“Worst bar service ever”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The bar service was Dispicable. The bar tender, Alicia, is beyond bad. The manager, Anthony is even worse. Worst service I have ever had. Terrible. Beyond bad. Don't ever come here. Worst experience I have had.

• Stayed: December 2013
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

I sincerely apologize for the obvious lack of service you received from my staff. I can assure you I will address with those concerned and take corrective action. Thank you for taking the time to share with me.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Besides being a beautiful and well appointed hotel, the staff is friendly. Very friendly. They took time to make suggestions for places to eat and helped with directions through the skyway. the hotel provided free shuttle service to and from our dinner and we could have used the service for shopping destinations, too. (Tips appreciated.) One young man working the valet service even volunteered to go out and warm up my car just to make sure it would start the next day when we planned our departure. We were in Des Moines on an unusually cold weekend!

The room was one of the largest I have ever had the pleasure to stay in and the beds were soft and comfortable. We had a corner unit with windows on two sides. The small refrigerator was useful and the second sink also a bonus.

My only slight negative was how cold the main lobby got when people walked in and out of the main doors.

I would definitely stay at the Savery again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thak you for the great feed back on your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

PROS:
If you're looking for some history, this is a great find. The hotel is a national historic landmark, and it's a beautiful and well-kept building in the heart of downtown Des Moines. The location is fantastic. It's on the SkyWalk, and less than a block from the city's most popular restaurants, bars and cafes. It's a few blocks from the Convention Center, HyVee Hall and the Arena. The rooms are interestingly laid out, with each room being a bit different from one another. The lobby bar and restaurant are great and staffed well, with reasonable prices. Rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff is prompt. Products in the room are Aveda! Fridge and microwave are in the room, and a clean coffee pot. Beds, sheets and towels were comfortable.

CONS:
The hotel is very old; and, while it's well-kept and clean, it accordingly lacks some of the conveniences a newer hotel offers. Every room is different, so it's hard to expect what you're going to get. Our room's layout was bizarre: when you walked in, the kitchenette area was to your left, a tiny office area in front, then you walked into a bed area before going up steps into the bathroom. The layout made putting our luggage down where we wouldn't be walking an unnecessarily complicated issue, as there was really no where to put it. The bathroom was tiny and had no room to place your toiletries. Interestingly, the hotel is so old that bathrooms for each room had to be added in the 1930's, so understandably the bathroom's small size is due to the fact it wasn't planned into the room in the first place. There is no coin laundry in the building, the elevators are slow and often get jammed on a floor (press the down button several times if this happens to you), the internet is awful and the front desk staff seems reluctant to want to look up from their computers to answer your questions. Parking is $16/night. The heater makes a funny noise as it warms up, so don't be alarmed when you hear the walls creaking.

Overall, I would stay here again due to the great location and historical significance of the building.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask what your specific room will be like.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the great feedback on yor stay. I will certainly pass along the information to my staff.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Don't let the title of my review give you the wrong impression, I am going to give this place a great review but I'll get to why I chose it at the end.

I first began staying at the Renaissance 5 years ago. Fantastic hotel right in the middle of downtown Des Moines.

I no longer live in Des Moines but I'm from there and the downtown is beautiful. The area around the hotel is nice and there is a garage right next to it. Easy to get to and for those in the city for the first time, you will feel perfectly safe.

The hotel itself is a great blend of old and new. Its a historic building that has been kept up and modernized without losing any of that history. The staff have always been friendly at the front desks. I can't speak to the bellmen as I always take my own bags. Must be the Midwest in me but unless i'm lugging a bag of bricks, Ill always carry my own bags.

The room are mostly a hit, but there are a few misses it just depends on the room. I use discount rates quite a bit so that's likely why but I've gotten some rooms that are much smaller than other and still look like some renovations are ongoing. This has been rare but its a let down when you open your room and see that.

In EVERY room you are getting the amazing Marriott beds. I always sleep like a baby in one. Whenever I need more pillows or what not, staff is up in no time. Please is quiet as a tomb so if you need a good night of sleep, this is your place.

