“Over night stay”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Muscatine, Iowa, United States
“Over night stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at this property on our visit to Des Moines for the state fair and Adventure Land. Will be back, love the friendly staff, clean rooms and the location. The beds were very comfortable and sheets felt clean. Like the lemonade in the lobby, nice tuch.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you very much for you feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I think you will agree, the Iowa state fair is one of a kind and a must do. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
IOWA
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Pulled up, gave my keys to the valet, checked in and was in my capitol view room within 5 minutes. Yes valet was $16 which I knew of going into it however It was worth it to me to save my energy from finding a place to park. Hotel is close to all of the bars/eaterys. My wife and I elt very safe walking back the block or so at 2am. The nice thing with with place is they will drive you anywhere within 3 miles and then come back and pick you up for free. @ one point the drivers were on airport runs and I was told it would be 20 min. (no problem) 3 minutes later I got a call telling me the manager was on her way. Very cool people. Make sure you check out Zombie Burger which they will take you to. Thanks again Renaissance downtown desmoines for being so kick as$. I think they have so many differant styles of rooms, our king had two full baths. So I would tell them your needs and maybe they can sugest the best room to meet your needs.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the capitol. If they can they will
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LETMPLAY
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. I would agree with the Zombie Burger trip. Well worth it!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We spent three nights at the Savery and would give it a favorable rating. The best thing was that we had two full bathrooms - big treat after being on the road for awhile with my husband. The thing I liked least was that the room is quite large and a fairly small TV was on the wall opposite the bed and too far to watch in bed. The Summer Olympics were on and I found this frustrating. The staff were all very nice to work with. The Court Street night life is a short walk and that was a plus.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments. Some of our historic rooms still have the two bathrooms which comes in handy for traveling families. Thanks also for the feedback on the television location and size. We will take a look at what we can do.
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The check in staff is HORRIBLE. The staff member and the supervisor charged my debit card for 4 nights vs. 2 nights. As I went up the chain of command the excuses were less. Make this your last choice please. It's 11.00 to park or 16.00 if you choose valet . The guys at the valet parking were great . A car was broken into at the 11.00 a night garage .
The hotel was only able to comp me 2 mornings of a free breakfast which I could already get because I am a Marriott rewards member. Per the manager Tina at the time the 2 restaurants and the valet service are all separate from the hotel. Save your trip , your sanity and your money . Don't stay at the Renaissance UnSavery Hotel

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Hotelfox1
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
We are truly sorry for the authorization hold on your debit card. In speaking with your bank to day, it will be reversed by the end of the day today. Once again, I apologize for the error.
Dodgeville
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The Renaissance Savery Hotel is an historic building with multiple touches of luxury.
The rooms, lobby, and hallways are all tastefully decorated. The pool and jacuzzi can
only be described as elegant. The jacuzzi was a delightfully warm 105 degrees. If you drive
a hybrid, the valet parking is totally free. The employees were all helpful and accommodating. Four miles of walkways connect the downtown hotels and convention centers.
If you will be in Des Moines, the Renaissance Savery is the place to stay! Paul 4ejjr

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul4ejjr
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to your return. Those skywalks come in handy in the 100 degree days we have had as well as the cold winter days.
Omaha
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We wanted a quick weekend getaway for our anniversary. We wanted something nice, with a pool/hot tub(as always), and near downtown. We booked this hotel and we're surprisingly thirlled with the location. After driving around Downtown I think this is closest hotel to all the bars and restaurants. We we're 1-2 blocks walk away from everything.

The room was very small...but clean and well decorated. The beds were very comfortable. We did have to pay for parking..and breakfast was not included. They did have wifi included which was nice.

The pool was a bit of a dissapoitment. It was located in the basement with no natural light. The hot tub had something wrong with the fan. It made an extremely loud whistle that was a huge annoyance. It was so loud you could hear it in the entire basement.

I was told this hotel was one of the oldest hotels in Des Moines. Parts of the the hotel had that feel..but they've done many modern updates. It was a good hotel. Worth the $130 a night we spent. On the weekdays it jumps up to over $200.00. I don't think I would spend that comfortably though.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a easy walk to all of downtown...this is your hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chad B
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you taking the time to share your feedback. Our hotel is the closest to Court Avenue with all of the bars and restaurants and we are also the closest to the Civic Center as well as Wells Fargo Arena and Hyvee Hall. We will be renovating the pool and spa area hopefully in2013. Thanks again!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is a very unique, charming hotel. It has been renovated, but, some of the character has been left. The bathroom had the toilet on an angle and the flush handle was on the wall...It appeared to be the original...Very cool. The beds were very comfortable, but, a little small. I think they were full or double and we are used to a king size bed at home. The pool and spa area were very nice. We arrived late and had very little use of either. I just do not think they should close the pool and spa when people are in them relaxing. :( There were some mystery stains on the carpeting..Parking was a hassle. Overall, a very nice hotel, but, be prepared to somehow deal with parking in a garage or on the street as the hotel has no parking of their own. We enjoyed our one night stay.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ExploringMom
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our hotel. I will certainly address the issues you had with your room immediately.
Thanks again and we look forward to your return.