Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Des Moines
US$192
US$170
EmbassySuites.com
  • Pool
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
US$81
Hotels.com
US$97
US$184
  • Breakfast included
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
US$83
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
US$223
US$95
US$84
Agoda.com
All reviewswafflesfree wifinon smoking roomthird flooreasy accesssmall roomthe breakfast areabathroom sinknight staywould definitely stay here againcontinental breakfastrooms are cleancerealinterstateeconolodgesdeskmotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just needed a place to sleep, shower and make coffee in the a.m. This Motel was easy access and reasonable. They provided a small coffee pot which worked out perfectly for my morning coffee (Bullet Proof) to get me on my way home. Air conditioner worked well, slept great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank iselamroth
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just barely acceptable and borderline scary. If the owners don't make some updates soon, this property will be in peril. Our mattresses were well worn, old picture tube TV, stains on the chairs (we joked it must've been the scene of the murder) and an overall funky smell in the hallways. We were greeted with a healthy dose of bleach in the air when we entered our room. The bath is so small that the door barely clears the front of the toilet and it's a small can. Not a bad location so if they invest a few bucks it can be a viable motel.

Room Tip: We got a top floor room away from the street and it was plenty quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FrugalVoyager
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This Econolodge is located on Merle Hay Road, a very busy commercial area with car dealers, fast food restaurants and stores. The motel looks dumpy on the outside, but the inside was very nice and my room was fine. There were lots of electrical outlets with two power strips in the room, a microwave and refrigerator, and a tube TV with 24 channels. The A/C worked great. Very small vanity outside of bathroom with very little room for anything. No safe. Breakfast was basic with waffles, toast, pastries and cereal. Elevator worked well and was fast for this class of motel. Bed was very hard, but I slept well (not sure if this was because I need a hard bed, or I was just exhausted from sightseeing!). Alarm clock radio looked great and easy to program, but the buttons on mine were broken so it was useless. The drapes let light in when the sun came up. You can walk to McDonalds, Wendy’s and Perkins. Very busy street, access can be difficult, but leaving to get on the interstate was pretty easy. You can get downtown pretty quickly in about 15 minutes by interstate. Oddly, I saw a small herd of deer crossing the road one evening, luckily there were no accidents. I paid $47.69 plus 11.5% tax, so I got a good deal. For an Econolodge, I would rate this one above average, especially for the price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jjctraveler
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We paid $100 for a non smoking room with two beds. It was a little dated and in average condition. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were good as well. Continental breakfast was average. No big complaints.
The disappointing part is that we stayed at a brand new Fairfield Inn next to Lake Michigan for $93 on the same trip. No comparison. Next time I will plan ahead and avoid the Econ Lodge for better values.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jddriesen
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have a stacked list..and it's only my FIRST night staying here...
(I am staying in a 1 queen size bed room)
1. COCKROACHES!.. Ewwww! I was about to fall asleep and I thought the my blanket was tickling my arm..I looked down and there were 3 medium small cockroaches on my arm! GROSS! (Glad to know I just forked over $291.16 to get no sleep and room with BUGS!)
2. Not near enough plug-ins. When I say that, I mean, you have 2 bed side lamps and an alarm clock..pick 2. Had only 3 plug-ins that I could find to charge things.
3. No hair dryer.
4. Bathroom floor was sticky.
5. Stains on the sheets and comforter. If you stay here..be sure to bring your own blankets..
6. The photos online make it look so much more pleasant than it is.
7. Can't understand a single thing the owners, or any workers are saying. Not the worst I've experienced I've had with poor communication, but still not good.

• Stayed: June 2014