“Pretty good for breakfast”
Review of Drake Diner

Drake Diner
Ranked #38 of 573 Restaurants in Des Moines
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Milwaukee
“Pretty good for breakfast”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went to the Drake Diner for a breakfast gathering with family and friends before the Drake graduation ceremony. We had a small group, and some were there more for socializing, as they had already eaten at their hotel. However, we all wound up having some food, coffee, or other treats. We sat outside in the enclosed patio, as we had requested first available table to speed things up, but we had to put on light jackets to fend off the morning chill. We ordered a range of items, such as a yogurt smoothie, Belgian waffle, the Drake Diner special, a bacon cheese skillet and the chicken fried steak and eggs. Some of the entrees were huge, and I was surprised that there were few (if any) leftovers to take with us!
Service was pretty good, but we were not in a big hurry and we were enjoying the conversation. I think I'd go back on a future visit to the area. It's convenient and clean, with a large range of choices on the menu. I've never been there for lunch or dinner, so I can't comment on other reviewers' experiences at those times.

• Visited May 2014

Des Moines, Iowa
“Reliable and Tasty”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Three of us grabbed lunch at the Drake Diner recently and thoroughly enjoyed the experienced. We had all been there before quite a few times over the years but it had been a year or more since any of us had eaten there. We made a pack to come back sooner. The menu is extensive , offering choices to every palate'; all for a reasonable price.

the place was really busy at 12:30 on a Tuesday but we had no problem getting seated right away. All those people must know it's a good value for lunch

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Marla N
Des Moines, Iowa
“The waiter throws glass in sink”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I went there on a date and it was going well. I ordered Ice tea with no lemon. The waiter brought me the tea with lemon. I asked for another tea because I don't like lemon. He then shocked me and put his finger in my tea and threw the lemon on my table. I then asked for another glass because of his fingers was in the tea. He carried my tea to the bus station and threw it in the sink and brought back my tea spilling in on the table an my left leg.

At this point I got up and found the manager and asked for my bill and cancelled my order. She informed me I couldn't cancel my order. I then went back to my table and asked my date to come with me we were leaving I put a five dollar on the on the counter and said that should cover our drink and was going to leave. Two police came in and the manager told them I was leaving without paying. I explained the issue with the police and I put five dollars on the counter and that would cover our drinks. They agreed with me, I should be allow to leave with no issues and they got my five dollars back and I promise never to eat there again.

I recommend it to no one unless you like rudeness.....

• Visited March 2014
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Bad pesto portobello”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This had to be the worst portobello sandwich I've ever eaten. It was so overcooked I pulled the whole mushroom out with one bite. The fried onions teamed with peppers were mushy and had a nasty texture. I ended up eating less than half of the sandwich. Very disappointed. Also, if you order a Cherry Coke, there are no free refills. Definitely overpriced- around $9.00. I would have been better off ordering breakfast or a Bloody Mary.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jen392014
Wisconsin
“Wonderful diner near drake university”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter attends drake university and I finally got a chance to try Drake diner. Great portions, service and their shakes look awesome! Need to try one of them next time I am there!

Visited April 2014