Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, and had a great experience. This hotel is very clean, and the staff is very friendly. We had booked a corner room overlooking the river, and I think the corner room is what made the difference. It was pretty quiet (except for the one evening where there was an event going on in the atrium that had steel drum music). But, that event seemed to be handled well, and things were quiet by about 8:00 pm, which was nice.

We'll definitely stay here again on any future trip to Des Moines.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be quieter and are more private.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Naberius;

The corner rooms we have are indeed great and even a little larger than the standard suites that we have at the Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown. I am glad that you found everything to be super clean and that the staff provided hospitable and friendly service.

We look forward to your return.

Skip Hammerman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed at Embassy Suites while attending a family reunion. It was great to have breakfast available for the kids every morning without leaving the hotel. The staff was especially friendly and accomodating to us upon our arrival. I will deffinately being staying at Embassy Suites again next year when I return to Iowa.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed three nights and loved our room, but we attended a convention and they ran out of chairs for the keynote speaker. They ran out of coffee cups for the breaks and often there were long queues. The food was expensive and not exceptional.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Kathy M;

Thank you very much for your comments. Please accept my apologies for the less than perfect experience you had. I have asked our Catering Team to look into this so we can determine what caused this and how to prevent this from happening again even if it must have been a very isolated incident as our meeting ratings typically are very high and the meeting planner feedback we receive is outstanding.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stay during the Des Monies Marathon. Great stay. They even served a full breakfast to all us Marathoners that were up very early. Thank you! We stay here again. The 200 word minimum is a stupid requirement for a review.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Spent two nights in October at this property and was very happy with our stay overall. I would definitely return if the need to stay in downtown Des Moines ever came up again. Rooms are spacious and ours was very clean. Nice view of the Capitol building, and no issues with noise, even with the bar / restaurant on the first floor in the atrium. Part of the good value mentioned in my title comes from the fantastic breakfast that is included in the price of the stay. Very good omlette bar, and lots of other options. Had my wife and I gone out to a Perkins for brekfast and eaten what we had here, we would've easily paid $40 with a tip for our breakfast meal each day...if you're going to be around for breakfast, this definitely should be considered when you're looking at the price of your stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear DEEGEE21;

Thank you for your detailed positive review of our property. I am delighted that you enjoyed our two room suites and space they offer compared to a standard hotel room offered by other hotels. The breakfast truly is our "pride and joy" and the friendly staff will always assure that omelets are exceptional and that the buffet is well stocked and plentiful. I hope that you will back soon to stay with us!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Let me start by saying I really do like this hotel. The rooms are nice and the location is outstanding. So you may ask, why the three star rating? You see, I really believe in first impressions and upon arrival we stood at the front desk for what seemed like a long time. Not an issue if the hotel is busy, but that was not the case.

There were two men working the front desk, the one was on the phone, which I can except, but he hung up the phone, did not acknowledge us, went to the back room, came back and answered the phone again without saying a word or even looking our way. The other was working with a pile of room bills and was trying to figure something out but never looked up.

Finally, the guy on the phone looked up and checked us in, but as stated, first impression count.

The highlight of our stay was the room service lady, Rachael, who had an outstanding personality and was wonderful on the phone. We ordered some appetizers to hold us over since our dinner was expected to be late. She was very sweet on the phone, took my small order and upon delivering it expressed to us to enjoy our dinner out and look her up for some dessert later. Five stars Rachael.

We also enjoyed the chef that was cooking breakfast. He spoke to all the guest and really seemed like he enjoyed his job. He'd make a good salesman or better yet, put him at the front desk! Four and a half stars.

I will stay at this hotel again, I just think the front desk needs to get their stuff together. They get one or maybe two stars for this visit.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CharlieC33

Dear CharlieC33;

Please accept my apologies for the less than attentive service you received at the Front Desk! I am glad that the rest of your stay was very nice and that Rachel provided you with the level of service we all can be proud of. She truly is a "Five Star" associate. I also appreciate your comments regarding our Breakfast Cook. I hope you trust me when I tell you that the Front Desk typically do an excellent job - obviously we missed our mark with you this time, but it should not happen again.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was in Des Moines for a 2 day conference and chose to stay in the Embassy Suites due to the location and reputation. I was very pleased with the experience. It is a beautiful hotel with courteous staff. I will be back again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for your great comments - I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.