“Okay Indian restaurant. They have a buffet that's pretty good.”
Review of India Star

India Star
Ranked #353 of 572 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Okay Indian restaurant. They have a buffet that's pretty good.”
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Okay Indian restaurant. They have a buffet that's pretty good.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Cedar Falls
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Food”
Reviewed 2 March 2008

I absolutely agree with Pream. After looking at the menu, I thought prices are not bad. But, after tasting the food and looking at the quantity, I felt that it was microwavable food from an Indian Grocery store. Americans like this food because they might not have tasted some good Indian food. But if you are an Indian and looking for some good food then I suggest you to cook and eat at home only. Atleast you will save some time and money.

1 Thank ILoveMyCivic
Des Moines, Iowa USA
“India Star is a Star”
Reviewed 7 April 2007

Unlike previous reviews of this restaurant, this is a quite good Indian restaurant. Having eaten at countless Indian restaurants in New York, Sidney, and London, the food is comparable to many Indian restaurants in the above cities. Sure, it's not fancy, but the food is certainly worthwhile. Additionally, there are multiple Indian families dining in this restaurant and their carry-out business is thriving as well.

West Des Moines, IA
“The Best Indian Food in Town”
Reviewed 5 April 2007

I am married to a Pakistani and have eaten my mother-in-law's excellent cooking for more than 25 years. But she's 12 hours away now. Thankfully, Baba's India Star supplies my husband and me with outstanding Indian dishes, including, chicken masala--a perfectly balanced treat of spices, creaminess, and chunks of chicken breast. Pindhi (okra), banghin (eggplant), naan, alu parantha (chapati bread w/ lightly seasoned layer of potato between), dal, everything we eat here is outstanding and made fresh, making the wait well worth it. This only scratches the surface of the extensive menu offerings that include lamb, chicken, and beef; vegetarian dishes, curries, and most anything an Indian appetite could desire. The appetizers are the best!
Lunchtime buffets include chicken curry, a variety of vegetable dishes, and fresh, hot, perfectly cooked naan.
Chai is a perfect blend of spices--always a great way to end a meal, although a variety of desserts are also delicious.
We've never been disappointed. Also, the staff is friendly, helpful, and always courteous.

2 Thank KDZMOM
Des Moines, IA.
“If you think this place is good you haven't had Real Indian food.”
Reviewed 23 January 2007

First off, I'm an Indian. I was born & partially raised there. I've eaten at countless Indian restaurants and we also cook Indian food at home.

I recently moved to Des Moines and had the opportunity to eat at India Star. To be blunt, it was horrible. The food tasted like they took microwavable curries from an Indian grocery store and added some spices on top according to taste. Also, the naan bread was burnt! I asked them to replace it and the Indian woman at the counter argued with me that it isn't burnt! She humiliated me by grabbing the naan bread to inspect it and told me that it is cooked right! I told her that the other Indian place in town serves the same item and it isn't burnt like this, and she had the nerve to tell me to go eat over there!

SHE TOLD ME TO GO EAT AT THE OTHER INDIAN PLACE BECAUSE MY ORDER WASN'T DONE RIGHT!

Even if I didn't have to deal with this horrible person, I still wouldn't eat at this place because their food is a joke. It's a cheap rip-off of North-Indian food. I chuckled when I saw how many people leave complements in their little message book at the front counter, but then I looked around the restaurant and noticed that it was all Americans who probably haven't had the opportunity to try better Indian food.

This place is an insult to Indian food. Yes, they are slightly cheaper than the other two Indian restaurants in town, but I guess you get what you pay for.

If you ever get a chance to go to Minneapolis, check out the place called "Bombay Bistro" in downtown or a place called "Chapatti" in Edina. THAT is what Indian restaurants should be like.

4 Thank Pream