“Great until bedtime”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
“Great until bedtime”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This property is very well maintained. Room was exceptionally clean. Pool with good temp and very clean. Hot tub actually hot. Staff friendly and accomodating. Continental breakfast okay but not great in terms of choices. Breakfast room staff very unfriendly.

Bedtime was unpleasant. Major noise disruptions. Adults stomping back and forth and children running in the room above. Loud voices in the hallway. Doors constantly slamming shut. There are closers on the doors that could be adjusted that might help. Except for the noise would highly recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank your for your compliments that the “property is well maintained” and that the room was “exceptionally clean”. We encourage our guests to give us feedback and it is always beneficial to receive the positive as well as the areas of opportunity so we can improve. My apologies that your stay was, overall, less than satisfactory! We try to minimize disturbances if they occur and feel badly that you described your experience as “unpleasant”. Please be assured this will be discussed with the staff to reinforce the noise policies. I would also like to extend my apologies for the breakfast staff, again this will not go unnoticed and will be addressed so corrective measures can be taken. We want to offer the best service to our guests and thank you for your constructive feedback.
Lynette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Rockton, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here from 8/1/14 to 8/5/14 with my husband and 3 teenaged boys. The beds are very comfortable. I came home to my own bed and wanted to be back in the hotel bed it was so comfortable. Our stay was pleasant. We were there during a weekend and at times it seemed like the breakfast staff couldn't keep up with the demand for food and were a bit overwhelmed. We stayed in a suite that holds 6 people but there were only 3 bath towels. When we had our room cleaned again we only got 3 bath towels. We made due and asked for things as we needed them so we never went without. Our room could have been cleaner. There were remnants from previous guests like a small rubber band used with braces and a wrapper of some sort on the bathroom floor. Also, I don't know how often rooms are completely cleaned where the furniture is moved and the floor is vacuumed behind but our room needed this done. Not only behind the furniture but along the baseboards was a thick layer of dust and dirt. I don't consider myself a clean freak but I did notice this. I would definitely stay here again if we ever come back to Dubuque.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for bringing to our attention your observations at our hotel. I appreciate your awareness to these details and apologize for the concerns you mention throughout your review. It is our responsibility to evaluate our guests experience so we can rectify them properly, thank you for informing us of your valuable feedback. We are pleased you will be staying with us again.
Lynette
Kemah, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Exercise room consist of 2 treadmills that did not work and 1 stationary bike. That's it! When we asked Emma at the front desk about treadmills she just shrugged and said I guess they are not working. Housekeeping made our bed but did not vacuum or clean bathroom. One day they took dirty towels( that I piled up) but left us with zero clean towels. Had to call front desk. Elevator dings every time it's called or arrives on floor and this can be heard all through the night in room 319. Also heard man next to us snoring and child crying through the thin walls. Over all not impressed with staff, breakfast, exercise room or noise level. No staff at desk when we left. Newer hotel And relatively clean. Sign in lobby says "survey says 10"......more like "survey says mediocre at best ".

• Stayed July 2014
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
My sincerest apologies that the staff did not investigate your problem! We have checked our treadmills and they are working just fine? The staff should have listened to your concerns and investigated it immediately so you could have been able to utilize the equipment while you were here. My apologies regarding your opinion of our housekeeping, breakfast and the noise levels as well, please be assured we will monitor these concerns so we can better our hotel for our guests in the future. Know your comments will be used as a tool to improve our services and we hope that we can exceed your expectations the next time you are here. I am truly sorry you did not receive the service you expected and deserved.
Lynette Montes
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

The motel was clean and modern. The staff was outstanding.

So why was it just average?

Like so many "pre-fab" pop-up hotels, it was really loud. Every time the wonder twin children upstairs wanted to run around in circles, we most definitely heard every stomp of it. This is also a pet "friendly" motel, and throughout the night we enjoyed the excitement of listening to two yappy dogs next door to us yip all night.

