“A place to lay your head when you pull off the road and that is it!”

American Inn & Suites
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Omaha, Nebraska
“A place to lay your head when you pull off the road and that is it!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I booked this hotel so my family didn't have to drive home after a long day at Adventureland. I won't do that again. This hotel is old. This hotel was dirty. It does serve breakfast. I had cold cereal. The check in staff was grouchy and not friendly. The check out staff was okay. I found myself apologizing to my family for such a bad choice. The main floor ice machine was broke. The main floor soda machine was broke. While looking for my grandchildren, two men thought I might be looking for some action. However, the beds were comfortable. No bed bugs. My air conditioner didn't work, so it just blew cool air and never cold air. My bathroom was clean and looked like a new toilet was installed recently. If you just need a place to lay down this will do, but a few more dollars and you will be better off.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $25.00 and get a better quality hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Newtown, PA
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This is an average Rodeway. However, the check-in staff were excellent, and the breakfast was awesome. Biscuits and Gravy will win me over any day. Otherwise, it is a bed, a shower, and a sink. That was all I needed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I spend 3-4 days a week on average in hotels with my work. Every penny that I can save goes right back into my pockets, so I pick my stays with care for the prices. While this isn't anything like a high-end hotel, it's acceptable and keeps my budget intact. No bugs, everything works that's supposed to, and overall no real problems.

The ice machine is perpetually offline, but the hotel staff has no problems giving you ice when you ask for it. Actually, this ice is better than what a typical ice machine makes, so it's kind of a plus when you look at it that way.

The hotel free internet comes with a nasty case of pop-ups... it's a built in advertising scheme that I haven't seen at any other hotel, ever. It's quite annoying and makes the internet nearly worthless, until you install a pop-up blocker and all that crud goes bye-bye. If you plan on using the hotel internet, make sure you have a good pop-up and script blocker running first, or plan on hooking into Montana Mike's free wifi next door... :)

I personally have stayed here multiple times, given the cheap prices that I'm getting, and I plan on staying again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We decided to call ahead to make a reservation when traveling on the 4th of July weekend because we had a pet. We called at 9pm and arrived at 11pm. The place smelled stale and smokey. The halls and lobby were shabby and the woodwork and walls all scratched. I asked to see a room and I knew I couldn't stay as it was disgusting which I told the girl. She called the owner and he said I would have to pay because we didn't cancel by 4(we didn't reserve until 9). She showed us another room which was the same. I ended up in an argument with the owner or manager. I called Choice and they said it was okay not to stay and to call them back in the AM. I called American Express and they ere also very helpful. We went on one more exit and found a very acceptable Choice hotel. I am pretty sure we will not have to pay for this one. No one should have to pay for an uninhabitable dirty place. Hope this helps someone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
rodewayinndesmoines, Webmaster at American Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
Dear judithS2120,

Thank you for attempting to stay at Rodeway Inn Page during your recent visit to our area.

• Housekeeping received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Management received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

We take our reviews very seriously. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again consider staying at Rodeway Inn Page. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Des Moines hotels

Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is by far the worst hotel my husband and I have stayed in during our 40 yrs of marriage. We choice this particular one because it was part of the hotel chain, located in the area that we needed to be located in, and was part of the reward program. The fence outside was falling down, the grounds were filthy, the room smelled of urine and mildew, and towels were skimpy and worn. Breakfast was to be served until 9:00 and nothing was left after 7:30. Staff was unfriendly and hid out in their backroom , sitting in a chair just looking out until someone came to the desk. Did not acknowledge anyone walking through, no thank yous, etc. Ice machine did not work. Check out took 10 minutes. Only good thing about the hotel is that it was located to Montana Mike's, a great steak house! Hope this is not a sample of the rewards hotels of Choice Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank colin92
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Des Moines for your recent stay in our area.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast that would last the advertised amount of time.

• Management/registration staff received additional training in the courteous way in which they are to treat our valued guests.

We take our reviews seriously, and try to implement suggestions when possible. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Des Moines. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Warrenville, IL
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We were driving home from a Colorado vacation with our dog; we made reservations at the Red Roof Inn which stated on-line that they accepted dogs, only to find a hand written note at the front desk stating that pets were no longer accepted as of Sept. 30. The Motel 6 to the left was crowded, so we went to the right to the Rodeway Inn. While the staff was nice and helpful, the hotel overall smelled of smoke and a "strange" smell. Our room was quiet, but that is about it....the remote for the TV didn't work....we opened the refrigerator only to close it quickly because it smelled so bad (and wasn't plugged in so it was warm)....one of our keys didn't work...there was no shower curtain... The sheets were clean and the bathroom was clean, but not much else seemed all that clean. I wanted to open the window, but the highway noise was too much. We generally stay at "Choice Hotels", but were very disappointed in this hotel. Maybe for <$40...but we paid near $80 once the dog and taxes were added in.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank warrenville111
rodewayinndesmoines, Webmaster at American Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Des Moines for your recent stay in our area.

1) Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They also received instruction in making sure that the room was properly ready for occupancy, i.e. the refrigerator plugged in, a shower curtain, etc.

2) Maintenance was told about the problem with the remote control in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to it that it was either repaired or replaced.

3) Maintenance was instructed to see to it that room keys were working properly.

Reviewed 27 August 2010

Arrived 11 pm on a Tuesday night and found the parking lot full of cars. (Same situation at the nearby Red Roof and Motel 6.) We were given a small unusually shaped room at the end of the building. Rm 131 Mattress and pillows were poor. But clean. During the night a strange ticking sound woke me up. Don't know what it was but turned on the air conditiner fan to cover up the noise. Great water pressure in the shower the next morning.. Checked out the free breakfast as we were checking out but instead chose to walk next door to the Country Kitchen, I think it was. Room was $69.99 plus tax so $78.39. It was just down the road from where we needed to be the next morning so that was convenient for us. Like I said, it was adequate.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank grandmain2001
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Des Moines for your recent stay in our area. I am glad the location was a convenient one for you.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Des Moines. I am glad that you were pleased with your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#27 of 48 in Des Moines
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston

Been to American Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!