“Rooms are great, restaurant not so much”

Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #26 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My room was clean and spacious. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. My complaint is the lack of service in the restaurant. Each morning I had to wait several minutes while the hostess, who also happened to be the manager, talked with people and ignored people waiting to be seated. Don't make the mistake of ordering from the menu, my omelet took over 30 minutes. One day my waitress never said one word to me, she set water in front of me and walked away. Luckily I did in fact want the buffet, and found silverware at a neighboring table. Two mornings I walked up to pay and was asked where the ticket was my server had brought me...I had to reply that I never received one and wait while the hostess/manager tracked down the server to verify I had had the buffet. Very disappointing considering the worst service came from the manager.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lac0220
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Lac0220,
Thank you so much for offering a candid and thorough review of your stay. While I am happy to know that you found our front desk staff to be accommodating and were pleased with your guest room, your experience in our restaurant fell way below our own expectations as well as our own. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, so we can address the issues and avoid similar experiences for future guests. Thank you again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel showed it's age and is need of a facelift! The elevators were so slow it was painful and to make matters worse we were on the top floor. It was crazy loud at night and not very clean. It's also not in a good neighborhood. I would not stay here again. The one nice thing was that they offered a shuttle.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Laura W,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We take great pride in our property and the services we offer, so it is upsetting to know that is not the impression you left with. However I am happy to know that you found our shuttle service to be a plus. That said we would appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future so we can show you the type of experience we are accustomed to providing. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

From the front desk to the restaurant staff, this hotel is ALL about great customer service! They go out of their way to accommodate and anticipate their guests every need. They are the true definition of service with a smile!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear rinkrover,
Thank you so much for your review. We strive to be the best Holiday Inn around, and I am so glad to hear that we met your expectations as well as our own while you were at our hotel. I am especially pleased to be able to share with our staff your comments in regards to the service we offer. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to have you as a guest in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Positive: Good front desk, friendly shuttle driver, clean rooms
Negative: no stairs access, run down appearance
We were here for the aau junior olympics so our lodging choices were limited since we waited for the last minute. the price was too high for this hotel but had not choice. the elevators were so crowded at some times of the day. the hotel food was average.
the property is far from many activities and attractions.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelfan68

Dear travelfan68,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your input. As you noticed, we were extremely busy during AAU Junior Olympics and I am sorry for any inconvenience that caused you. I am happy to know however that you found our front desk staff to be accommodating, our rooms to be clean, and that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service. If your travels bring you back to Des Moines we would love the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

When we arrived at the hotel, the lobby looked very nice. Once we got to the room, it was very outdated. Our room looked nothing like any of the pictures and I expect that they wont, but it was not even close. There wasn't a fridge in the room, you would think that for the price that there would have been. Could have stayed at the Hilton back home for cheaper and way better quality. These problems were minor though. I requested a late checkout for noon. At 11am, the housekeeper knocks as I am getting dressed and then walks in. Then twenty mins later, another knock from housekeeping. FInally at about 11:40am, another knock on the door from housekeeping, but from another woman and it was a loud banging knock as if she knew we had a late checkout, but wanted to run us out. I shouldn't had had to deal with that three times at all. Also, not sure about the lounge protocol on ordering drinks, but my friend and i were charged a $4 gratuity tip for two mudslides we purchased for $8 each after we waited close to 20 mins to even get them.

Room Tip: Dont even do it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dorlisa S
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Dorlisa,
I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Every review is important to us as it helps us identify areas in which we are doing well and areas that need improvements. We strive to be the best Holiday Inn around and it sounds as though we didn't meet your expectations or our own. I have passed your comments along to every department so we can investigate further. That is not the type of experience we insist on offering our guests. I truly hope that we have the opportunity in the future to change your opinion by offering you the kind of stay you deserve. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I don't know if breakfast is included normally, but I was traveling with a sports team for the AAU Junior Olympics, and our breakfast was included in the room fee. Breakfast was very good -- eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, cut fruit, hot oatmeal, cold cereal. The location was a short walk to the sports arena, and when we wanted to go farther for a team dinner or even a few families heading to dinner, the shuttle driver was great about dropping us off and picking us up afterward. Our room was clean, and the staff was attentive. They even opened the kitchen to make pizza for us at an odd time.

Room Tip: The only reason I gave the hotel 4 stars instead of 5 is that our room was on the side facing the hi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pursemustmatchshoes

Dear Pursemustmatchshoes,
Thank you for offering such a kind and thorough review of your stay with us. It is nice to know that you enjoyed breakfast and that our shuttle service was a nice amenity for you. If your travels bring you to Des Moines in the future we would love the opportunity to have you as a guest again. Thank you so much for taking the time to review your visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We were staying on our drive home from vacation. There was a big concert in town (not the hotels fault) but there was no where to park except a scary, very dark parking garage. Once we were parked and were sent up to our room the hallway and our room smelled like smoke, there was a guy passed out and people actually smoking in the in the hallway!!! (and it was very loud). Rooms and bathrooms are small and dated. Music, people slamming doors, etc.

The desk staff were very understanding and felt bad. We checked out without charge. We stayed somewhere else

We always stay at Holiday Inns, in fact we had just stayed at one for a week in Wisconsin. I guess we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jensinnard
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Jensinnard,
Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your recent stay with us. We depend on every review to know what areas need improvement and what areas we are doing well. I am so sorry to hear about other guests smoking in the hallway. That is extremely unfortunate as we are a 100% non-smoking facility. I have passed your comments along to each department so we can make sure that this does not happen again in the future. I am happy to hear that our staff was understanding. I hope we have the opportunity to show you an experience that meets our standards as well as your own in the future. Thank you again for your review.