“Location is not great, but I was pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Downtown while attending a concert on the DM riverfront.

The hotel has been there for decades, looking much the same on the outside, and I first stayed there back in the early 1980’s on a school trip. I was not excited to stay there this time, but was pleasantly surprised.

The Good
The hotel has been refurbished in recent years and looks better than I recalled. The front desk clerk asked where we would like to stay, which is unusual, so we were able to stay on an upper floor with a downtown view.

That same clerk graciously allowed us to store our tandem bicycle in an unused office for the night, so we didn’t have to worry about it sitting on our roof rack overnight. The hotel was filled with youth baseball teams and the junior high rodeo (really), but seemed quiet.

The Bad
The hotel is not conveniently located. You are close to downtown, but not close enough to walk. You might be able to walk to the Wells Fargo Arena or Vets’ Auditorium, but that’s it. Our event was in East Village, and we had to drive. Obviously, there is nothing management can do about the location. If you have downtown activities and want to walk, this is not your best choice.

Being adjacent to the interstate, there is obviously lots of traffic voice, but it didn't affect my sleep.

Overall
We only stayed one night and didn’t spend a lot of time at the hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. Management seems to be trying hard, and our room was reasonably priced. This is certainly not the fanciest place to stay, but offers easy parking, quick in/out access, and decent rates, and sometimes that is just fine.

Room Tip: I chose to stay on the southern "city side" which offers a downtown view but is adjacent t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brewbaker
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Brewbaker,
Thank you for taking the time to offer thorough feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We rely on reviews, good and bad, to help us identify the areas do well and the areas that need improvement. I am so happy you found our front desk staff to be helpful while you were here. I am sorry to hear that you found our location to be inconvenient. I agree that the East Village is not ideal walking distance from our property. I wish we had made you aware of our complimentary shuttle service so you didn't have to drive and find parking. We would have been more than happy to drop you off and pick you up when you were ready to return. I hope we get to have you as a guest in the future and that we exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has great views but the price was way too high for the quality of hotel. Our toilet wasn't even attached to the floor. They don't even have free breakfast. The whole experience was very disappointing. All in all we wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Lschrader26
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Lschrader26,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the pricing structure of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Had a bad flight and got in well after midnight. They still came to the airport to pick me up and got me checked right in.

The room was nice and clean but obviously a little older. I had rom service a few times and also the breakfast at the restaurant. Food was good.

Overall a nice experience, shuttle was available to drop off and pick up.

Only downside was the slow elevators and no option to take stairs all the way to the first floor.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dan E,
We appreciate your choosing to stay with us while you were in Des Moines and for taking the time to give feedback of your stay. I am so pleased to find that you were happy with our shuttle service, the restaurant food, and the cleanliness of our hotel. I hope that if your travels bring you back to Des Moines that you will choose to stay with us again, as we truly enjoyed having you as a guest. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were facing Mercy Hospital so we got some noise from the ambulances and helicopters.
The room was clean. There were however a few problems. The stopper on the sink did not work. When you sat in the desk chair you had to lean forward if not it would tip you over backwards.
I think what this hotel needs is a walk through by staff to address the issues.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Valerie H,
I want to thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to see that you found our staff to be friendly. I also appreciate your input in regards to the guest rooms. Every review enables us to improve for the future, which I hope includes your next stay. I have passed your review along to all departments so we may offer even better experiences for our guests. Thank you again for your input.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is an older hotel with very small bathrooms, make sure you get a room not facing the downtown. We were here to attend a show at the civic center this location is not walking distance to downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KimInNE
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear KimInNE,
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Holiday Inn Downtown while you were in Des Moines, and for taking the time to offer a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with your experience at our hotel. We depend on all reviews, good and bad, to know where we have room for improvement and what we are doing well. I hope we have the opportunity to have you as a guest in the future. Our complimentary shuttle service would be happy to take you anywhere you want to go downtown. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel is older, but must have been recently updated. The hotel and rooms were very clean. The staff was friendly as can be. Breakfast was also very good and the location is perfect if you are planning on heading down town! Special kudos to the FOM Jessica and the morning desk clerk, I forgot her name, but both went and beyond! I'll be back!

Room Tip: Get a high floor, the view of downtown is great!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TMPLS
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear TMPLS,
Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your stay at our hotel. You are correct, we completed a multi-million dollar renovation of almost every public space in the hotel. In 2014 we have completed a renovation of our fitness center and have begun guest room renovations. I am so happy that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and our staff to be friendly and responsive to your needs. I have passed your comments along to all departments to see. I hope we have the opportunity to have you as a guest in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel had issues, but the staff was quick to remedy most of them. I was in town for work and the internet connection was so bad, I couldn't work on my expense reports in the room. Several nights there was no heat, but the staff brought a couple of floor heaters. Staff also brought me an extension cord as there are no outlets near the bed for phone/tablet accommodations. The rooms were noisy in that I could hear the above room's tv, shower and toilet flushing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear btilford,
I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us while you in Des Moines. I appreciate your taking the time to offer a candid and thoughtful review of your stay. I was very happy to hear that you were pleased with our location and the service you received. However, I am disheartened to hear about the issues you experienced. In regards to the internet connection, I am baffled that it was so bad. I have passed your input along to our Facilities Manager to look into this. I am sorry to hear about the temperature issues as well. In regards to outlets near the bed, that is something we are working on this. In 2013, we completed renovation of public spaces. In 2014 we are addressing guest rooms. I have passed along your review to every department so we can improve for the future, which I hope includes your next stay. Thank you again for your review.