“COCKROACH HEAVEN”

LA Pizza House
Ranked #246 of 579 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The last time my wife and I ate there, we seen a large Cockroach walk across our table.
I made a report to our waitress about it, and she told us they have had them for sometime, and she had them in her house as well.
The Polite family has always been known for "filth" which means they will take them along with them to their new location at 1440 Maury St.

4  Thank Carl B
There are newer reviews for LA Pizza House

Reviewed 31 January 2013

This place has opened and closed a number of times and not sure who owns it now. In the past had great pizza and onion rings to die for.

2  Thank DANIEL F
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The people who rate this restaurant low have been ordering PIZZA - you didn't read my previous review. THE PIZZA IS TERRIBLE !! You don't go here to eat Pizza !!!

You go here for the amazing, wonderful, huge Sausage Sandwiches and Onion rings !! No other reason.

PREVIOUS REVIEW - please pay attention

Okay, first of all, you DON'T go to what we always call "Russ and Abbies" for pizza. It's the humongous sausage sandwiches and magnificent onion rings that make this place legendary. I've been going there since 1967. When I was in college, we would get a large group and pile into a van or truck and make the trip to Des Moines just to go to this fantastic place. There is no better food anywhere on this planet.

1  Thank Davilance
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I grew up on the southside & went here all the time before moving to AZ 20 yrs ago. Therefore, I was happy to hear that this place had been re-opened. When in town for a family function, my husband (also a southside native) & I went there on a lark at the last minute. It was 8:30 on a Fri nite, we were afraid we wouldn't be able to get a table. Wow. The place was DEAD. There was only one other table that had people at it. We ordered our favorites, the onion rings & we split an Ital Sausage sandwich. The food was just as good as we remembered. Unfortunately, the gloominess of the place was off-putting. They've tried - and failed miserably - to update this place. What could have been a retro-chic throwback to a kindler, gentler time was instead just cleaned up (a little) & had tacky crap nailed to the walls in a couple of places. The bathrooms need a complete overhaul. There's no way they've been redone in the 45 years since I went there as a kid. While I fully appreciate the huge start-up costs of a venture like that, it desperately needs it. The waitresses weren't much to write home about, either. They obviously were in a rush to get off work (at 8:30!) & didn't bother to hide it. Perhaps the owners should have let this former landmark die in dignity. I'm fully convinced it could be overhauled & restored to it's former glory days but that would take effort, knowledge, & a LOT of money that apparently they're not willing to invest. Perhaps you really can't go home again. Sigh.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Was there about a month ago. La pizza house used to be the The best pizza on the southside, Yes , it was a little run down and not the cleanest place to go, but the wonderful pizza more than made up for it. Now it's very filthy and the pizza is nothing like it used to be. why did the new owners change the pizza? I will never go back.