Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University
US$201
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$110
Hampton.com
US$195
US$122
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$144
US$135
US$133
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
US$66
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
US$223
US$217
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshi expresscollege tourroom was cleanfree breakfastwould stay here againnice breakfastlobby areastate fairoatmealcampushiemarsdowntowningersollcomputersratesrefrigerator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I, and college son have stayed at this hotel 3 times over the past year as we were visiting Drake University. All 3 experiences were great in that the booking was a breeze, and the location can't be beat if you are visiting the University. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, the hot, complimentary breakfast is very good and the "Drake Rate" is great. Being our son is starting school at Drake in the fall, I anticipate many more stays at this hotel over the next several years!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a review of both this hotel and the Holiday Inn website.... both were just awful. I booked my hotel 6 weeks before my overnight trip to Des Moines though holiday inn's website. Between the time I booked and the day of my trip, my credit card number changed due to security issues. The hotel claimed because the website doesn't give my information they had no way to contact me and gave away our reservation. So here we were in Des Moines now with no hotel. Eventually the manager did agree to pay for another Holiday inn outside of town but that took 45 minutes just till he agreed to this. Now Holiday inn tells me that when I book the hotel on their website it is the hotel directly I am booking with and they are under no obligation to hold this reservation if my credit card number changes. BUYER BEWARE

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

The guest information above was correct. Guest had reserved a room online and entered 111-111-1111 as phone number. We were sold out that day, so we pre-authorize credit cards and his card was declined, apparently because it changed. We had no way of getting a hold of the guest so we cancelled his reservation since it was not guaranteed with a valid credit card. As soon as guest arrived we offered the option of another Holiday Inn only about 15 minutes away but he said he didn't have time to drive over there. Instead he spent half an hour trying to contact someone to resolve the situation. Even though, it was not our mistake that the guest did not update his credit card or enter a valid contact phone number I eventually agreed to just pay for the other hotel for him to resolve the situation and because of his issues getting a hold of our corporate customer relations department.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I had a great experience staying at this hotel. It was clean, comfortable and the breakfast was very good.

It was located close to the concert we attended; located next door to the Drake Diner and not too far from Smokey Row where we enjoyed a great cup of coffee in a relaxed atmosphere.

We look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Don M
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Had a great experience here. Came later in the day and need a place for the evening. Clean room and cozy bed! I wasn't here long enough to say much else! The breakfast was good in the morning. Biscuits and gravy with eggs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is a cheaper alterative to downtown, but has some wear.

I'm guessing my room was once used by smokers as there was that old-school musty hotel smell that hung in my clothes all day after checking out. The bed was fine, the TV good and the internet okay, but the finish was peeling off the tub and the room showed wear. It's fine, just not as nice as most HIE properties.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are a converted hotel, but we have been entirely non smoking for at least the last 10 years since we have been a Holiday Inn Express. We completed public area renovations last year and this year we are working on the rooms themselves. I am sorry your room was not up to standard but I assure you we will get that corrected.