“I'd come back to Des Moines if I knew I was staying here!”

Des Moines Marriott Downtown
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Duluth, Minnesota
“I'd come back to Des Moines if I knew I was staying here!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel! Very upscale--nicely appointed room, clean, impressive toiletries, and the nicest bed linens! Discounted price since I was part of a conference block of rooms--good value! Great service--I was even able to check in early which started my conference experience on a high note. Which I would add--this is a great conference hotel!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My husband recently had business in Des Moines, so we decided to make it a family trip. (The crew included my husband, myself, and our 2 young sons).

Upon arrival, the woman at the desk was friendly enough, but not terribly informative. We wouldn't have known about the times/location of the Concierge Lounge had it not been listed on our key sleeve. The Bellman that brought up our luggage, however, was SUPER nice. Very friendly and very informative. He is so great at his job. He was a huge help. Actually, every Bellman that I encountered was wonderful. One was even so kind as to help me fix my stroller (I messed up the wheel at the science museum).

The location was perfect for us. We could easily walk to go eat, to the sculpture park, and to the library. And even though there was street construction close by, it was still simple to get anywhere by car.

Rooms were nice. Not large, and the bathrooms were small- but they were nice and clean. We also had a lovely view from the 22 floor. The only housekeeping concern I saw was that some inconsiderate guest spilled a latte on a hallway table early one morning. It stayed there, spilled and dripping on the floor, until late that evening when I told someone. I was just worried about a stain.

As Marriott Rewards Members, the lounge was nice and that is where we had our breakfast every morning. I was worried about bringing the boys in since there were several people there that looked to be on business, but the staff was wonderful- very welcoming.

We thoroughly enjoyed the indoor pool. Often, indoor pools are dark, damp, and seem dirty no matter what. But this one is large and it is very well done. It can be a bit dark in there, but the large sky lights help. And the furnishings are very nice. The towels are very tiny, so keep that in mind. It is located by the gym, which is also nice and well equipped.

Lastly, our wifi was a bit spotty. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and most often it was very slow. Also, we didn't seem to get ESPN. Not a big deal, but we were trying to watch USA play in the World Cup, but couldn't from our room.

Overall, it was a great experience for us. We most always stay at Marriott properties, and this one is high up on my list. We would definitely recommend it and would definitely stay here again.

I gave it 4 stars because of the hit/miss service from the front desk and the fact that since there seems to be a lot of business travel, wifi can be important. But 5 stars for location, quality of gym and pool, and for the awesome Bellmen and Concierge Staff!

Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We are Marriott Elite members who have stayed nearly 500 nights within their hotel chain. Never in all this time have I encountered a full Marriott with such small rooms. The bathroom was incredibly small...and we are average sized people. The staff was not personable. No one asked how our stay had been when we checked out. They seemed to be the most self-absorbed Marriott employees I have ever met. It was very disappointing. I wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
sjkies,

We apologize that you did not feel welcomed during your stay with us. Our intent is to make personal connections with each and every one of our guests. We appreciate your feedback as we value every opportunity to improve our guest's experience. We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here to attend a wedding. From the start the front desk never could figure out who we were. We had a reservation under a wedding block but at check in were placed in a room under another. Spoke to 2 separate employees (the first who used body language that implied he didn't want to be bothered on the issue) who both again did not fix the issue. At check out spoke to a 3rd employee (who apparently thought it was a funny matter and laughed the whole time) who again didn't clear up the matter. It took 3 days after and two phone calls (the 2nd to corporate-I quit dealing with the hotel itself) to get the correct rate- they kept over charging us. Their instructions on parking were misleading to us- stated the parking garage across the street is $19/day when in fact Friday evening until Monday morning it's free- I'm guessing they wanted us to pay the $21 for their valet. All food/drink options in the hotel are way over priced even for the area. The room was a standard size room with standard amenities- nothing special. Pool/Fitness area was above standard for the type of hotel- a nice bonus. The hotel public areas and the room were kept clean and maintained. However there are many other options in the area that for the same price offer more (this one charges for wifi in room, parking)- wouldn't stay here again if I was paying the standard rate.

Room Tip: Friday evenings to Monday mornings- street parking but also the city garages (one right across stree...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Des Moines M, Guest Service Representative at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
LoveToRoadTrip99,

We certainly apologize for the inconveniences and lack of attentiveness leading up to, during, and the follow-up required on your end after your stay. Please trust that our intent is to ensure each guest leaves satisfied. We are glad that you enjoyed our public spaces and hope to have the opportunity to host you again in Des Moines.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We wanted a little get away for the 4th of July weekend, so my wife and I decided on Des Moines Marriott. The front desk was excellent suggesting where to see fireworks, dinner, events going on in the city and breakfast the next day. Everything that they suggested was a great time or a great restaurant. The only bad part was that our room didn't view any fireworks. Again great customer service. That is how a hotel should be. Our biggest complaint was a charge for internet service, every hotel should have this for free. Coffee shops have it for free why not Marriott?

Room Tip: The higher rooms have a better view.
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay in the Marriott Des Moines Downtown. Once again, right on the AVA Capital Walk trail for our Volksmarching friends! Valet parking was about $20 bucks but worth it as the hotel is smack downtown. Great room, good staff, breakfast in Concierge Lounge was a little hard to find from the Lobby - escalators go to 2d floor!

Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights for the Des Moines Art Festival. We arrived by car, drove up under the canopy and was asked if we wanted to valet or self park. We wanted to self park and was given directions...take a right, another right, then a left 2 blocks, blah, blah blah. Would have been nice to A) at least park for a sec and take our bags out and check in then park, B) handed a slip with a map and parking directions. Not the best first impression.
Totally enjoyed the stay and service inside, being Gold we were upgraded to a concierge floor room, given concierge lounge access (breakfast there and in restaurant on Saturday, plus light snacks Thu. evening) and free WiFi. We walked to the art fair and dinner a couple blocks away...skywalk is very nice in the rain or late night.
Typical room but at a fair price and loads of complimentary extras.
Nice workout area...the standard aerobic equipment but also some good strength machines.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple