted approximately two days after I left the facility. I did report it to the front desk and they said it was probably the laundry detergent that is used to clean the bedding and towels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Reviewed 22 October 2013