“Great stay!”

Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is fairly new and very nice. It's on the edge of downtown, staff was accommodating, huge shower, spacious rooms, easy freeway access, nice breakfast, evening socials and was an overall nice place to stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bjack830
Daryl R, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for providing a review of our new property.
I am so glad small things like the sports court provided your son with a more pleasant experience.
Our complimentary breakfast (HOT) does add value to your stay.
My staff is always pleased to know when they made a positive impact.
We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The room was extremely well laid out and organized. If this room were an apartment in New York, it would be $5,000 a month! The breakfast was above average, but you better get there on time or they literally shut the doors so you cannot get in. Other than the train passing by our room in the middle of the night ("My Cousin Vinny"-style), I highly recommend this hotel unless you are accustomed to 5-star hotels in New York or Paris.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Daryl R, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

The highest compliment we can receive is you would highly recommend our hotel.
We strive to make every stay a great experience.
It seems we definitely succeeded.
See you soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My three kids and I stayed here on a Friday night, as we were in town for the MS Walk and also to see an Iowa Cubs game that Friday night. This is a new Residence Inn that was just built on an area in downtown Des Moines that is being redeveloped and is only two blocks from Principal Park (home of the Iowa Cubs), the Court Avenue District (where the Saturday Farmer's Market is held and where are a ton of places to eat and listen to music) and it also borders the Des Moines River. Because this area is being developed, the hotel was a tad bit hard to find as it is off of a side street, and is across the street from some newly built townhomes. It is also RIGHT NEXT TO some RAILROAD TRACKS. For us that wasn't so bad because our family loves trains and there was only one train that went by that Friday night and while you could definitely hear it (the dinging of the train crossing signal was actually louder than the train itself), it was not deafening. My kids slept right through it. I will say though that the interior soundproofing definitely needs to be done over. It was probably from 10:45 until about 11:15 right above my head in the bedroom (we had a suite that had a separate bedroom, and living area) that there was what sounded like CONSTANT walking back and forth. For being a new hotel (I believe they have been open only 6mos to a year) that seemed kind of crazy to me. Another thing that made me believe that this hotel had been cheaply built was that in our suite, there were already dings on the walls, black scuff marks and scrapes too! Again for being a new hotel, I would not think that this should be the case. The color scheme in the rooms in my opinion left a lot to be desired. The colors were just too abstract and bold for my taste and I think they actually made the suite feel smaller than it was. We stayed in a hotel with suites (not a Marriott brand) similar to this when we were in Omaha this past summer and it was MUCH more open, airy and felt bigger than this suite. We also had two burned out light bulbs above the bar area (where you eat) in the kitchen. Again something that seemed not right for a new hotel. I was not impressed with the pool or spa either. While the pool was a good size, the spa was LUKEWARM at best and apparently they use a TON of bleach (I know you need to kill all of the germs and bacteria) in this area because the pants that I wore down now have a nice bleach stain on the bottom of them near the ankle and in all of the years that I have been traveling I have NEVER had that happen to me before. Needless to say I was not and am not happy about that! The room again itself was okay, I like the separate sleeping and living areas (which had a pull-out couch). The bathroom by far was probably the nicest room in our suite. I LOVED the shower (it had some sort of a wonderful massage shower head) and I LOVED the bath/body products, they were Paul Mitchell. I also liked the color scheme in the bathroom much better. The bed was very comfy too! I did like the flat screen televisions and the fact that there were separate ones for the living and bedroom areas. My kids slept good on the pull-out couch. The view was very nice from our room as well. The staff were very friendly and outgoing, although I did wonder if they were instructed to upsell the parking. I say this because when I got there I asked the front desk man (I believe his name was Michael) about parking and he said that they had a parking garage around the corner where we could park for $15. I asked him if they had on-street parking (as I saw some when we came in) and he said yes, "but that he would not recommend it overnight" and did not go beyond elaborating on that comment. It seemed funny to me that he would say that considering they are trying heavily to revitalize this area and bring new businesses and people here. I myself felt very at ease, however I did end up parking in the garage though. I will say that the garage did have secure (you could only get in with your room card to the hotel) entrances to the hotel. I will also say it was a BREEZE walking to Principal Park for both the game and the walk. They have really good and safe cross walk system there. It was also WONDERFUL to be able to walk right to the farmers market as well. So I do give a big thumbs up to the location of this hotel. The only other, relatively minor issue for me was the breakfast, or lack of. There were NO EGGS, the had potatoes, but only with peppers and onions in them (not everyone, especially kids like those), the ONLY type of meat that they had was some dried out, lukewarm slices of what appeared to be Canadian Bacon, they did have oatmeal (pre-made) and it was VERY sticky and hard to get out of the warming container it was in. They did have other typical fare, waffles, dried cereals (to put milk on), bagels, juice, coffee, muffins, yogurt and fresh fruit. I just was not impressed with the breakfast selection for the amount of money that we paid for the room ($193 for the room, including the parking and tax). Truthfully we could have stated at the Embassy Suites (which is only about a 1/2 mile to a mile north of here) and had a made to order breakfast (we LOVE their omelet station), had a bigger room and had them shuttle us over to the park, for roughly the same amount of money (you have to pay for parking there too, but you have options) and we have stayed there before and really enjoyed it the last time since their renovations. All in all this is a decent Marriott property with friendly staff that is in a very safe, convenient location. It is probably more suited to the business traveler, than it is families as the suites would not accommodate much more than the size of our family (1 adult 2 kids). I will say one other kudos for this property is that they do allow pets.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thankfulmomof3
Daryl R, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

