“The best meal we had in DM”

South Union Bread Cafe
Ranked #79 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stopped for lunch and I had the salad bar bowl and my husband had their Union flatbread. The salad bar was outstanding. Fresh ingredients including many you wouldn't expect to see on a salad bar. For example, whole toasted pecans and chicken. I loved my salad.

My husband's flatbread was tasty but extremely challenging to eat. There were no knives on the sidebar, so he had to scrape off lots of toppings and eat it by hand. It was messy to say the least. But it tasted great.

We also grabbed some of the focaccia by the salad bar along with olive oil and Parm. It made for a delicious side.

It's a busy place at lunch, but we got there around 11:30 so getting a table wasn't hard. By noon, it was packed, so go early if you can.

2  Thank SalfromIL

Reviewed 23 August 2013

If I lived in Des Moines, I'd weigh 400 pounds because I'd eat at the South Union three times a day every day...Don't miss this place! Bread is amazing. Sandwiches are wonderful. Salad bar is FRESH. Free while you wait bread. Service is speedy. They seem happy to be on the planet! I had Sarah's Revenge; completely fresh and balanced...roast beef was scrumptious, onions and cheese were the perfect proportion, bacon was 'oh ya! I'm in the midwest!'...We were there at lunch and the place was abuzz with happy energetic talking happening spirit! A sure stop anytime you're in Iowa!

1  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

The only bad thing I could say is that it's not open weekends. Food is fantastic. The atmosphere is great. Possible the greatest bread on the planet. They have complimentary bread bites with olive oil.

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Turkey bacon melt and potato pepperjack soup with a drink. Best lunch deal around the downtown area. All under $10 bucks. Plus, you can't forget the yummy bread and oil! Only issues I have is they are open from 11-2 during the week and not open on the weekends.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

When searching for a great place for lunch south union is a great place to go. Their "regular" size sandwich is enough to keep you stuffed! I always prefer the small salad to go because the amount you can fit in the container but anything on the menu is a great choice.

I would recommend this for anyone!