“Don't go for German food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hessen Haus
Ranked #24 of 563 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Pub, Central European
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
McAllen, Texas, United States
“Don't go for German food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I understand why beer drinkers love this place, but we were looking for good German food and were disappointed based on other TripAdvisor reviews. The food was good, but not memorable. However, the service was great. We asked to split an entree, and they were extremely accommodating.

Visited May 2014

Fairplay, Colorado
“An Excellent Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We celebrated our son's graduation from Drake University with a meal at Hessen Haus. A lovely day, we were able to eat outside on the patio and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The entire family also shared a "boot" of Oktoberfest beer, much to the delight of our son. The food was excellent and there was a large variety of items to choose from so each family member was able to select a meal to their liking. We will visit Hessen Haus on our next visit to Des Moines.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Artemis112013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“German goodness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I sat at the bar and the bartender was amazing. He let me sample nearly every beer on draft. I settled on several, and then had a couple from the bottle. Very good selection of German beers. The food was excellent - I can't pronounce the name, but it was a solid piece of pork with a knife through the middle. Large portion and better flavor. Only a quarter mile or so from the Residence Inn.

• Visited May 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A boot? I think so!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Who wouldn't want to drink from a huge glass boot? I didn't have the food; we just drank good beer. The atmosphere was relaxing and fun.

Omaha, Nebraska
“Authentic German meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Whole Foods guy mentioned this place for the beer, so I decided to try it for a meal. Was glad I did, they worked with me getting some flights so I could try more of the beers, and the bartender found me an off-list brew that was my favorite of the 8 when I said surprise me on the last choice. Food was fantastic, nice ambiance. Would visit again when I'm in town.

• Visited April 2014