“Great food”

Ranked #165 of 577 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Thai
“Great food”
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stopped her to eat after an I-Cubs game. The inside was amazing. It was decorated in an amazing way. The place was very clean and the staff were attentive and friendly. The menu was fairly large and the food was downright awesome. We will definitely go back again.

1 Thank Zambrewzers

West Des Moines, Iowa
“Hidden East Side Gem”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Visited here for lunch with some co-workers who are regulars. Its tucked away in a strip mall type building right off of E 14th. The outside is unassuming, but the inside is very bright and clean.

The menu is quite large and has a mix of different types of Asian cuisines. I settled on the pho, since I am still trying to find a replacement to Pho All Seasons which closed a couple of years ago. Although it was not quite as good, it is definitely the best that I have had in the metro since.

I will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
“Friendly Thai food with spice!”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Outside: The exterior of the restaurant was very unassuming and plain as it is in a strip mall. There was an ornate wooden room divider in the window. They have free parking.
Inside: The seating and tables were standard and the art and cultural items appear very similar to those in many other Asian restaurants.
Menu: The menus each have a nice external touch of a swatch of cultural woven cloth. The selection included many items from both Thailand and Laos along with a few general Chinese food items such as Crab Rangoon. The prices seemed to be quite reasonable with an average cost below $10.
Staff: Our waitress met us at the door and accompanied us through our cultural meal. When asked she made recommendations that turned out great. She came back often to check out our meal, our drinks and our overall satisfaction. When we were done and just talking she quickly removed any empty plates.
Food: Everything appeared cooked fresh and arrived piping hot. From the appetizers to the main dishes, everything was great. We started with some Crab Rangoon which came out hot and served with the delicious sweet chili sauce that I love from Thailand. One big brand is "Mae Ploy" and it is like a sweet and sour sauce filled with dried pepper flakes and seeds which lends to a sweet and hot flavor mix that goes great with the Rangoon. The main dishes included Pad Thai, Oyster Beef and Angry Combination. The Pad Thai had a wonderful smokey flavor that was a great mix with the chicken and vegetables. The Oyster Beef was a bit like Mongolian Beef found at some Chinese places, but with a fresh, slightly sweeter flavor. Everyone loved this dish! The Angry Combination was a mix of beef, chicken and shrimp that along with the vegetables was doused in a wonderful hot sauce based on Thai chilis. On the first bite it was notably hot. After awhile the heat turned most to tears and the flavor seemed to wash out a bit in the heat. It seemed like this dish was better in small quantities or shared as it became too much of a good thing and the tongue only processed the chili over time.
Drinks: Several people in our group ventured out and tried the Thai tea which came with milk or cream in it. Those who loved it enjoyed the flavor. Those who didn't like it found it to be either too "woody" or "tasting of sweet dirt."
Overall: Everyone was very pleased with the food and service we experienced in the Nut Pob. From the sweet to the heat, the flavors were both known and new and a bit of Thailand became part of our world experience. Personally I'd say to avoid the tea unless you're sure you already like it, enjoy the "Angry" items in moderation, have the Crab Rangoon and ignore the basic outside and come in for a great time with friends, dining in the friendly service and great food of Thailand.

• Visited August 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
“If you're asian don't go there”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I love the food, the service not so much. I tell myself to order out, not dine it cuz service is beyond horrible if you're ASIAN. Yup you read it right, if you're asian you get horrible service. They seem to cater to non-asians more. I went in there with my boyfriend who is white thinking maybe I'll get some good service. They served water to every table but ours. When the waitress came our way with the water I thought she was gonna come and refill our water...nope, she by passed us. I had to say something for her to stop and pour us water!!! Are you kidding me? She did not once ask us how our food was or if we needed anything else. My boyfriend told me he will never come here again because of the service. He mentioned how we could have walked out of the place without paying cuz they wouldn't have noticed us leaving.

• Visited February 2011
“My Thai/Lao gold standard for a number of dishes.”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The food at Nut Pob is so good I would eat there every day.
Gold standard dishes:
Chicken Satay
Laap Gai
Laap Moo
Sticky Rice (ask for wing sauce to dip it in)
Pad Thai
Pad Se Ew

This are all dishes that I compare other restaurants to and Nut Pob is rarely out done. Service can be slow depending on the waitress you get but the food is worth it.