“The room door is not very thick so you can hear everything...”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Des Moines
“The room door is not very thick so you can hear everything...”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room door is not very thick so you can hear everything in the hallway. The shower is not made for anyone tall, I am 6'4 and had to duck to wash my hair. The handle on the night stand was hanging off. Breakfast didn't have a lot of variety and things to choose from. The chair in the room appeared broke and the bed wasn't very comfortable. Disappointed in the quality of the room. Didn't help someone was honking their car horn at 4:30am in the morning and I could hear it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is absolutely disgusting, never would I wish my worst enemy to stay there. We arrived around 5:00 on the 25th of April, they have strict rules on guests of guests, and parking. There is no fitness center, it is very basic. After checking in we walked in the hotel, granted we booked a smoking room due to nothing else on the non smoking side being available, the entire hotel regardless of what end you were on, reeked of smoke. We walked in the room, the garbage cans had no liners, the sink was filthy with some type of hair/dirt remnants. The shower had legitimate pee looking stains that were yellow on the cloth curtain. The bedspread had burn holes in it. It was so dirty you didn’t want to unpack your items or even walk in socks on the floor. We sucked it up and decided we would try the pool, there were dead ants floating in the pool and live ants crawling around the hot tub. We quickly got out and went to get food at a nearby location and discussed how we couldn’t handle it. By 8:00 we were ready to check out. The manager on duty said we must have enjoyed our stay/had fun because we "swam". I advised her that the ants was the last straw. We tried to make it work but could not. She did not want to offer a refund when we asked, and was put off by us checking out stating that "I have never heard of an ant complaint." I looked when checking into another hotel at the reviews (which I should have done in the first place) and it had numerous complaints about ants. I placed a call to corporate asking for a refund..we will see where that gets me. My best advice..stay at the Holiday Inn across the street it is AMAZING! They got us right in and were courteous, responsive, and nothing but polite. For only an extra $25-$30 it really makes a difference! This stay has ruined my image of all Days Inn's. I will associate every single one back to this and will never spend a dime in another one. Run, run, run, run!

Room Tip: No rooms would be worth it..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I'm leaving this review before I check out. While this is all still fresh in my head. This hotel smells of cigarette smoke so bad it's disgusting. Parking lot is full of litter, including beer cans and cigarette butts. The pool isn't even clean, had a coat of slime on us when we got out. Housekeeping wouldn't give us extra towels, she said two was enough. Hello, there are four of us. And they even charged us $8 for each child. What a joke. Trash was piled so high it was coming out of trash cans at breakfast, or whatever you call that. Gentleman at front desk is extremely rude. Except the over night guy, very friendly and helpful. Bar around back is frequented by motorcycle riders, woke us up twice last night. This was our second time staying here. It was just as unpleasant the last time we stayed here. For some reason we gave them another chance. NEVER AGAIN! Twenty minutes until 11 am checkout, front desk just called to make sure we were on schedule to make there 11am checkout, or would we be staying another night. This hotel needs a little class and personality. Stay away from this place. Spend the extra $10 and go next door to the quality inn. Very friendly and very clean hotel over there at quality.

Room Tip: Go next door to quality inn and suites
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Can you be more specific on the dates you stayed here, since we cannot locate you in our system ever as guest.
Bushnell, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Got in late after I cubs game front desk guy was awesome.. got us checked in quick and helped us with late night supper phone number for delivery..room and rates are good.. will keep staying here on baseball trips

• Stayed April 2014
Wesley, IA
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business for three nights. The lobby and hallways smelled of cigarette smoke continuously, like a casino hotel. Front desk help was not friendly, just transactional.

Upon entering my room, I first noticed it had a door connecting it to the next door room. I hate that because sound comes right through. I'd rather have solid walls. Sure enough, I was awakened by the couple next door!... The room had no mini fridge or microwave. Every surface was scuffed. Carpet and furniture looked cheap and dated. The mattress was so hard, I laid on a row of pillows!

Breakfast was your basic continental. They were out of one of their two juices. My bagel was completely stale.

I would not go back if you paid me.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Sorry to say you have the WRONG hotel. We cannot find you registered at this location.
West Burlington Iowa
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were tired after driving for 4 hours, to find the woman at the front desk VERY rude. We brought along our older son, so he could stay with his brother in des moines. Before we even got into the door of the hotel room, she was calling and hollering about how we had too many people in the room. strike one..stalker. then when I took the younger children to see the pool, which was not uncovered at 3 :30 in the afternoon, another woman was mopping the lobby. With no sign in sight, we proceeded towards the pool. When I stepped onto the wet floor I fell and injured my back. The rude woman at the fronst desk just looked at me. We were finally able to get the woman to uncover the pool, and my husband and older son were coming to join us in the pool area. The woman yelled that we had to pay $10 for anyone else to swim. I promptly found another reservation for the next night, cancelled with Daysinn and paid the $10. The woman wanted me to pay in cash, but I did not, I paid with my card. This was the absolute WORST experience we have EVER had!! I will NEVER subject my children to one of your hotels EVER again!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

aminalka0403, Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I read all your concerns and will respond accordingly. First of all your reservation was only for 2a&3c. Any extra person would violate our state fire code and that was the only reason we asked about him. As I explained to you about the covered pool when you were checking in was to keep the pool nicely heated and not let it evaporate when not in use, and will uncover as soon as someone is ready to swim. As for the floor to be wet there were 2 wet floor cones sitting at each enterances of the lobby and there is even a stick on sign on the pool door, sorry, you didn't see any of these signs. As for the $10.00 extra person charge there is already a sign on the counter since he was NOT a registered guest and I gave you an option of cash or cc.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#30 of 48 in Des Moines
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay? Share your experiences!