“The pool and arcade shut off at 10pm on Saturday night. It...”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean and nice. Nothing allowed in the pool area, no drinks either. The manager was nice and have us drink tickets to the bar under the hotel, but the lady I booked the room with was pushy and kind of rude. One of our rooms with kids in it was directly over the bar and it was loud and hard to get the kids to sleep. When we return to Des Moines, we will def choose a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
The breakfast attendant is sincerely apologetic for her behavior but that was not her intention.she does have voice that carries loud.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just read a review where someone says they were double booked a room. Funny how the same thing happened to me this week even though I booked the room in April and was given one confirmation number. The front desk clerk was rude on top of it which is not what I needed after driving 12 hours from Ontario with my 83 year old grandmother.

I called the 1800 number with the first person I spoke to confirming that I had only booked one room, and the second person saying there was two. I was standing at the desk when the customer service person called the hotel and put me on hold. The clerk was telling the customer service person a version of the story that did not include anything that I had actually told her. I spoke up because that would be unfair to myself not to do so.

Anyway, I had to pay one night for the extra room I didn't book and customer service gave me a reference number for filing a report on my treatment by the front desk clerk. I found that I could not walk away from her without explaining to the front desk clerk that no matter how stressful the front desk gets she should remain professional in her dealings with the customer, the customer is always right approach and so forth. She responded by saying that I was also rude. (Is that part of the training?) She did try to have professional dealings with me for the remainder of my stay but my troubles didn't end there. She also offered me a coupon for free drinks which I did not redeem.

There were no garbage bags in the bins when I got to my room and I went back to the desk to ask for bags. Because when I called I couldn't get through because she didn't enable the phone service? When the clerk came upstairs she could only provide a massive garbage bag that sat in the room with garbage in it for two days(removed the second day) that fact that my room was cleaned daily. We never got garbage bags in any of our bins for our entire stay.

I stayed on the second floor and after spending 12 hour a day conventions most nights I had to endure the loud talking of random people standing under my window.

I travel to Iowa every year at the same time every year and have checked into numerous hotels and never had anything like this happen to me. Sad to say I did not enjoy my weekend staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
I apologize for the misunderstanding on your reservation but we did a confirm from the corp about 2 resv under your name and that's the reason you had to pay for the 2nd for the 1st night.
As for the front desk attitude she was trying her level best to be professional with you and aplogiizes if came across rude.
Waverly
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was greeted rudely. They complained that the days Inn 800 number booked me twice. They also didn't seem very eager to register me into the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
You were not greeted rudely when you arrived, as you were greeted by the General Manager and the Desk Manager. It was explained that due to a glitch when you booked your reservation, that Central Reservations had duplicated your reservation. We were very happy to see arrive and take possession of your room and we cannot figure our why you would think were being rude. If you took our concerns as rudeness then I do very sincerely apologize. My desk manager reviewed the tapes of you being checked-in, and he did not witness or see any time that were terse or courteous.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
#31 of 48 in Des Moines
Super 8 Des Moines
Super 8 Des Moines
#34 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay? Share your experiences!