“Amazing service and great location”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is an older hotel but it is beautiful. Big city class and service to match. The Bar is beautiful and brings in a nice group of people. Great food and everything in the hotel is clean. Small store for items you may need as well.

Room Tip: Your only a couple blocks from great food and drink. There is a parking ramp accross the street to m...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Briand

On behalf of the entire staff here at the Renaissance Savery Hotel, let me thank you for your kind words. We work hard to provide our guests with excellent service and a product that is unlike any other in the area. It is very gratifying to know that we have been able to do that during your stay. We look forward to being of service to you again in the very near future! Regards, Mark

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place is in serious need of updating. The carpet in my room was a yellowish color and was bubbling in several locations. The chair and chaise lounge in my room both had nasty stains on them. One of them was really sticky. Yuck. The bathrooms were smaller than the closet and were composed of pedestal sink, toilet, and shower. There was no room to put any of your bathroom supplies in the bathroom. Overall, this place was a miss. Service was ok when you could get them to pick up the phone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Otter2269,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sincerely sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Some of the items mentioned are out of our control such as the size of the bathroom. Unfortunately, that goes with being an historic hotel. The cleanliness issues that you described, however, are most assuredly within our control. As the new General Manager at the property, please know that my goal is to exceed the expectations of all of our guests and I hope that we will be given the opportunity to demonstrate to you that what you experienced is not the norm for us. We want to be your hotel of choice when in Des Moines and I hope that you allow us to prove that. Regards, Mark

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Savery is nice overall. We've stayed before but this time brought our two kids for Cub game. The two double bed room was so small that you could barely walk around the beds. There were test strips left on the floor and a bottle of cleaner left on the tub. The front desk person practically scolded me for booking on Expedia instead of directly. It is in a great location and overall nice but strictly two per room. Better options available now.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Tara M, Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of the hotel. The items you addressed are of concern to our team as well and the department manager has been notified. We take great pride in ensuring both our product in the hotel and our team servicing the product are their best and in both areas we failed you. Our greatest apologies.

If your travels bring you to Des Moines again, please offer us another chance to WOW you and I assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised and delighted.

Thank you and make it a great day.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We had a great time and felt spoiled compared to where the other family stayed. Amenities are standard, but the room was crisp, clean and modern. Staff were friendly. It is a short walk to the farmer's market. We walked everywhere downtown, but we are also young and healthy.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your response. We are always encouraged when our guests respond to their stay at the hotel and we welcome all comments. We are pleased you had a nice stay and enjoyed your time in Des Moines and we are delighted we could accommodate your needs during your stay.

Thank you again for your thoughts and we do hope to have the pleasure again of serving you and your family.

Make it a great day

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I love this hotel, the location and service. But the last 2 times I was here I found the hotel rooms to be a little worn down and in need of a facelift. I don't mind paying for quality but I don't think it's worth the $179 I paid.

Room Tip: Some of the bathrooms are in dire need of renovation
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
rick g, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Travelgirlchicago,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel! I regret that you found your room to be "tired" since we always strive to offer the best accommodations to our guests.

As a historic property, we have a great many room types (65 to be exact) and some have certainly aged better than other. I regret that we had one that was not suitable. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future so that we can show you how beautiful our product is!

As an exciting side-note, we are currently in the process of approving the design work that be part of the complete renovation of the hotel. I have seen some of the color boards, and it is going to be fantastic!

Regards
Mark

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I am a gold elite member and they made sure to recognize it. I received a free upgrade. The room had two bathrooms, a nice view of the city, and had a table that could seat 8. It was a weekend so they offered me free breakfast or points for their restaurant. I appreciated that. Some Marriotts only offer a standard breakfast but if you want hot food you have to pay for the upgrade. This staff was most accomodating. We asked for some extra lotion and less then 3 minutes later they were at the door with it. The food was delicious I was especially pleased by the fruit selection. They had the best blackberries. The pool was down for the entire weekend which was disappointing since I love to swim. I did check out the fitness center and it was adequate.There is valet parking available and the fee was $18 a day for that. I would describe this as a boutique hotel. I had no problem with my room. It was clean. I slept great. It is located on the skywalk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear IowaLoves2travel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests and particularly when we have delivered the stay and service that they expect and deserve.

We look forward to being of service to you in the very near future! We appreciate your business!

Regards
Mark

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have now stayed at the Renaissance Savery twice and was not impressed either time. The carpet and furniture are clearly worn and broken. The heating system constantly drips and clanks, making it impossible to sleep. There was hair all over my bathroom, which clearly hadn't been cleaned. Additionally, their conference rooms are dark and drap. They have updated their lobby, but the whole hotel needs a serious update.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Laura H.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us regarding your most recent stay a the Renaissance Savery Hotel.

I sincerely apologize that your visit with us was not up to your standards. As you know, we are an historical hotel that was built as the first high rise in the state in 1916. While we celebrate that history, it also provides us with some unique challenges as well.

As the new Owners, we are currently in the design stages to do a complete makeover of the property and are very excited at the changes that are being made. And, as the New General Manager at the property, I and my team are committed to offering the service that you expect and deserve at the Renaissance Savery in Des Moines.

We look forward to having you be our guest again so that you may see the dramatic changes being made to the product as well as our continued commitment to excellent service!

Thank you for your response and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!