“Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Des Moines, Iowa
“Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I am a gold elite member and they made sure to recognize it. I received a free upgrade. The room had two bathrooms, a nice view of the city, and had a table that could seat 8. It was a weekend so they offered me free breakfast or points for their restaurant. I appreciated that. Some Marriotts only offer a standard breakfast but if you want hot food you have to pay for the upgrade. This staff was most accomodating. We asked for some extra lotion and less then 3 minutes later they were at the door with it. The food was delicious I was especially pleased by the fruit selection. They had the best blackberries. The pool was down for the entire weekend which was disappointing since I love to swim. I did check out the fitness center and it was adequate.There is valet parking available and the fee was $18 a day for that. I would describe this as a boutique hotel. I had no problem with my room. It was clean. I slept great. It is located on the skywalk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear IowaLoves2travel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests and particularly when we have delivered the stay and service that they expect and deserve.

We look forward to being of service to you in the very near future! We appreciate your business!

Regards
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have now stayed at the Renaissance Savery twice and was not impressed either time. The carpet and furniture are clearly worn and broken. The heating system constantly drips and clanks, making it impossible to sleep. There was hair all over my bathroom, which clearly hadn't been cleaned. Additionally, their conference rooms are dark and drap. They have updated their lobby, but the whole hotel needs a serious update.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Laura H.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us regarding your most recent stay a the Renaissance Savery Hotel.

I sincerely apologize that your visit with us was not up to your standards. As you know, we are an historical hotel that was built as the first high rise in the state in 1916. While we celebrate that history, it also provides us with some unique challenges as well.

As the new Owners, we are currently in the design stages to do a complete makeover of the property and are very excited at the changes that are being made. And, as the New General Manager at the property, I and my team are committed to offering the service that you expect and deserve at the Renaissance Savery in Des Moines.

We look forward to having you be our guest again so that you may see the dramatic changes being made to the product as well as our continued commitment to excellent service!

Thank you for your response and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

The savery Renassance Hotel by Marriott has been totally remodeled recently. We took a staycation there last weekend-great hotel, great location on the skywalk.
We had a room on the 11th.floor-a huge room-apparently this room has the same dimensions as when it was built in 1919-was considered an unusually luxurious room as it had a bathroom of its own-unlike the other rooms!

Room Tip: It is quiet hotel-the higher floors have better rooms
Green Features: It is good. I do not know what their practices are-this is a ridiculous question!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alumnus,

Thank you so very much for your review of your most recent stay with us! We are indeed pleased that you appear to have enjoyed your time here and that we provided you with the stay and service that you deserve!

We love having such a unique property and enjoy having our guests share in the history that it brings tot he guest experience!

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Regards
Mark
epeats
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I usually stay in the Downtown Des Moines Marriott when I visit but decided to try the Renaissance since I have had good luck with Renaissance in other cities. As a platinum member I am to receive an upgrade which I did receive but it only included two bathrooms and a little larger room. The hotel however had a musty smell in the rooms and the lobby smelled like the cafeteria in a middle school and not too appetizing or relaxing. Went to the happy hour on the club level on my second day and two workers were sitting in there all sprawled out and relaxing and in deep personal conversation about marriage/divorce issues. I was not offered a drink and neither even stood up to welcome me, etc. I had a little food but had to listen to their conversation for the entire time. Very unprofessional!!! On my 3rd day which was a weekend I had to go to the restaurant for breakfast. There was a line with about 5 different parities waiting yet there were empty tables in the restaurant. When people started asking why we weren't being seated we were told they were understaffed and had run out of food that we would have to wait for a table and for more food. I waited 30 minutes (out of nothing more than curiosity). I was finally seated and then surprisingly waited another 10 minutes for someone to even acknowledge that I was there and offer me a cup of coffee. They were correct in the fact that there was no food. This was the weekend of the Drake relays and they knew they were booked so not sure how they could be understaffed and not have enough food. Nobody seemed to care too much that people were upset and were leaving the restaurant, etc. All employees seemed very relaxed with the situation and almost like they were just used to upset customers. Very shocking since I am a platinum Marriott member and use Marriotts all over the world. This is probably the worst service and hotel I have experience within the Marriott family and I am extremely disappointed. The last thing to mention was the two cockroaches we spotted in this hotel. Not a good thing to see in a Marriott property!!!

Room Tip: If you want my tip for finding a good room . . . stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Tara M, Director of Sales at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for responding and sharing your concerns and thoughts. I greatly apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay and I would be just as disappointed if given the same situation. I have already spoken with our hotel staff to insure this does not happen in the future in the areas you addressed. Thank you for the feedback and we do hope to have the opportunity to have you as a guest again, going above and beyond your expectations
Webster City, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed her two nights for competitions my daughter was in the first night there we got a small room for the price you pay I expected bigger. Our room did not have a fridge or microwave so the bell man told us to call for one since they were free so I did, they brought it up and then we took kids to swim came back up to room 2 hours later and went to get something out of fridge and there was a HUGE cockroach on top of fridge and then a baby one by microwave. We ended up moving to different room and was not offered compensation for it was just told "well thats disgusting" Um ya think?

Room Tip: Dont ask for a fridge and microwave if ya dont have one unless you want to take cockroaches home!
Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for responding to your stay with us. I apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay. I would be disappointed if given the same situation. I will certainly get with my staff to insure this does not happen in the future.
Thank you again for the feedback.
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed there several nights….very small room for the cost, the only nice thing was we had two bathrooms. No maid service for a couple of days. There was a charge for Beer from the bar on our stay, we told them at check out that it was not ours and they took it off the bill. The next day I received a call saying unless I could come up with my receipt they were going to charge my bill anyway…..how rude. Thank god I didn't pay with cash and could come up with my receipt ! Embassy Suites is right down the road and is much cheaper with cheaper parking, happy hour and a free breakfast….never again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for the feedback from your stay with us. I am very sorry and disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations. We take great pride in our ability to take care of our guests, but in your case we clearly did not. I apologize and hope if you are in the Des Moines area in the future you will give us an opportunity to serve you in the fashion you deserve.
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We had been here before, were disappointed with the irregular room layout. We upgraded thid visit to a nice room on the 11th floor. Only problems-was a bit of a jolt the first time I stepped out of the bathroom, which was an inch or so higher than the other floor. And we couldn't turn off the HVAC fan ran all night. Bigger shock wasnthe cockroach in the lower level near the fitness room.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. I will certainly share this with my staff to insure we take care of the issues you encountered. My apologies for your stay not being as you would expect.
Thank you again for taking the time to share.