“if you want to be cheap you will get what you pay for”
Review of Canfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dubuque
Canfield Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Dubuque, Iowa
“if you want to be cheap you will get what you pay for”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

the entire place is filthy and smells of smoke and if you want to feel safe I wouldn't suggest staying here. It offers rooms for rent by the month so you can imagine the crowd of people that are LIVING in this hotel! would definitely not just for any type of family with the unusual crowd that hang around and live at the hotel

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank DaniBB043

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Central Kentucky
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My daughter and I chose to stay at the Canfield after reading the reviews from others. What a place! Our room decor was straight out of an 80s mobile home bedroom: shiny black and red! We were on the 5th floor and the heat is from radiators and is controlled from one thermostat at the office. Guests could lower or raise the amount of heat coming from the radiator in their room but couldn't turn it off completely. When we got hot we were able to open a window and all was well. The 5th floor hallway had a big plastic tree and the elevator still had the small square metal cigarette ash tray on the wall. My 23-year-old daughter had never seen one of those before. The Rainbow Lounge is the big hit of Dubuque. We were attending a wedding couple shower in town. Not only did the bachelor and bachlorette parties from our families' wedding come to the Rainbow, but another party as well. Friday and Saturday nights are karaoke nights and every age from 21-81 was there to sing. It was a hoot! This place was clean clean and the staff very helpful. We really enjoyed it. Also, the Sunshine Family Restaurant across the street is the place to eat. You can walk from the Canfield. They start serving at 6:00 am every morning. They have everything and the three different meals we ate there were excellent and the price was just right. The Canfield is very unusual and may not be for everybody, but we will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Laura H
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have stayed at the Canfield many times over the last 12 years.It is clean, friendly and unique. Special thanks to Carol for being so friendly and helpfull.We would'nt stay any place else in the city. Larry G.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gmusky
United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I read the reviews and was prepared for what we found. It was not a bad stay but not as charming as these other reviews had led me to believe. The wax indians in the lobby were a bit jarring walking in at midnight. The decor isn't so much retro as it is chevy conversion van. There was no air conditioning which, had we arrived a few days earlier, would have been miserable. We opened the windows and it was the perfect temperature. I feel this hotel draws a weird crowd, many of the people we ran into in the halls and lobby were a bit off.

The hotel is fine, but it is far from amazing or enchanting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pippin P
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I read the reviews, so I knew what to expect. The room was ultra clean and the staff friendly and helpful.I am a single female and it was my first visit to Dubuque. The furniture was old, but comfortable. There was a ceiling fan, micro, small frig and cable TV....all that I needed! I was very satisfied with the rate since I stayed for a month. I would definitely go back and recommend to my non-snooty friends. I felt safe and secure in my room. If you are looking for frills....don't go. Lounge downstairs for those who want entertainment. I was on the 3rd and 5th floor right above the lounge, but did not hear the music or people. I wish I could find a hotel like this in the other cities I visit.

Room Tip: If you want to spend your money wisely and on having fun versus spending all your money on your hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jackie P
Seattle
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We enjoyed staying at the Canfield! My husband and I couldn't find a place to stay in Dubuque due to a convention til we happened upon the Canfield. It's..funky! but clean and a super location. We had a two room 'suite' on the top floor, right out of the 1960s, for $75. It was like staying at grandma's house. The coffee maker was a relic, but it worked. The Sunshine Cafe is right across the street for breakfast. I would stay there again!

Room Tip: Top floor was nice..I would suggest paying for a larger room. The smaller one we looked at was tiny...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kidlet
northwesttennessee
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing for families who need a large room without spending much money.

Pros:
-- Clean
-- Our room with two beds was twice as large as a regular hotel room
-- Great history lesson for the kids! Actual keys for the doors. Pink sink in our room. Old-timey radio in our room for decoration (didn't work but still cool. There was an updated radio that did work.) Old-timey elevators.
-- Updated bathroom.

Cons:
-- No wi-fi
-- No control over AC temp. But we were perfectly comfortable and there was a ceiling fan

Overall, highly recommended.