I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Downtown while attending a concert on the DM riverfront.
The hotel has been there for decades, looking much the same on the outside, and I first stayed there back in the early 1980’s on a school trip. I was not excited to stay there this time, but was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel has been refurbished in recent years and looks better than I recalled. The front desk clerk asked where we would like to stay, which is unusual, so we were able to stay on an upper floor with a downtown view.
That same clerk graciously allowed us to store our tandem bicycle in an unused office for the night, so we didn’t have to worry about it sitting on our roof rack overnight. The hotel was filled with youth baseball teams and the junior high rodeo (really), but seemed quiet.
The hotel is not conveniently located. You are close to downtown, but not close enough to walk. You might be able to walk to the Wells Fargo Arena or Vets’ Auditorium, but that’s it. Our event was in East Village, and we had to drive. Obviously, there is nothing management can do about the location. If you have downtown activities and want to walk, this is not your best choice.
Being adjacent to the interstate, there is obviously lots of traffic voice, but it didn't affect my sleep.
We only stayed one night and didn’t spend a lot of time at the hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. Management seems to be trying hard, and our room was reasonably priced. This is certainly not the fanciest place to stay, but offers easy parking, quick in/out access, and decent rates, and sometimes that is just fine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Downtown, Des Moines, Iowa. Our convenient downtown location provides the ideal setting for both business and leisure travel. With convenient access to Wells Fargo Arena, Hy-Vee Hall, Veterans Auditorium, Des Moines Civic Center, Iowa State Fairgrounds, and Mercy Hospital, you can not go wrong when you stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown. Located in the heart of Des Moines, we are minutes away from an assortment of entertainment options. Indulge and have a ball at Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Park, Blank Park Zoo or the Science Center. Also, exceptional dining and nightlife are just blocks away at the Court Avenue Entertainment District and the trendy Historic East Village. Downtown Des Moines is alive with special events every weekend, and our area shuttle makes navigating downtown a breeze! Relax, it's Holiday Inn. We offer free parking and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, an indoor pool, and a complimentary downtown/airport shuttle. If you love classic American cuisine set in a casual but elegant dining atmosphere, then Genevieve's Restaurant and Cityscape Lounge are the place to go. Whether your visit brings you to Des Moines for business or pleasure, allow the Holiday Inn Downtown to be your hotel of choice! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Hotel Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Iowa