“Great Hotel and Staff”

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Great Hotel and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This review is long overdue. My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We came to Des Moines to see a concert and celebrate our anniversary. Upon check in we were informed that the hotel upgraded our room to the presidential suite, as a anniversary gift from the hotel. What a very nice and unexpected surprise!! We have been to Des Moines before and have always liked the city and people and this just solidified our feelings. The only small complaint would be that the room walls are very thin and both mornings around 6:30 we were woken by our neighbor talking on the phone. This was a small price to pay for feeling like a queen and king. Thank you to the staff at the Marriott for this wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMS06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights during the week on business, and I would rate this property as average compared to other Marriott properties I have stayed in. I will compliment the hotel staff (from front desk, to valet attendants, to restaurant staff) as very pleasant and helpful. There was always a greeting at the door. This property could use some upgrades to their beds, I stayed in a room with double beds, and they were quiet uncomfortable and did not provide a good nights sleep.
Also an upgrade should be considered to the TV's in the room (including out dated remotes).

The pro's to this location again was the fact that it is located in the heart of downtown walking distance to most businesses, and other nearby restaurants. Their is also free coffee in the room (look under the TV stand), and there is also a Starbucks in the lobby as well as some other dining options at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MoreTravel2016
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
SATanthony,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate the positive reponse to our hotel staff. While I do apologize that you did not have a comfortable stay with us, I am glad that we could provide a central location for all of your downtown activities. I hope we will continue to be your choice for any future trips to Des Moines.
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were in for only one night but I can find very little, if anything to ding this place about. The door man greeted us at the turn about. We had scoped out street parking as to avoid the parking fee (which seems out of line for Des Moine). He suggested that we park across the street because it was free on the weekend and to take the walkway from the garage to the hotel since it was pouring rain. Very nice. We were greeted by staff and treated warmly. While we didn't take advantage of many of there amenities, our room was clean and quite despite the throngs of wedding people and baseball players. I agree that the fee for an overnight is a bit high. Not much is included in that price but we enjoyed the downtown area especially the local microbreweries and the Hessen Haus -- superb!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Among the 6 hotels where I recently stayed in the Midwest, this was by far the worst and sadly the most expensive. When I was a road warrior in the 80's and 90's, I considered Marriott the best value among business hotel chains, with consistent quality of decor and amenities across the US. But this Marriott in downtown Des Moines made me aware that Marriott has lowered their standards while nickel and diming for amenities that had been included in the room price at the other 5 hotels I visited. While there was nothing wrong with the room furnishings, I would guess that their "faux royal" hallway carpet hadn't been updated since the 1970's. Two bottles of Fiji water in the room were tempting until I saw the $5/bottle tags. I was going to check my email in my room until I got a message on my laptop that there would be a $10 wifi charge. Unlike the simple complimentary breakfast buffet (bread, cereal, juice, yogurt, hardboiled eggs) and free parking provided at the other chains, breakfast items in the lobby had a la carte charges and there was no free parking. These markups would not be shocking in Manhattan, Chicago, DC, SF, or LA, but c'mon guys, get real, it's only Des Moines. When I checked in at sunset in this Marriott's depressing construction zone neighborhood, there were fat middle-aged guys racing around the streets on loud motorcycles. Two hours later when I was trying to go to sleep, I could still hear the motorcycles of these aging bikers. I was surprised that the hotel staff hadn't called police to stop the illegal speeding and disturbing of the peace after 10 pm. The only reason I give this hotel more than 1 circle is that the lobby staff were pleasant at check-in and check-out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank gitaine
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
gitaine,

We apologize that your stay was nowhere near satisfactory for you. As a full-service Marriott property, we are not at liberty to offer the same complimentary amenities as other chains and select service hotels. While we acknowledge Des Moines is not as large as the cities you mentioned, it is the largest city in Iowa with downtown traffic and buildings that echo noise. Thank you for the positive feedback concerning our front office staff. We certainly hope we have the opportunity to service you again should your travels bring you back to Des Moines
Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

was in town on business so can't attest to the value of the room rates but the rooms are nice sized, clean and relatively quiet. The lobby bar is comfortable and the food served is fast and tasty. The exercise facility and pool in this hotel are SUPERB, was very pleased with the selection of equipment. The lobby has a snack/coffee shop serving Starbucks coffee which is also very convenient for those early morning meeting departures. I found that having to pay $10/day for internet and $22/day to valet park my rental car hugely disconcerting, way too expensive for Des Moines, IA. Not related directly to the hotel but the downtown area looks like a war zone and seems relatively deserted, not much to do. Overall a good experience tho

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 201pilot
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Went there to see my grandson graduate as a doctor from Des Moines University. The people there could not have been more courteous and helpful, not only upon arrival, but throughout the stay. The food was very good and the decor was very nice. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had several family members staying in various rooms and all were great.
Green Features: The hotel is green conscious so has environmentally-friendly practices in place and some you may participate in as well.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Geneva, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is excellent downtown. It has nice ok rooms and has access to the walkway system and is close to the convention center. It just isn't a great stay though. Nothing really remarkable. If you need a centrally downtown located hotel, then this is the spot for you.

Stayed May 2014
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Troy G,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback from our guests so that we can improve their stay with us, current and future. I apologize that your stay wasn't exceptional, but I am glad that we were centrally located to all of your plans.