“Beautiful room and professional front desk staff”

Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked a suite using my IHG points. The person helping me book it looked up the room and specifically told me it had 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa - perfect for our group. We arrived around midnight and learned that room was not available. The kind woman behind the desk calmly and professionally handled it by upgrading us to a larger suite that only had a King bed and added 2 rollaways. The room was phenomenal. My college-aged son suggested we stay forever! The beds were unbelievably soft and the room was chic and very clean. The poolside breakfast was quite nice, too.

Room Tip: The suite with a kitchen was beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gl0balmama

Reviewed 8 October 2013

The Holiday Inn Des Moines Airport is as close as a hotel can be to an airport without actually being on the runway. Perfect for early morning departures and late night arrivals.

This hotel seemed to be an older property, but was well-kept. It's more like the old-fashioned "holidome" that was popular years ago and has rooms on the pool level with patio chairs if that's what you are looking for in a hotel.

My room was on the side away from the airport. Waaay on the other side. Be prepared to walk if you get a room back there. It was large, had a microwave and fridge - and a lot of unused space. It was one of the most "austere" hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, with no decor in the room other than a single picture on one wall. The room was very quiet as long as the fan was on. The air conditioning unit implied that there was a constant fan feature, but it didn't work. I will say that I slept relatively well though, but only because I travel with earplugs. There are no handy electrical outlets other than on the desk, so if you need to recharge your phone you'll have to do it across the room. I really wish hotels would recognize that travelers want their phone next to the bed because it is our alarm clock.

The bathroom had some very interesting (okay, a little weird) things about it. There were two facial tissue dispensers and four toilet tissue holders. Now, this wasn't a very big bathroom, and the room only had a single king bed. The room obviously wasn't designed to serve a large family, so I found myself wondering why the bathroom was designed for a crowd. (Maybe I don't really want to know?!)

I had breakfast (complimentary for Platinum members) at the hotel restaurant, and it was enough food for two people. It was also excellent - one of the best I've ever had in any IHG property. Nothing fancy, just really good food.

So, to sum it up. I will recommend this hotel if you don't need bells and whistles.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Very nice hotel, I stay at this hotel chain as often as I can and I'm never disappointed. The staff personalities vary but it's expected, we don't live in a perfect world. My main concern is always a clean comfortable bed and clean bathroom, and safety, of course. The one thing that would be appreciated is outlet access at the nightstand table. I've come in very late at night at times with low batteries on my iPad and cell phone would like to use them while in bed. This would be a big plus. The hotel was being remodeled and there are signs posted apologizing for any mess or noise. I appreciate their efforts as it is not easy to remodel and be occupied at the same time. Non of that interfered with my very much needed sleep. Shuttle picked me up at the airport at 3:30am after my five hour flight delay :D( Hotel is conveniently located across the street from the hotel, I think I waited five minutes. Very nice shuttle driver :D)

Before leaving in the afternoon to meet up with friends in Council Bluffs I had a bowl of soup in their very nice coffee shop where I also picked up some snacks.....3 hour drive ahead. The soup was very tasty and as I ate I noted they had a pleasant eating area next to the indoor pool. Also noted some rooms had a balcony facing the enclosed pool and eating area.

FYI: Do Not speed in Iowa, there are about 4-5 different speed limits, depending where you are driving. In Spencer I got stopped for driving, according to the officer, 30mph in a 20mph zone, I'm sure I was going 25mph. I did not get a ticket. But as I drove away I noted a block from where I was stopped the speed changed to 35mph. Very nice people though, just keep an eye at the speed limit signs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had a early Sunday morning flight out of Des Moines. Booked a Park N Fly. Got to hotel about 8:30 after Iowa State game. Mikka at the front desk was OUTSTANDING! She was courteous, helpful and very nice. She pointed out the option of free drink or 250 points for my being a Platinum member. She then asked what time my flight was Sunday morning. I told her and asked what time the I should be at the airport and when the shuttle runs. Since I would be leaving the hotel before breakfast opened she gave be "Breakfast Bag" for Sunday morning. It contained a muffin, banana, orange juice and granola bar. I had never received such a bag previously. To top it off I was upgraded to VERY NICE two room suite. Mikka told me food was available until 10:30. I went the restaurant area and ordered 10 oz Rib Eye with garden salad and California medley. The young man doing the cooking and lady working with him were very friendly. I took the food to my room. The meal was OUTSTANDING! The steak was as good as any steakhouse in Des Moines. This is the second time I have stayed here in the last year. It certainly won't be the last.

1  Thank Cy2015
Reviewed 15 September 2013

A truly great hotel. Staff is very friendly, hotel is located in a good location, price is reasonable and the hotel itself is very comfortable. I received a breakfast coupon that gave me a good American breakfast included in the price of the hotel. All around a great experience.
I was afraid the vicinity to the airport would mean it was going to be noisy at night, but that did not turn out to be true. Could not think of a better value for the money!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband booked us into this hotel for a 2 night/3 day stay for a family wedding. There was a little confusion when he booked it as far as what room we would stay in because it was really full due to a conference in town, but they reassured him that they would have a room for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). Wow did they ever have a room! We stayed in a suite on the third floor and it was really nice! We had 3 connecting rooms, the main room was a living room area with a bar, there was another room with a conference table, desk area and bathroom and finally another room which served as the bedroom with 2 queen size beds (very comfortable) and a decent sized bathroom. We dined in a café area which overlooked a decent sized indoor pool and the food was really good! We only ate breakfast there, but they have a small convenience store with a small restaurant attached. The staff were friendly, the place was clean and if you are flying in and out of Des Moines, it is very conveniently located right across from the Des Moines Airport. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The hotel served my purpose for being there; a place to lay my head at the end of the long flight. I chose it because of the atrium/pool area and the restaurant/lounge it offered. It's a very old hotel and in desperate need of a face lift, so if your looking for modern amenities book somewhere else. My stay wasn't unpleasant, it was just a surprise. The place reminded me of the vacations my family would take when I was a kid, circa the 70's and 80's. I can't remember the last time I swam in a tiled pool and played and been in an arcade with games that cost a quarter. If your looking to reminisce about times long gone this is your place. Some parts were being remodeled, which woulda been good to know before arriving. Lots of workers hanging around with tool belts and jangling keys while I was trying to relax at the pool. They might want to change the water in the hot tub too. It smelled kinda funky. I liked the deep pool and my room with the pool view which I didn't find too noisy cause the rug rats are back in school. The place just needs a interior decorator....bad.

Room Tip: If you don't want airport noise, stay in an inside room. If you don't want kids and family n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear sunkat70,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C