Overall, a nice a play to stay.
We pulled into the valet area on a recent, busy Saturday afternoon. We were promptly greeted and informed of parking prices ($24 valet, or free on the weekends across the street with skywalk access to hotel). We opted for the free route which proved a little difficult for our group. Apparently, reading overhead signs is not our strong suit. That or it wasn't marked well...up for debate.
Check-in was a breeze. Two nice young ladies were ready to check in both of our groups and we had arrived early. A map or directions would have been appreciated as the hotel is large, but we managed okay. Service was fine, nothing spectacular nor underwhelming..just average.
Finding our room wasn't too difficult once we located the elevator amongst the crowded lobby. We were told there were greater than five weddings held on this particular day, thus the busy activity. Our room was adequate; again, nothing spectular nor underwhelming. The decor was modern and the beds, furniture in nice shape and clean.
We did visit the pool which was a really nice area located on the 3rd floor. The lounging area around the pool was pretty fabulous with cushioned chairs, towels and tables. The gym area was not used by any of us, but you walked through part of it to get to the pool and it all looked like modern, well maintained equipment.
The wedding couple we were there for had arranged for transportation for the entire group of guests. The staff helping load busses were extremely friendly and seen joking around with guests. A nice touch.
In the morning, we did try to eat at the restaurant, but as there wasn't a greeter or hostess to be seen we sat ourselves. The waitress approached and was less than thrilled to speak to us. She questioned why we were seated where we were and who put us there. Grumbling, she said she would return. After a few minutes she returned with water, again stating she would be back. We sat for about seven minutes without her coming back to us. We decided to leave as this was not how we needed to start our day. Downstairs we went to get coffee from Starbucks (mine was terrible, another person loved theirs). They also had a small selection of pastry items and refrigerator things. It was all less than we'd hoped for, but met our needs.
Check-out was quite simple. A note was passed under our door overnight and said we could call the front desk to be checked out. We did as such and were off.
We would stay here again, but would plan to eat elsewhere for breakfast. Would recommend to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy luxury at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, a hotel in Des Moines, Iowa ideally located in the downtown business district just four miles from the airport and connected to the Iowa Events Center and Wells Fargo Arena by skywalk. We are one of the most convenient downtown Des Moines hotels. Dine at the delectable on-site Rock River Grill and Tavern, or discover the innovative City Center Lounge for casual downtown libations. Guests can relax in our sparkling pool or coffee shop and stay connected with our business center and free wi-fi in public areas. Highlighted by 25,000 square feet of space, Des Moines Marriott Downtown is ideal for conferences, weddings, retreats and events of all sizes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Des Moines Marriott Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Des Moines Marriott Downtown Hotel Des Moines
- Marriott Des Moines
- Des Moines Marriott Downtown Iowa