“College Visit with the Kids”

Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We visited Drake University and interviewed. Nice school with good programs.
Stayed at the HIE-University. Was very convenient to school. Easy access to Interstate.
As with all HIE's you become accustomed to nice, clean, and comfortable rooms. This property did not disappoint.
Well stocked breakfast buffet, frequently restocked.
If the kids pick Drake we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Came to Drake to do a presentation. Whole school closed due to snow. Staying here. Nice room but the noisiest maids I have ever experienced. Our room is across for their area and they have been cantering for the past several hours. I hope they go home soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry for the problem you had with your room being right accross from the housekeeping/laundry room. I have addressed this with my housekeeping staff.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

As i was bargain shopping within HI's listing, this came up cheaper and convenient to downtown. But it is a older/refurbished unit, the rooms were alright but not a normal HIex. I'd spend the extra amount and stay in a different location. The guest were also very loud.

Room Tip: stay away from the lobby, try to get a room on a end.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TLD2006
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry your stay did not meet the standards you come to expect at Holiday Inn Express. We have recently renovated though and added a very nice business center and fitness room. Even though, we are an older building and not your typical Holiday Inn Express, we do keep it well maintained and updated.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Having reserved a room for four nights at $89.95 per night, the management added to my rate each night. Second night was $94.95 and the third and fourth night was $104.95. Girl at the counter gave me lip service and manager will not call back to explain or refund. As a business/casual traveler for the past 25 years at several nights per year, this is the stupidest pricing fix I have ever witnessed. This has NEVER happened before at any chain.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Purrplehelmet

I am sorry you were not aware of the rate change at the time of check in. You checked into our hotel on a Sunday which is a slower day, so we lower rates on that day. Monday, your rate when up to normal weekday rates and the last 2 days of your stay the rates increased due to a big trade show in town. I did make an adjustment on your bill, since you were not properly explained the rate change at check in.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here because we booked late for an event and we wanted to get closer to downtown. My stay was average, the room was average, but the staff was very nice and accommodating. In fact when I left for the day I could not find my cell phone and I called the hotel and the front desk employee went to my room and checked and let me know that it was in my room.
The hotel is close to Drake University which does lend itself to quietness. It was a nice area to go for a run around the school.
Although this would not be my first choice, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Mikreyn,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your stay with us. I am happy to know that our location was of convenience and you found our staff to be accommodating to your needs. It is always nice on our part to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

I hope the next time you visit the area, you choose us again for your lodging needs.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is my new business hotel in Des Moines. It is close enough to downtown at a much better rate than the downtown hotels. My room was clean and given that this used to be a dorm, I was surprised at how large. All of the equipment that I tried in the spacious exercise room worked and the rewards member gift bag on check-in was a nice touch. The breakfast was as good as any I've seen and I had a good dinner at the convenient diner next door.

Room Tip: I asked for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank weaver56
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This property is located in a neighborhood quite a bit off the interstate. The surrounding houses do not make me feel comfortable walking around by myself at night, although there were no situations while we where there. The hotel does not feature a pool or hot tub. The breakfast room is really more a corner of their lobby. The only nice feature this hotel posesses is a fenced in court yard. Of corse my request to have a courtyard room when booking wasn't honored. The room was not very clean and I will not be returning. My guess is the only reason this hotel is still operating is because there isn't another property close to Drake University.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Betty F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Betty F,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property.

However, I sincerely apologize that you did not find our location to your liking and deeply regret the dissatisfaction you had with the room condition. Comments such as yours are very important as it allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements.

It is our hotel's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We value your custom and as always we remain at your disposal.

Dhan M