Pool is nice, but small and shallow which is common for hotels. However, I've rarely seen more than a few people in there so its pretty private.

Lets discuss the change part I alluded to in my title. This hotel used to have my favorite bar in the world. It was a speakeasy with brown leather chairs and soft jazz playing. The first place I ever had Templeton Rye back when it was hard to get. Now? They have pallets of templeton at Costco and they completely changed the bar. Gone are the nice chairs and tables, replaced with white leather and glass/aluminum tables. Not a good change at all and I wont step one foot in there now.

If you never had a drink in the bar before the change this will not matter to you but I was not pleased when the made it over.

Don't let my woes dissuade you, this is a great hotel and if you have never experienced downtown Des Moines you should stay here and walk to court.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hawkinn39
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you do not find our new Coda Lounge as comfortable as the old bar. We have tried to make it like relaxing in your own living room. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have stayed here many times over the years.

Here is my breakdown:

Valet:
Their staff have always been nice to me. Although sometimes hard to find the Valet staff. I believe that they are also the bellhops, so they often run errands as well.
I would definitely recommend more full-time dedicated valet staff.

Lobby Bar:
AMAZING Staff. I forget his name, but the gentleman working the night of 4/11/2013 was absolutely amazing. Got me blue-cheese stuff olives when I asked (had to go into the back to make them, but still did).
Totally went above and beyond the call of duty.

Front-desk staff:
Friendly. Always greeted me with a smile and hello as I entered. Recognized my Platinum status.

Concierge lounge:
Average.

Internet/TV:
Sucks. Sorry to be so blunt. As I said, I have stayed here several times over the years (probably at 5) and have to say, every time that the internet service sucks.
I am a business traveler and have to be able to connect to the VPN for work. The network dropped so much that I could never stay connected. I couldn't even stay connected long enough on my iPad to be able to download an app.
I did end up going to the lobby bar to use the internet (the connection in the lobby much better then the rest of the hotel).

I understand it's an old hotel, but internet in today's society (especially for the business traveler) is one of those things that HAS to be up to speed and work reliably.

The TV stations had several blank channels and not many at that. Meh... it's a hit and miss in every city you go to whether "your" channel will be on the TV.

Overall:
Beautiful building, modern lobby. Would have been nice to have somewhere to put my clothes if I wanted to unpack. The rooms, depending on which you get of course, are typically big enough to fit a dresser in. It would be nice to look into that as it's a common amenity in most hotels now a days. I'd recommend staying here, just be aware of the internet.

Room Tip: Well, 932's internet sucks...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

My apologies for the internet service. We are working with our vendor to solve our issues on high demand time for internet. I do appreciate the kind comments on our staff and will certainly pass along your feedback to them. Thank you again.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Was here over the weekend to watch some Iowa Wild hockey action. Saw the Milwaukee Admirals checking in when we got there.

Hotel is very nice; very representative of the Renaissance brand. Our two-double room wasn't huge, but was big enough. It also had a walk-in closet, so if you're a steamer-trunk kind of traveler, that would probably be good for you.

Linens were clean, beds were comfy, elevators were good, location downtown was easy. Parking is not free, but there is a ramp that is pretty cheap just across the front door of the lobby.

Considering it was the same price as the Marriott for our stay, I thought it was a great bargain.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for the very kind comments on your stay with us. We do appreciate your feedback and for choosing us for your Des Moines stop.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The rating should be 3.75 stars - I rounded up to four stars. My husband and I found the staff to be very helpful. We received excellent customer service during our entire stay. The room was very comfortable - we slept well every night. You can tell it is a renovated hotel because when we turned up the heat, the heater in the room started knocking. This may be odd, but we found this to be a charming aspect of the historic property. The down sides were few. 1) The internet/wifi connection is spotty, particularly in the evening. This needs to be improved. 2) We had to constantly giggle the cables in the back of the TV in our room to get the remote to work. 3) The food at the main restaurant on the first floor and room service was bland. Overall - it was a reliable hotel with great service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are continuing to work on our internet performance. It is only during peak usage times that we are experiencing challenges. Thank you again.