“My First B&B, and It Was Excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Des Moines
Butler House on Grand
Ranked #1 of 4 Des Moines B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, AR
“My First B&B, and It Was Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

My partner and I drove to Des Moines from Little Rock to get married on my birthday, and we stayed at this B&B for two nights. A friend booked the room for us as a wedding gift.

From the moment we arrived, we were beyond charmed, not just by the beauty of the enormous house and our incredibly spacious (and wonderfully decorated and appointed) room, but also by the hospitality. Lauren and Clark were wonderfully kind, and Lauren gave us great information not just on what there is to do in Des Moines--as well as how to get around the city--but also on the city's history, including the histories behind its various attractions. She's a wealth of knowledge, and every bit of it is useful, and it greatly enriched our experiences in visiting the city's sights.

Breakfast both mornings we were there was a great experience, too. The food was incredible, and the service in the beautiful dining room was as fabulous as everything else Lauren and Clark did for us.

Though we were only there two nights/days, I must say I'm rather taken with this place. It's a gorgeous house with gorgeous rooms, and it's owned and staffed by some of the most gracious hosts I've ever encountered, and that's really saying something, considering I'm from the south. Also, its location is superb, being in one of the nicest, grandest areas of Des Moines, including being literally right across the street from a world-class art museum and a sprawling park and rose garden, all of which is free to visit.

I look forward to going back on our wedding anniversary, and I highly recommend this B&B to anyone who wants a truly grand experience in Des Moines.

Room Tip: The Retreat is the room in which we stayed, and it's huge. It has plenty of furniture for frien...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We absolutely love the Butler House in Des Moines, the stunning Tudor architecture, beautifully decorated rooms ( by Stick's), comfortable beds, wonderful filling breakfast. However, a big attraction is the conversations with Clark and Lauren-they are treasure trove of information, on Des and all of Iowa.
We have been going there for our anniversary-compliments of our Des Moines attorney for the last 6/7 years-it has become a very enjoyable tradition. We usually have dinner at Baru 66-great restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alumnus
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The house is a 1920's-vintage Tudor home majestically situated on a hill across from the Des Moines Art Center. The innkeepers and their family maintain their residence in the house and provide 7 uniquely decorated rooms for guests on the 2nd and 3rd floors. We stayed in the Dynasty Room, which featured a 3/4 bath, a separate jacuzzi tub and wicker furniture, all overlooking Greenwood Park across the way.

My wife and I stayed two nights in celebration of our anniversary, visiting the Art Center, the Des Moines Farmers' Market and the Iowa State Fair. The location was, of course, very convenient to the Art Center and centrally located in the Des Moines metro. Any major destination is an easy drive, or even by bike, as the house is located close to the extensive recreational trail system. My morning run featured a tour of Ashworth/Greenwood Park, Water Works Park and the Western Gateway Park, all connected by Des Moines' trail system and immediately accessible from Butler House.

Clark and Lauren were a wealth of information on local events. For example, for our visit to the farmers' market, Lauren provided directions to the best location for free parking. We will most assuredly stay here again, as the rates are similar to a stay at one of the luxury hotels downtown, but with so much more character and personal service. You will not want to miss the delectable breakfast, either (special dietary restrictions were handled without a second thought).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My first trip to Des Moines and did i feel like the pampered one! Lauren and Clark thought of everything, even the bug spray for walks on the nearby trail. Breakfasts were outstanding and stocking the second floor fridge with soft drinks and water was most thoughtful.. And when it came to directions, Lauren was spot on. All this and a beautiful restored home in a great neighbor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Gene C
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Webster's Dictionary should be amended to include a picture of Lauren and Clark Smith alongside the definition of the word "hospitality". Our room included modern conveniences, but retained the character you would expect to find in an elegant home. Breakfast exceeded all expectations. We stayed for two nights and our only regret is that we didn't book a longer stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wanderingstar521
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I was very impressed with the Butler House. Actually, my stay at the Butler house exceeded my expectations! Beautiful Tudor home, the history of the structure has been preserved and maintained extremely well. This bed and breakfast a unique and historical feel to it. A great reprieve from the hotel drill. I just booked another stay there, and unfortunately, they were booked. So, the secret is obviously out.

Room Tip: Master suite
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mysweetbear
thankfulmomof3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Lauren and Clark have quite simply the most romantic,charming and delightful bread and breakfast that I have ever been to! My husband and I stayed in the Garden Room and it was gorgeous! The bed was big and comfy and Lauren even offered to turn down our bed for us! She brought us chocolates in the evening when checking on us to make sure that we were set for the night! They have refreshments that are available to guests at no charge. The decor fits well with the charm of this home that was built in the 1920's and is right across the street from the Des Moines art center. The bed was simply luxurious and comfortable to sleep in. The next morning for breakfast our hosts first brought out a plate of wonderful fresh fruit and then for the main course we had a delightful ham and cheese quiche, homemade cinnamon rolls and hashbrowns! They also have the most exquisite coffee. I literally felt like Cinderella with my prince in the beautiful castle!! We highly recommend this place and will be back again! I will say though the rooms are not handicapped accessible though (my husband has M.S and walks with a cane and so it took him a bit to get up to our room), so if you are someone who uses a wheelchair or has difficultly walking you may want to keep this in mind. Still though by far this home and it's hosts are simply grand!

• Stayed June 2013