“Trendy and Comfortable”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
midwest
“Trendy and Comfortable”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Found a bargain price for this very trendy hotel in downtown Des Moines. Amazing place with a nice bar and grill.

I will say first that the heat was difficult to control. Better to be too warm that too cold, I suppose.

My corner room had two beds and TWO BATHS, which was excellent for teaming up with a few more people. But I was traveling alone. The huge window was very nice and the desk was comfortable to work at. Lastly, the bed was extremely comfortable and all appointments were tasteful and fun.

Room Tip: Ask if you have two bathrooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. Hope to see you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here several nights recently on a business trip.

The front desk staff were courteous, helpful and fast.

My room had a nice work desk, a lounge chair, bed and separate area with a refrigerator and microwave. It was very comfortable and met my needs for the stay. I didn't really see any other guests during my stay, so perhaps they were minimally occupied, but I didn't hear anyone else either--which was great. I also appreciated the newspaper delivered to my door every day.

On the downside: the washroom was incredibly small, as noted by other reviewers. Mine did have a little shelf installed above the sink for toiletries which helped some. I do understand that this is an historic property and knocking down walls is a costly endeavor, but I do hope that somewhere in their long range strategic planning they realize the very serious need to improve the washrooms.

The fitness facility was functional, but in a very creepy basement. Also in the dungeon were the pool and hot tub. Despite it being in the negative double digits outside, the pool felt like it still had the ac going and suffered from notable deferred maintenance. Despite it being obviously clean, it just looked dingy, old, and scary. My room was freezing (more on that in a minute) so one night I decided to avail myself of the hot tub to warm up. The tub looked great--deep and with abundant jets, however, the water was warm at best, and the timer for the jets only went to 5 minutes. Seriously?!? While it's great that the hotel offers these amenities, they seriously need to spend some money and upgrade this area. As it is, it is completely subpar.

The only 'problem' I had with my room was that the heat wouldn't go above 70 degrees. While that may not sound like much of a problem, one whole wall was windows and it was frightfully cold and windy outside. My room was like an icebox. I cranked the heat the first night, only to wake up cold. I resorted to asking housekeeping for additional blankets, and bundled up while working at the desk at night.

On the plus side, the hotel is connected to the skywalk, which given the frightful weather was a truly beautiful thing.

Because of the issues noted above, I'd rate this hotel as average. Despite that, I had a decent stay and would probably choose to stay at this property again with one caveat. I enjoyed a significantly discounted corporate weekday rate. There is NO way I'd pay the full price to stay at this property--it's just not worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BusinessTraveler04
Anthony M, Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your comments, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences or discomfort during your stay. I will discuss your comments with the rest of the management team. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again!
Northglenn, Colorado
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had multiple rooms booked for a family wedding. All of the rooms were very nice. All of the rooms we booked had two bathrooms! We were traveling with several children, so I thought this was great! One bath had a shower, the other one had a shower/tub combo. Very nice. Some of the rooms are oversized and have a sitting area in the bedroom area.

My mother had a suite. The living area was huge, with a large entry way. We had a dining table for 8, 4 living room chairs, a pull out sofa and a large living area- with it's own bathroom! The hotel was well positioned with a connection to the skywalk (4 miles of heated, connected walkways) and was just a few minutes from a food court and many restaurants and shops. Palmer's Deli is a great option near the food court. Domino's pizza is across the street and the hotel has a restaurant in the lobby. The breakfast buffet is $11 for adults and $6 for kids- this includes drinks and an omelet station.

We enjoyed the hotel's pool and workout room. Both are located in the basement.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view of downtown. Suite 800 was fantastic!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. One of the unique features in some of our rooms are the two bathrooms. It is especially helpful with families. Our central location downtown really does make it convenient for all. Hope to see you again soon.
Nebraska
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Every year a group of people from a running group i belong to go to Des Moines, Iowa for the marathon. We stay at the Renaissance Savery Hotel. The hotel is an older building nestled downtown Des Moines. They hotel has been renovated, but still has the charm of an older hotel. Since we are there for the marathon, everything is within walking distance for us. It is only a few blocks from the arena, start/finish line and restaurants. The staff members are very helpful and professional. Our check-in is always quick and is friendly. Our rooms were very nice and updated. They are always very accommodating to us runners. It is very nice that they offer late check out on race day, which allows us to shower after the race.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us in October. We so much enjoy having the marathon start and finish close to the hotel. We do hope to see you again next year.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I had some work business in Des Moines and decided to stay at the Renaissance Savery hotel. It is an older hotel but has had some renovations done. The room was nice with a nice flat-screen tv, coffee maker and comfortable bed. My major complaint (mainly due to the age of the hotel) is the ultra-small bathroom - there was not even a sink top for my shaving supplies. The room was nice and quiet though. The hotel offers a nice and reasonable breakfast buffet which some very good food. It is also conveniently located by many restaurants and downtown. I would stay there again, although I would also check-out other options in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay. We are looking into updating the bathrooms and add more counter space soon.
Sunnyvale CA
Reviewed 21 December 2013

As a flight crew member, this hotel has clean confortable rooms and a very professional staff, and the walkways are great....

The Bos resturant has a great lunch buffet for $10...and Subbu and Joanie are to outstanding server...Plus, I got a discount being a crew member. Plus the bar in the evening was great...serve food until Midnight....Great Pizza's...

Room Tip: Rooms are super clean and the maids are super quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for the great feedback. We truly enjoy having our flight crews each day. I will be sure and pass along your feedback to the BOS staff. They will be thrilled.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I love this hotel!! Close to everything, access to the walkways, clean comfortable rooms and very helpful/friendly staff! The rooms are a bit on the small side the for some reason the toilets are cockeyed but it seems to work. Getting to the gym in the basement is a bit of a maze but worth it. I love staying here!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the great feedback from your stay with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.