“Clean and close to downtown and airport”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Iowa
“Clean and close to downtown and airport”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My family and I stayed at the hotel one night. It is next to the Des Moines airport and 10 minutes from downtown and Zombie burger. Newly renovated however there were items that were worn out already. New carpet, flat screen TV, free wi-fi, comfortable bed and fairly comfortable pull out couch.

Continental breakfast with small dining area. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hawkeye27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Temple Hills, Maryland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Excellent location right off the highway. Outside look of the building could use some improvement but the inside was excellent. Excellent staff and breakfast was normal. One of the better Choice Hotel locations. Some of the photos on TripAdvisor are outdated. My only issue I had was not the hotels fault but I had a hard time sleeping most of the night because people were going from room to room and letting the doors slam until 2-3am and thier rooms seemed to be on all sides of us.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jedivader
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Well, before I get into anything else... just like the title says, the people made the difference. I was booked in here for one of my trade shows, and I was having a large restock order sent in to arrive on Friday. UPS decided that they knew better than I did when I actually needed this, and they decided to deliver it on Monday instead. Monday, I'm usually back home, so this presents an issue for me.

The staff here helped me in every way they could on this, and went above and beyond what they had to do, and really made this as painless as they could for me. Kudos for them, and it's the reason why I gave this review a 5 star rating... if you look over my reviews, you know that I -rarely- give out five stars.

Covering a few points for the detail oriented: This hotel is at the end of a service road, tucked in so close to the ramp for the highway that my GPS wants me to take the ramp onto the highway and turn right to get there. That doesn't work, as you might imagine. Go down the road about a block, take the entrance in front of the BP gas station (going from memory) and pass the Wendy's, and there you go.

This is a two story installation, and I didn't see any elevators. Be prepared. I reserved a ground floor room.

The ice machine works well, and produces nice well-frozen ice without any silly "no cooloers" signs on the machine. It was a slight walk away from my room, but not too bad.

Breakfast was a fairly typical affair, but the biscuits and gravy were actually more tasty than I had anticipated.

The internet had to be signed into about twice a day, but otherwise was reasonably fast.

The bathroom had a short toilet, but at least it was a decently oval one. The shower was OK for water pressure and temp, nothing spectacular. As a tall guy, I was looking down at the shower head, though.

All the minor issues were washed away with how nicely the staff worked with me to take care of that shipping issue, though. So, I had no trouble recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kansasccw
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Traveling through Iowa last week, my business partner and I decided to stop midway between Colorado and Ohio. We booked into the Quality Inn of North Des Moines Iowa. The room was on a par with other Comfort/Quality Inns I had stayed at which means comfortable and clean.

The disappointment came when we went down for breakfast and found that they didn't have a waffle machine! The posters and other literature about their breakfast showed hot waffles. I had never been to a Choice Hotels chain hotel that didn't have the waffles. We went elsewhere for breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room faced the freeway but we couldn't hear it at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Clarinda, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We booked rooms over the internet, got there later in the evening. Desk lady rude, TV didn't work, room & halls smelly, rooms were older and not well kept & I had to walk forever to get to the front desk to get keys to a different room since TV didn't work. After reading the reviews posted so far, I'm not sure we were at the same hotel. Will not be staying again

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula P
Reviewed 1 January 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a very good price. Front Desk service was excellent. Breakfast was very good with lots of assortments including fresh fruit. The person serving the food was very pleasant and very helpful. The rooms, the entry way and the breakfast area were very clean! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOY2_13
Aitkin, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Rate are great and the rooms are out standing and clean the personal are very help full and friendly. I would stay there again in a heart beat. they have a free breakfast in the morning. this is where I will stay from know on

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
#32 of 48 in Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#13 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!