So what's your priority? Clean/new hotel or a good nights sleep? You won't get both here.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lynette M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your candid comments are truly appreciated. I do apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We are always looking for fresh ideas to ensure quiet enjoyment for all our guests and your comments certainly will play a large role in helping us achieve that goal. We hope, in the future, you choose to stay with again and give us a chance to show you your voice was heard and improvements were made.
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was amazed that a Holiday Inn Express Suite hotel would provide so much value, as much as the higher end main brand hotels provided by Sheraton, Marriott and Holiday Inn. The hotel was new, well designed, efficient, clean, offered a friendly, knowledgeable staff that provided a cold bottle water at check in or whenever you asked, the rooms were large, well designed using high end materials such as granite bathrooms and showers, high end pillow top mattresses, soft pillows and sheets. My Queen Suite had two flat panel TVs with High Def viewing and premium channels, WiFi and high speed internet. The hotel also offered a great work out area and an indoor pool and spa. The hot and cold breakfast that was included with the room price each morning was convenient and cost effective. The complimentary coffee that was provided 24/7 was fresh, great tasting and convenient. The hotel's concierge service included excellent ideas on places to visit and things to do in the tri-state area. The marketing & sales staff were doing their job by negotiating a long list of top restaurants (multiple cuisines) offering discounts of 10-20% to Holiday Inn Express Suites clients. Hats off to Shawn at the front desk for a job well done. Your recommendation to visit Catfish Charlies Restaurant & Bar for Catfish, Walleye, Steaks & California Wines while overlooking the beautiful Mississippi River served as a perfect ending to a great trip to scenic and historical Dubuque! The hotel is perfect for families, individuals and for business or pleasure. To close, the hotel staff should take a bow!

Doug - Dana Point, California

Room Tip: Pay the extra dollars for a Queen or King Suite, it provides a bit more room to stretch out.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DougInSoCal
Lynette M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here in Dubuque. We take great pride in providing our guests with the finest amenities and hospitality. We are also happy that you were able to take advantage of the ever-growing list of area restaurants who provide exclusive discounts to our guests. Your comments with be passed along to Shawn and the rest of the staff and we hope you visit us again when you are in the area.
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I come to Dubuque fairly often on business and usually stay on Dodge Street. I thought I would give this hotel and try and I am glad I did. From the moment I walked in I felt welcome. The front desk staff was friendly and funny and very helpful. On the way to my room the first thing I noticed was how nice and clean everything is. It almost looks brand new - I was surprised to find out it is 3 or 4 years old. The room was also immaculate. It was also nice and roomy and the bed was very comfortable. I was glad to see a refrigerator in the room as I do have some medication that needs to be kept cool. I was very pleased with the WiFi. It was easy to connect and about as fast as I have seen in a hotel. Breakfast in the morning was your basic free buffet - but all of the food looked very fresh and was tasty. The breakfast attendant was very friendly and seemed to be working hard to make sure everything was well stocked. Getting on the road in the morning was a real treat as I didn't have to deal with all of the stoplights and Dodge street traffic. I made it to my first appointment in about half of the time it normally takes me. I forgot to mention something that is very nice. My company doesn't allow me to expense any drinks but the hotel provided me two drink tickets for the sports bar across the street. For me that's like putting and extra $7 or $8 in my pocket. Also there were a lot of choices of places to eat nearby. I will be back on my next trip.

Room Tip: I just had a standard room with a king bed and was great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve F
Lynette M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you so much for choosing us. We are so glad you decided to give us a chance. We do our best to provide all of our guests with a perfect guest experience. Our staff will appreciate your great comments and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area. Thanks for the great review.
Shippensburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Wife and I were here for 1 night on stop over. We were on 3 1/2 week road trip through US. She still says this was the best night of sleep she had!! Beds were TERRIFIC. It was quiet and AC was tremendous. Best part was front desk person. She was new (forget name). Went out of her way to make us welcome. I was reading in lobby and she even asked if I wanted her to turn music down!! Excellent room amenities, clean and super shower pressure too. We really enjoyed the stay and would return if in area.

Room Tip: Top floor so no one above. Ask for non-main road side too!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
We are so glad we were able to provide you with a memorable stay. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the staff. Thank you for kind words taking the time to share your guest experience.