“great value”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The front desk person gave us the wrong times for their free breakfast, which led to us having to pay for our own. When we came to a breakfast that was already over, he just nonchalantly told us he gave us the wrong time. No apologies. No trying to make up for it at all. On our way out I asked for a receipt, and he was unable to give that to me as well. I was very unhappy with the service and wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Des Moines
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Days Inn use to be on the top of our were-to-stay list. Days Inn quality is slipping as shown by our latest stay. The room was clean and comfortable. Must say the mattress was one of the most comfortable ones I have slept on. Where I was disappointed was the swimming pool area. After a 4 hour drive late at night I was looking forward to a warm hot tub. It was warm but only two of approximately 8 jets were working. Most hot tubs have for safety a timer on the pump system. This system only had an on/off switch which was constantly on...not able to turn off. Breakfast was fine. Counter staff was pleasant. Counter area looked low class.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
I have read your complaint and will address your concerns in this response. After your complaint regarding the jets in the spa. I had maintenance and the pool personnel check the jets and that informed me that all jets were working. Further, modifications were made to the Spa by the County, regarding the on/off switch in the pool. We no longer are permitted to put a timer within reach of any guest sitting in the Spa. Rather, the guest is now required to leave the spa and go to the wall selector switch and turn the spa off or on. This is an added safety procedure.
ohio
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have stayed in some decent and even some very nice Days Inn's, this property is not one of them. At check in I was not greeted, but rather slid a paper and pen as the front deck clerk talked on the phone. In fairness, it did sound like a business call. The paper looked like a form I need to fill out about my car and the room I was in. I did what I could as she talked on the phone. I was then asked my name and given direction to my room. The exterior is nothing special, but the interior left much to be desired. Our room floor looked like it had not been cleaned in quite a while. I have an infant who we eventually confined to her pack and play after taking large amounts of hair from her hands and a partially eaten Pop Tart she found slightly under the bed. Beds were not comfortable and pillows were not much to rest a head upon. Breakfast was nothing impressive, but standard for a property like this. Juice, milk, cereal, bananas, and waffles pretty much round out the menu. We did not use the pool area. It had a small pool and small hot tub. Just from the window it did look clean. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
I do recall your arrival on the date of May 8th. We were extremely busy with all of the arrivals and the constant phone calls regarding reservations. We did not mean to appear aloof as we are definitely not. We assisted you as soon and as pleasant as we could and we were certainly not aware that you were dissatisfied with your stay. Had you voiced your concerns to the manager on duty, I'm sure some accord could have been reached on the spot rather then have it appear after your two day stay and departure.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 May 2014

No comfy chair/recliner. Coffee machine malfunctioned. Burn holes in bedding. No battery in clock.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Des Moines
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room door is not very thick so you can hear everything in the hallway. The shower is not made for anyone tall, I am 6'4 and had to duck to wash my hair. The handle on the night stand was hanging off. Breakfast didn't have a lot of variety and things to choose from. The chair in the room appeared broke and the bed wasn't very comfortable. Disappointed in the quality of the room. Didn't help someone was honking their car horn at 4:30am in the morning and I could hear it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple