“Food poisoning, avoid the milkshake”
Review of Sonic Drive-In - CLOSED

Sonic Drive-In
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Fast food
West Des Moines, IA
“Food poisoning, avoid the milkshake”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My wife and I have gone here several times since we live close by. They had an advertised happy hour with discount shakes/malts. She had a shake (she ordered a malt but she got a shake) and I got whatever thay call a blizzard. They tasted great. At 2 AM she woke up and was vomiting violently for about 20 minutes. Poor thing was feeling like crap for several hours afterwards. I noticed my leftovers had pieces of fruit in it that weren't supposed to be there. It looks like they weren't overly concerned with cleaning the equipment that night. We won't be going back there. We'll to to Dairy Queen or Snookies for ice cream from now on.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Michael R

Huxley, Iowa
“Yum”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

when i first had this i wasn't that impressed. but, the food has won me over, however, i would hesitate to get a ice cream cone (small), and the shakes are just ok. But, overall the hamburgers are pretty darn good.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank leslee74
Ankeny, Iowa
“Try again”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Ordered the SUPER sonic burrito and it was anything BUT SUPER. They forgot the sausage and the onions were too strong. I also ordered the steak and cheese burrito but they forgot the picante sauce. the french toast sticks were the best part of the meal and those were great. Cherry limeades are always a hit. Ice cream is good. I will chalk today's visit up to understaffed/overworked. I will try it again as their food is generally pretty good.

Visited December 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
“If you want hot food and don't go here. Everytime we have ordered food at any of their locations it's warm or cold. On...”
Reviewed 14 July 2010

If you want hot food and don't go here. Everytime we have ordered food at any of their locations it's warm or cold. On the other hand, if you are just wanting a Route 44 Strawberrry Limeade - this is the place!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good fast food. I don't love the eat in the car thing. But the flame broiled burger was worth it. The service could...”
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Good fast food. I don't love the eat in the car thing. But the flame broiled burger was worth it. The service could use some improvement.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook