“Felt fancy for the price”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Felt fancy for the price”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We had a great time and felt spoiled compared to where the other family stayed. Amenities are standard, but the room was crisp, clean and modern. Staff were friendly. It is a short walk to the farmer's market. We walked everywhere downtown, but we are also young and healthy.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Tara M, Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your response. We are always encouraged when our guests respond to their stay at the hotel and we welcome all comments. We are pleased you had a nice stay and enjoyed your time in Des Moines and we are delighted we could accommodate your needs during your stay.

Thank you again for your thoughts and we do hope to have the pleasure again of serving you and your family.

Make it a great day

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I love this hotel, the location and service. But the last 2 times I was here I found the hotel rooms to be a little worn down and in need of a facelift. I don't mind paying for quality but I don't think it's worth the $179 I paid.

Room Tip: Some of the bathrooms are in dire need of renovation
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Travelgirlchicago,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel! I regret that you found your room to be "tired" since we always strive to offer the best accommodations to our guests.

As a historic property, we have a great many room types (65 to be exact) and some have certainly aged better than other. I regret that we had one that was not suitable. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future so that we can show you how beautiful our product is!

As an exciting side-note, we are currently in the process of approving the design work that be part of the complete renovation of the hotel. I have seen some of the color boards, and it is going to be fantastic!

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I am a gold elite member and they made sure to recognize it. I received a free upgrade. The room had two bathrooms, a nice view of the city, and had a table that could seat 8. It was a weekend so they offered me free breakfast or points for their restaurant. I appreciated that. Some Marriotts only offer a standard breakfast but if you want hot food you have to pay for the upgrade. This staff was most accomodating. We asked for some extra lotion and less then 3 minutes later they were at the door with it. The food was delicious I was especially pleased by the fruit selection. They had the best blackberries. The pool was down for the entire weekend which was disappointing since I love to swim. I did check out the fitness center and it was adequate.There is valet parking available and the fee was $18 a day for that. I would describe this as a boutique hotel. I had no problem with my room. It was clean. I slept great. It is located on the skywalk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear IowaLoves2travel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests and particularly when we have delivered the stay and service that they expect and deserve.

We look forward to being of service to you in the very near future! We appreciate your business!

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have now stayed at the Renaissance Savery twice and was not impressed either time. The carpet and furniture are clearly worn and broken. The heating system constantly drips and clanks, making it impossible to sleep. There was hair all over my bathroom, which clearly hadn't been cleaned. Additionally, their conference rooms are dark and drap. They have updated their lobby, but the whole hotel needs a serious update.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Laura H.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us regarding your most recent stay a the Renaissance Savery Hotel.

I sincerely apologize that your visit with us was not up to your standards. As you know, we are an historical hotel that was built as the first high rise in the state in 1916. While we celebrate that history, it also provides us with some unique challenges as well.

As the new Owners, we are currently in the design stages to do a complete makeover of the property and are very excited at the changes that are being made. And, as the New General Manager at the property, I and my team are committed to offering the service that you expect and deserve at the Renaissance Savery in Des Moines.

We look forward to having you be our guest again so that you may see the dramatic changes being made to the product as well as our continued commitment to excellent service!

Thank you for your response and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The savery Renassance Hotel by Marriott has been totally remodeled recently. We took a staycation there last weekend-great hotel, great location on the skywalk.
We had a room on the 11th.floor-a huge room-apparently this room has the same dimensions as when it was built in 1919-was considered an unusually luxurious room as it had a bathroom of its own-unlike the other rooms!

Room Tip: It is quiet hotel-the higher floors have better rooms
Green Features: It is good. I do not know what their practices are-this is a ridiculous question!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alumnus,

Thank you so very much for your review of your most recent stay with us! We are indeed pleased that you appear to have enjoyed your time here and that we provided you with the stay and service that you deserve!

We love having such a unique property and enjoy having our guests share in the history that it brings tot he guest experience!

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

epeats
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I usually stay in the Downtown Des Moines Marriott when I visit but decided to try the Renaissance since I have had good luck with Renaissance in other cities. As a platinum member I am to receive an upgrade which I did receive but it only included two bathrooms and a little larger room. The hotel however had a musty smell in the rooms and the lobby smelled like the cafeteria in a middle school and not too appetizing or relaxing. Went to the happy hour on the club level on my second day and two workers were sitting in there all sprawled out and relaxing and in deep personal conversation about marriage/divorce issues. I was not offered a drink and neither even stood up to welcome me, etc. I had a little food but had to listen to their conversation for the entire time. Very unprofessional!!! On my 3rd day which was a weekend I had to go to the restaurant for breakfast. There was a line with about 5 different parities waiting yet there were empty tables in the restaurant. When people started asking why we weren't being seated we were told they were understaffed and had run out of food that we would have to wait for a table and for more food. I waited 30 minutes (out of nothing more than curiosity). I was finally seated and then surprisingly waited another 10 minutes for someone to even acknowledge that I was there and offer me a cup of coffee. They were correct in the fact that there was no food. This was the weekend of the Drake relays and they knew they were booked so not sure how they could be understaffed and not have enough food. Nobody seemed to care too much that people were upset and were leaving the restaurant, etc. All employees seemed very relaxed with the situation and almost like they were just used to upset customers. Very shocking since I am a platinum Marriott member and use Marriotts all over the world. This is probably the worst service and hotel I have experience within the Marriott family and I am extremely disappointed. The last thing to mention was the two cockroaches we spotted in this hotel. Not a good thing to see in a Marriott property!!!

Room Tip: If you want my tip for finding a good room . . . stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Tara M, Director of Sales at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for responding and sharing your concerns and thoughts. I greatly apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay and I would be just as disappointed if given the same situation. I have already spoken with our hotel staff to insure this does not happen in the future in the areas you addressed. Thank you for the feedback and we do hope to have the opportunity to have you as a guest again, going above and beyond your expectations
Webster City, Iowa
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed her two nights for competitions my daughter was in the first night there we got a small room for the price you pay I expected bigger. Our room did not have a fridge or microwave so the bell man told us to call for one since they were free so I did, they brought it up and then we took kids to swim came back up to room 2 hours later and went to get something out of fridge and there was a HUGE cockroach on top of fridge and then a baby one by microwave. We ended up moving to different room and was not offered compensation for it was just told "well thats disgusting" Um ya think?

Room Tip: Dont ask for a fridge and microwave if ya dont have one unless you want to take cockroaches home!
Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for responding to your stay with us. I apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay. I would be disappointed if given the same situation. I will certainly get with my staff to insure this does not happen in the future.
Thank you again for the feedback.