“Just ok”

Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is an old hotel that is kept up pretty nicely. It is clean and the service is friendly but feel they should have asked where we wanted our room. Hubby is a gold rewards member which must mean that they know you will be back so give you the crappiest room that no one else will stay in. The hotel was not full so no excuses. Our room was like a cave with a view of a wall. I need to open windows and see out, not this time. The breakfast was better than what you get at most hotels, ordered off a menu instead of continental style. The coffee service in the room is lacking with powdered cream and only two packs per night, only one pack of coffee which makes 2 cups. Not enough for both of us to enjoy 2 cups. I will know next time to ask for a better room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. They have indoor balconies which open to the pool and restaurant ar...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Dear swf927,

Thank you for being an IHG Club Rewards member and for writing us a review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My Wife & I stayed here because they accepted pets (We have 3/4 of a dog; he's a Chihuahua, but he's feisty. I wouldn't wear flip-flops around him, if you value your toes...).

While this is not one of the "Brand New" Holiday Inn Express properties, it is clean, well-maintained and has some other things going for it:
1) Good location, even better if you are heading South the next morning.
2) "The Grille" has tasty food for both Breakfast & Dinner
3) They have a "Tropical Courtyard" which is super-cool, and includes a pool!

So, give this place a try!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Staff was very warm and welcoming including shuttle driver who picke me up and drove me back to airport. Room was nicely updated. Hotel is a little bit chopped up due to various additions over time. Some noise from indoor pool area as my room faced pool. Would suggest getting an outward facing room unless you like to have a balcony overlooking pool.

Room Tip: Depending on interest in pool, either get pool facing room or ask for outward facing room to have it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The indoor pool, hot tub and atrium are beautiful! Right across from the airport yet I never heard a plane. Large parking lot. Nice, modern rooms. Microwave, plenty of towels, fridge and very comfortable beds. Clean. Only 5 miles from hot spots downtown.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

VERY close to the airport. I really like the room mainly because of the microwave and the frig in the room. The hotel is a little dated (some bubbling or signs of moisture in the corner of the room near the carpet) but it does seem that they try to keep it up for the most part. The beds weren't that comfortable to me which was disappointing. You will definitely smell chlorine when you walk in the door. There is an indoor pool in the middle indoor courtyard. I brought my bathing suit but not getting in. It's not because the pool was dirty but there a quite a few rooms that have a clear view (low to high) of you in the pool. Uhhh.... no. Lol. The work out room was really nice. 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, weight machine and free hand weights, medicine balls, mats, workout balls... I had a nice workout. At the computer in the lobby, I had to print out one sheet of paper. The lady at the front desk told me not to worry about the cost and gave me my printout for free... which was nice. For the eats... I did like the grill. It was nice to get things cooked to order and the taste wasn't bad at all. You got lots of food for the price. I had scrambled eggs, croissant, turkey sausage, fried potatoes. Pretty good. All in all, not too bad of a place to stay...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great airport location. Did not hear any planes and slept like a baby!!! Property in midst of renovation but you can tell that they work hard to keep this older property clean and refreshed. Love location and will stay again

Room Tip: Great Stay. Older property but management is in process of renovation to keep up maintenance.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel was ok in general. Ok rooms except for the part that indie see to get to ones action of the rooms we had to come down a few steps - which is on walking but when you have a few bags with you, then it is tricky.

They have a nice courtyard where the restaurant was located.

Nice tv that swivels, small desk but doable for the space.

Anyway, I didn't see any other places to eat within the vicinity. I believe the shuttle can take you 2 miles away from the hotel but downtown was 3 to 5 miles?!? Confused.

The bar was closed for renovations and couldn't see the pool.

Maybe next time I'll have more time

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business