“Nice place to stay”

Des Moines Marriott Downtown
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Overall, a nice a play to stay.

We pulled into the valet area on a recent, busy Saturday afternoon. We were promptly greeted and informed of parking prices ($24 valet, or free on the weekends across the street with skywalk access to hotel). We opted for the free route which proved a little difficult for our group. Apparently, reading overhead signs is not our strong suit. That or it wasn't marked well...up for debate.

Check-in was a breeze. Two nice young ladies were ready to check in both of our groups and we had arrived early. A map or directions would have been appreciated as the hotel is large, but we managed okay. Service was fine, nothing spectacular nor underwhelming..just average.

Finding our room wasn't too difficult once we located the elevator amongst the crowded lobby. We were told there were greater than five weddings held on this particular day, thus the busy activity. Our room was adequate; again, nothing spectular nor underwhelming. The decor was modern and the beds, furniture in nice shape and clean.

We did visit the pool which was a really nice area located on the 3rd floor. The lounging area around the pool was pretty fabulous with cushioned chairs, towels and tables. The gym area was not used by any of us, but you walked through part of it to get to the pool and it all looked like modern, well maintained equipment.

The wedding couple we were there for had arranged for transportation for the entire group of guests. The staff helping load busses were extremely friendly and seen joking around with guests. A nice touch.

In the morning, we did try to eat at the restaurant, but as there wasn't a greeter or hostess to be seen we sat ourselves. The waitress approached and was less than thrilled to speak to us. She questioned why we were seated where we were and who put us there. Grumbling, she said she would return. After a few minutes she returned with water, again stating she would be back. We sat for about seven minutes without her coming back to us. We decided to leave as this was not how we needed to start our day. Downstairs we went to get coffee from Starbucks (mine was terrible, another person loved theirs). They also had a small selection of pastry items and refrigerator things. It was all less than we'd hoped for, but met our needs.

Check-out was quite simple. A note was passed under our door overnight and said we could call the front desk to be checked out. We did as such and were off.

We would stay here again, but would plan to eat elsewhere for breakfast. Would recommend to others.

1  Thank R_Huskers

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I don't know if I will ever go to Des Moines again, but if I do, I would stay at the Marriott Downtown. There is a nice bar/lounge area on the main floor near reception. The staff was friendly and had a good suggestion for a place to walk to nearby for a nightcap. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pixycon
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is an older property which Marriott probably took over. The rooms are okay, but not up to Marriott standards. Nothing special. The room service was fine. Food arrived in a timely manner. Had the Sunday brunch but again, nothing special. We stayed at this hotel based on other TripAdvisor recommendations. It's okay, but I would check out others.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Janhad,

I'm sorry your stay with us wasn't remarkable. We always appreciate feedback, good or bad, so that we can work to make our guest's stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here in late April for several days. It was a little confusing on our part, as my daughter stayed only one night and my son, his wife and there 10 month old daughter stayed only one night, while my wife and I stayed 3 nights. The hotel was extremely accommodating in arranging our several rooms and the day bed for the baby, which the hotel provided free of charge. The staff was very friendly and helpful in all that we needed.
The restaurant in the lobby was very nice and provided a nice late evening food source.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Room service took 1 hour 45 minutes. Breakfast at restaurant about the same. Hotel shuttle was so poorly operated, our party off 8 walked back to the hotel from the reception. A poorly run hotel top to bottom.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank TaosMoO
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

TaosMoO,

We try our best make sure all of our guest's needs are taken care of quickly and I am truly sorry that this was not the service you received. Weddings always keep us busy, but that is not an excuse for poor service. I invite you to stay with us again so that we may show you the brilliant service we promise, and the brilliant service all of our guests deserve.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had reservations based on recommendations of a wedding party. When I received conformation via e-mail we were notified that check in isn't until 4:00. Being as we were traveling from out of town we were hoping for a place to shower and change prior to the wedding scheduled for 4:30. The desk staff we spoke to couldn't have cared less about our needs, and verbalized how unimportant we are to them. We cancelled our reservations and cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Don F,

I am terribly sorry that you feel our staff couldn't have cared less about your needs. We do our best to accomodate early arrivals on any day and I am sorry that this was not communicated politely or accurately. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next trip to Des Moines so that we may have a chance to show you our best.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

While attending a wedding in Des Moines this past weekend (9 May-11May) my family and I stayed at this lovely hotel. We were pleased with our accommodations; however, I was especially pleased with my room (2302). I am profoundly hearing impaired, and my accessible room was fully equipped for my needs prior to my arrival. The room was attractively furnished and the housekeeper (Marie M.) should receive high marks for having cleaned the room and bathroom so thoroughly. Thank you, Marie.
~ The front-desk staff was warm and accommodating. ... I definitely recommend Marriott Downtown Des Moines for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The high floors lend to enjoying fantastic views of the city, especially at night.