“What I expected”

Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Waterloo, Iowa
“What I expected”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

When I first walked into the lobby to check in, the front desk lady was on her cell phone and didn't feel the need to greet me. Finally she checked me in and the hotel is pretty much what you expect. Small room with the basics. Hotel room was clean and neat. The breakfast was your basic continental breakfast: cereal, waffles and toast. A lot of restaurants and shopping around the hotel which is always a plus. Overall it was just a cheap stay and wasn't expecting too much. I would stay again if I needed a quick overnight stay somewhere in Des Moines.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Located on the back side of the Iowa State Fairgrounds. The hotel is in an older neighborhood locate between two small neighborhood bars. The hotel is an older property showing some wear like cracked floor tile and walls with scuffs.No problems with check in or out. The breakfast was a waffle machine along with basics; cereal bagels donuts juice. Early at night(8-11 PM) there is a lot of noise from the street directly behind the hotel and the walls are thin enough that you here a lot of the activity in the hallway. No food or stores with in walking distance. However several stores on University Ave within a 5-10 minute drive. This property would never be a 1st choice but not a last choice either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WI
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here for an athletic event that was across the street and should have stayed elsewhere. From the moment we walked in the staff was not exceptionally friendly. While I understand that this is a budget property, I still expect a certain level of hospitality.

The check-in started with a rather unfriendly person in reception. When we checked in to our rooms, that is when we started noticing issues. Every sound from the hallway and rooms above could be heard. After about 10 minutes in the room and unpacking, my daughter found that the toilet didn't work. So, we called the front desk. I asked them to send an engineer to fix it and she said that she would need to call me back. We proceeded to continue to unpack. 10 minutes later, I got a call they were going to move us to another room--and they wanted to know if I would get the new room key or my wife. I explained to them that we had just unpacked and they said that this was the best option. I then explained to them that them bringing me the key was also the best option. My later interaction with the desk staff was asking for restaurant recommendations--where ask they were very little help.

The hotel is in a quiet area, but according a local friend of mine, not the best neighborhood. Beds were uncomfortable, hallways noisy and pool was over chlorinated. I will say, that for an older property, the place was clean and in above average shape. The old adage, you get what you pay for is accurate here. Certainly not the worst stay of my life, but if I had a do-over, I would do it elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Ok for the price. Some of the hallways smelled like smoke that were designated as non smoking. Decent breakfast. I would probably spend some extra money & stay somewhere else next time. You get what you pay for so lots of loitering in the hallway. 3 young men smoking cigars on the steps by an entrance. Room was ok...bathroom not the cleanest.

• Stayed October 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 November 2013

...is not an easy thing to do. EconoLodge and Choice Hotels were my way of getting from points A to B comfortably with my dog. I've stayed at Choice Hotels in the past because of their liberal pet policy, so I planned our trip around their locations.
Our first stop from home was Des Moines. The EconoLodge was comfortable, with a large parking lot. It looked like we were the only ones there, then it filled up later. The room was fine, although slightly dated. The lady at the desk wasn't very well-informed about the promotion running for staying 3 nights then getting one free (Econo Lodge requires 2 nights to equal 1 stay as it is the economy hotel in their line). But thats ok. We went and picked up a pizza, ate in the room, had a small continental breakfast, and moved along. An acceptable place for people traveling with dogs. Oh yeah - $10 for the dog, $70 for the room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rhonda60103
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here twice on a trip out and back. First time we had 2 queen beds, second time, one king. The beds were firm, which I prefer. The king bed only had 2 pillows, so I asked for extras, which were immediately supplied. Everything was very clean and staff was very pleasant. Breakfast was standard, and well stocked. The room with 2 queens lacked accessible outlets. We had to charge our phones at the only outlet, above the sink. The sink area was very small, with little room for toiletries.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alm711
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed here for one night , passing through the area. We had a decent , clean room. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was very good. We would stay here again if we traveled through Des Moines again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family