“Perfect for any romantic occasion!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Des Moines
Butler House on Grand
Ranked #2 of 4 Des Moines B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband I spent our wedding night at the Butler House and loved everything about the B&B! The room was cozy and beautifully decorated. Breakfast was delicious, and the proprietors were warm and welcoming. Highly recommend! We will return!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Wow, what a surprise! I had read that the Butler House had been featured in magazines so expected a nice place but it was way better than I'd thought it would be. As an art teacher and artist I found the color, design and art at this B&B to be fabulous. Clark and Lauren were friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay...color, comfort and class!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Shopaholic73
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I can't imagine why everyone else enjoyed this so much. We felt the proprieter was strangely rude from the first moments we arrived. Even our kids' eyes got wide watching the bizarrely cold manner of the hostess. This place typefies what a lot of people make fun of about B&Bs: scolding hostess and awkward tension in the air. The accommodations are fine, but we were scared to ask for anything - like enough silverware at breakfast. We are still laughing about it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank wmjr
ButlerHouse, Owner at Butler House on Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

We are sorry this guest felt uncomfortable. That is never our goal. In fact, it is the exact opposite. However, if we are worried about the safety of our guests we will ask them to stop doing something as was the case here. We enjoy all of our guests, no matter the age. We have learned from this guest interaction and will handle this situation differently in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2011

I stay at a lot of B&Bs, and it is evident as soon as you walk in this place that these innkeepers really care about innkeeping. The building itself is marvelous. The room on the second floor was incredibly spacious - a great combination of modern art and historic features. The breakfast was wonderful - baked ginger pears, an egg/spinach quiche, hashbrowns, great coffee, OJ, and a tasty cinnamon roll to close the meal. I don't think I ate again until dinner it was so good and filling! Thanks for a lovely stay...all too short.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2010

My wife and I plus another couple spent an all-too short one-night stay at the Butler House while in Des Moines to see "Jersey Boys". The home is a classic gem located across the street from the Art Center. Lauren and Clark were wonderful hosts who met us at 4 pm on the Saturday of our stay. Lauren recommended an Italian restaurant for us (Lucca's) which was just perfect. We toured around downtown for a while (it was an amazingly hot day in the upper 90s so we keep the outdoor activities to a minimum). Des Moines seems to have weathered the recession well with lots of new construction downtown.

Breakfast Sunday morning was as good as it gets... great food and even greater conversation with Lauren and Clark and their daughter. We highly recommend the Butler House and plan to return on our next trip to Des Moines!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I just returned from a four-day stay at the Butler House with two other friends. We all had a great time & would recommend the Butler House B&B without reservation. Lauren & Clark are engaging hosts & "foodies" that gave us great restaurant recommendations (yes, there are a number of very good restaurants to pick from in Des Moines, a surprise to me). They have done an excellent job in decorating this three-story home with interesting antiques & artistic furniture. There is a large common room that is an excellent gathering place, and their breakfasts were substantial and very good. Butler House is located right across from the art museum and is in a beautiful neighborhood dotted with parks and many good routes to walk. If you are visiting Des Moines for any reason (we were there for the US Track & Field Championships), I would recommend Butler House.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at Butler House for one night when passing through Des Moines. We stayed in the Greenwood room. It was spacious and the bed and linens were really comfy. The full size closet would be useful to someone staying for several days. The bathroom had a few quirks, but that's part of the charm of staying in an older home. Everything was clean and well cared for, and breakfast was excellent (a plate of fruit and stuffed french toast). There was a guest refrigerator with drinks, popcorn and candy. Lauren was a great host - I even heard her volunteer to drive guests from London to kosher a deli and synagogue. High speed Internet was available in the living room, but not in our room. The only other negative for me was that the house is right on a sometimes busy road. You really can't tell that from the pictures. My husband and I really liked the place though, so we will stay again when passing through Des Moines.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple