“Always delicious”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Indianola
“Always delicious”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Love the food here! I only get one of 3 things - all because they are so good I don't want to try anything else!!! The potato pepperjack soup, or a sandwich (only order half, trust me!), or a make-your-own salad. I've only tried a couple sandwiches - Turkey Pepperjack and the Cajun Tuna. Everything is just YUM! The atmosphere can be noisy with the openness and tall ceilings. And arrive early, as there can be a wait to place your order. But it's all so worth it! And don't forget to get some bread to munch with your food - so good.......

Visited October 2013
1 Thank TumblerMom

Des Moines, IA
“Frequent Visitor to this Restaurant”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place is a great spot to get hot or cold sandwiches, but my all time favorite place for their Potato Pepperjack soup and salad bar. Delicious. I go almost once a week for lunch.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank K_Trumper
Cave Creek, Arizona
“The best meal we had in DM”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stopped for lunch and I had the salad bar bowl and my husband had their Union flatbread. The salad bar was outstanding. Fresh ingredients including many you wouldn't expect to see on a salad bar. For example, whole toasted pecans and chicken. I loved my salad.

My husband's flatbread was tasty but extremely challenging to eat. There were no knives on the sidebar, so he had to scrape off lots of toppings and eat it by hand. It was messy to say the least. But it tasted great.

We also grabbed some of the focaccia by the salad bar along with olive oil and Parm. It made for a delicious side.

It's a busy place at lunch, but we got there around 11:30 so getting a table wasn't hard. By noon, it was packed, so go early if you can.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank SalfromIL
Walpole, Massachusetts
“If I lived in Des Moines”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

If I lived in Des Moines, I'd weigh 400 pounds because I'd eat at the South Union three times a day every day...Don't miss this place! Bread is amazing. Sandwiches are wonderful. Salad bar is FRESH. Free while you wait bread. Service is speedy. They seem happy to be on the planet! I had Sarah's Revenge; completely fresh and balanced...roast beef was scrumptious, onions and cheese were the perfect proportion, bacon was 'oh ya! I'm in the midwest!'...We were there at lunch and the place was abuzz with happy energetic talking happening spirit! A sure stop anytime you're in Iowa!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank William C
Urbandale, Iowa
“Best sandwich place in Des Moines”
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

The only bad thing I could say is that it's not open weekends. Food is fantastic. The atmosphere is great. Possible the greatest bread on the planet. They have complimentary bread bites with olive oil.

• Visited June 2013