We appreciate that you stayed with us and provided a review of our new property.
As always commentary is valued and allows us to see areas of opportunity.
I am glad to see you value the space, bathroom and the location.
We will always continue to strive to improve and again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

While this building may be very new, the layout was absolutely HORRID and CONFUSING. My key card repeatedly wouldn't work. When I finally got in the garage it was extremely hard to actually get into the hotel and find my room. The A/C was not working well. The iron did not work in my room. The manager on duty seemed to be clueless. This location is great, however. I would possibly return just because of the location - not because the hotel is doing a good job.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Justin M
Daryl R, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Justin,
Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback from your stay.
Please accept my apologies that our service did not live up to yours or our standards.
I anticipate during your return visit you will see a more normal side of our level of service and expected excellence.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Studio room for a weekend stay that included easy walk to Civic Center event, Court Avenue restaurant, & other near downtown cultural visits. Loved the modern room furnishings & large bathroom w/very chic walk-in shower & nice bath products. Quiet. Adjacent parking garage & easy hotel access was great. Does take careful attention to directions to find front door particularly if any event nearby has caused restricted access to some streets. Check-in was quick, pleasant, & offer of local map made without having to ask 1st. Breakfast hot & cold variety of options lived up to standards I expect from this brand.
Comparing price for other DM hotels I've stayed in that were in desired location proved this to be a very wise choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Daryl R, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We are so happy to hear you are pleased with your decision to stay at our new hotel.
With reasonable prices and spacious rooms you can still afford to experience all the different attractions Des Moines has to offer.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your approval and appreciation of our hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you are coming to Des Moines you probably want to stay downtown near the action. This place is right in the middle of it all. You are within walking distance of the science center and court avenue. This is close to Wells Fargo Arena too and the Iowa Cubs. Like others have mentioned this is a new hotel and still has the new smell. They have a nice parking garage next to the hotel. The first time around it's a little confusing. You pull up to the guest registration and they give you a room key and that opens the gates to the parking ramp. The ramp does have some construction materials inside of it right now. I found two screws by my new tires. Luckily they didn't puncture anything. The nice thing is you can take the elevator straight to your floor from the garage. This makes it super nice when it comes to loading and unloading the car. You don't have to go through the lobby. The room was comfortable with a refrigerator, microwave,and stove. Our coffee maker was on the fritz but they promptly came and gave us a new one. Our room had a very large bathroom which is unusual for the area. They had a free breakfast and one day they had potatoes and peppers,sausage, biscuits and gravy. The other day they had the same potatoes, biscuits and gravy, and scrambled eggs. They also had the cereals, oatmeals, and waffles too. It was a nice complimentary breakfast. There is a train. This hotel is right on top of the tracks. I live near a train at home so it didn't bother me but I heard several other guests mention it. I was pleased with the decor. The pool was nice sized and the area was nice and clean. I used the fitness room. The treadmills had tvs on them but I could only get picture no sound. The staff was very nice. We have decided that we will be coming back to this hotel again. We normally stay at Marriotts and we have stayed in the last 3 months at the Des Moines Marriott, the Savery, the Fairfield Inn in West Des Moines, and this one. This one has the space we seek, the price is right, the breakfast is a perk, and the location is great. The only things they don't have would be valet and bell boys. There is also no on site restaurant but you can literally step out on the street and find one within less than a block distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iowaloves2travel

You are so right.
Our hotel is so close to all the activities and attractions of the downtown Des Moines area.
We can be a little tricky to locate but once you do it is like finding a shiny new penny.
New hotel, large rooms with full kitchens.
You would be surprised how convenient the fridges are with the doggy bags from all the area restaurants.
Comfort and convenience - everything we hope to provide to make this your home away from home.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Des Moines.
Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The Residence Inn is a new hotel located in downtown Des Moines next to what I would consider the entertainment district (Court Avenune) of bars and restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel.

Downtown Des Moines has undergone a revitalization of this part of downtown adjacent to the river. The hotel is located next to the river front walking and bike paths. The hotel has an adjacent parking ramp.

The convenience of being in the heart of downtown was it that it was minutes from any one of the destinations people may be wanting to go to whether it be business, government or entertainment. Pinnacle Park was only blocks away. Being able to walk out of the hotel and have 30+ different places to walk to was great. I can see this hotel being a sought after hotel with all that it has to offer with its location.

The hotel offers a free nightly hospitality gathering and a great free breakfast. It has a basic workout room and a small pool with whirlpool. The rooms offered a kitchen area. The hotel is farily new so the rooms are modern and roomy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We are so glad you stayed with us & took the time to write this review.
Thank you for your description of our new hotel and the surrounding area.
It is truly something everyone can find useful.
I am happy you were able to experience all that our downtown Des Moines location has to offer.
Restaurants, Bars and local attractions.
All that and spacious, modern suites.
Hopefully we will see you again soon.