“Comfy but a bit noisy”

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Ankeny, Iowa
“Comfy but a bit noisy”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We recently stayed for one night in a king sofa room. The room was average in its décor but nice and large. The bed and bedding were very comfortable, especially the pillows. The walls were a bit thin, kind of noisy in the morning.

2 Thank IowaGirl-in-Germany
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear IowaGirl-in-Germany,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in Des Moines. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with the size of the room, the bed, and the pillows. I appreciate the high marks you gave us in regards to service and sleep quality. We truly enjoyed having you as a guest and hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel while attending a seminar at the Mercy hospital. The shuttle promptly picked us up from the airport and the staff members were very efficient. The front desk staff especially Tramaine (sp) were very helpful. We had a very early flight (6am) and the hotel shuttle took us to the airport at 4am per our request. That is what I call going above and beyond!!! Did I mention that their onsite restaurant has some very yummy steak?? It was a pleasure..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Purity N,
I am happy to hear you chose the Holiday Inn Downtown Mercy Campus for your recent stay in Des Moines, and I thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am very pleased to hear you found the front desk and especially Tramaine to be accommodating. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. I have passed along your comments to all of our staff. We truly enjoyed having you as a guest and hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future. Thank you again for your review.
North Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Got to the hotel before the 3 pm check in and had to wait a few minutes as they were still cleaning from night before. The wait was alright as I checked in for my meetings that were taking place at the hotel and by the time I had checked in their they had our room ready. Room was on the 9th floor away from the interstate and was quiet, if I opened the window I did hear some traffic noise but never with the window closed and ready for bed. The bed was comfortable and they had a amazing choice of pillows, internet connection was great. Had supper in the restaurant in the lobby and it was great, Breakfast both days was a buffet breakfast and I got my fill both time food was hot and fresh. The staff were very helpful in meeting the needs for our meetings and banquet staff were outstanding. If I am in the area I will stay again

Room Tip: North side is quieter but not the best view, Hotel is doing some remodel work and upkeep They do ne...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear suemel604,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with the staff and service. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed the pillow options and were able to rest. I have passed along your review to all of our staff. We appreciate your business and hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you again the future. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown Mercy Campus.
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Toilet would not flush properly had to have maintenance come two times still would not work. Couldn't get a different room hotel was full. Had a first floor room with view of a wall. Rooms are small ,walls paper thin crying baby all night sounded like it was in our room. Do not venture one block north as you may get murdered. Underground parking corridor smelled of mold. Overall bad stay and bad location. Did online survey and was emailed that I would be contacted and never was.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Hockeydad123
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Hockeydad123,
I am sorry to hear you were displeased with your recent stay with us. We do take great pride in our hotel and the services we provide and strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I apologize that we fell below your expectations and were unable to change your room as we were full. Our Guest Services Manager is trying to locate your survey, so we may find your contact information and get in touch with you. I have passed along your comments to management and appreciate your input. I do hope we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a nice hotel with good amenities, but our room, located on the 8th floor and facing the highway, was surprisingly noisy. We heard traffic all night, and especially in the morning as the rush hour started.

Our room was very comfortable with good Internet access and plenty of outlets for computers and gadgets. The view of the City was outstanding. The rate we got on hotwire dot com made this a very attractive place to stay and a good value, but as I said, the noise was very off-putting.

There is no complimentary breakfast and no place nearby other than driving. The buffet was expensive for what it was.

1 Thank Bocaboy2591
Dear Bocaboy2591,
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Holiday Inn Downtown while you were in Des Moines recently. I appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your stay. I am pleased to see the high marks you gave us in regards to cleanliness and value. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities. I am sorry to hear that noise was an issue for you. I do apologize for any inconvenience that caused. I also appreciate your input in regards to breakfast. I have passed your comments along to management. I hope we have the opportunity to not meet but exceed your expectations in the future. We would love to have you as a guest again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed on 8th flr loved the view. Room was clean and very comfortable. Front desk was friendly and check in was a breeze. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was obvious they did not have enough help for the shift. JJ the server was fantastic and tried as best as she could to serve all the tables in the restaurant. JJ had a smile each time she came to check on our table.

Additionally, I noticed a young man named Matt who could see the restaurant was short staffed and jumped right in and helped bus all the tables and helped the manager ensure all the customers were taken care of. This young man demonstrated such team work it was noticed by my husband and myself. We were so pleased to see how well the staff worked together although short staffed and ensured our experience was a positive one.

Please thank Matt and JJ for their outstanding commitment to customer service and team work!

1 Thank Conita60515
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Conita60515,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found your check in, guest room, and service to be satisfactory. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the view too. I have passed your review along to all management and Matt and JJ as well. All of us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown take great pride in our hotel and the services we offer. It is so nice to hear that our efforts were noticed by you and your husband. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have you as a guest in the future. Thank you again.
Tempe, AZ
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The lobby service was great. We walked in and my kids commented on how posh the lobby appeared. Our room on the 5th floor was excellent but the hallway looks dated. The shuttle service to the airport was speedy and friendly. The hotel is a quick walk to downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear gl0balmama,
I want to thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We appreciate every review as they point out what we are doing well and what we can improve on for the future. I'm happy to hear your children enjoyed the remodel. I appreciate your input about the hallways and the high marks you gave us in regards to rooms and service. I have passed your review along to all management and staff. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you again.