“Nice little diner; reasonable prices and decent portions”

Sunshine Family Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 211 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: American
Description: Been Here For Years, Serve Breakfast Lunch And Supper
Description: Been Here For Years, Serve Breakfast Lunch And Supper
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We ate lunch/brunch here on a Saturday ~1 p.m.. As noted by others, the setting is kind of a throwback to a 1950's diner with a counter and stools along with tables and booths. Family owned (from what I was told) and home-cooked food. Prices are very reasonable and portions were large. I had an open-faced hot beef sandwich which was served with a cup of soup in addition to the large sandwich . Hubby had bacon cheeseburger and fries. Our bill was less than $15 for both of us. Service was good and our waitress was friendly. Variety of menu items ranging from breakfast to dinner. We were going to eat here again Sunday late morning (~11 a.m.) but it was so crowded there was a long line to get in. I would return here and recommend it to anyone wanting a family-style diner with good prices and food.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Good food, very busy place. The prices are very reasonable. The service is good and usually fast considering they're always busy..

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This restaurant sits across from what looks to be an old train station in Dubuque. The ambiance is a cross between a diner (with counter and stools) and a convenience restaurant at a train stop,

If that's all you expect, you'll be happy.

If you need a meal on a Sunday afternoon at 1:30 when everything else is closed (that's what I needed) it's fine. Think: semi-rural truck stop.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Yesterday I had the pleasure of eating at the Sunshine cafe again. I really love this place...

It is a fairly typical family operated cafe, but the thing we find that sets it apart from the others is the vast array of menu options. There is a stir fry section, a Greek section, Italian, sandwiches, breakfast, dinner, daily specials, kids meals, burgers... And most sandwiches can be served 'light' with a cup of soup (salad for an extra buck) or the whole shebang with fries salad sandwich soup (I think its a full or deluxe option, can't remember). I ordered the Gyro plate that comes with a small Greek salad. The salad was huge and very fresh, the gyro meat was a nice thick cut and their cucumber sauce was rich and brilliant. The only negative was the Greek salad dressing - it was ladeled into a small plastic cup but was mostly the top part (oil) of the dressing as that tends to seperate. My husband got a Western omelet and was pleased as well - it was loaded with fresh (not canned) veggies and cooked just right.

Our server had a great smile and attitude and treated us with a perfect balance of attention, knowing when to leave us alone and when to check on our drinks, etc.

Prices are low/very reasonable!
We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Beerli
Reviewed 16 January 2014

While staying in Dubuque we had the chance to eat at the Sunshine Family Resturant twice. Yes, that means not only did we go there once, but we also choose to go back a second time because we liked the atmosphere (laid back and casual), service (very attentive), and food (decent quality traditional diner food). The first time we were there we had lunch and it was pretty good, but the second time I had breakfast (they serve breakfast all day) and it was even better! Definitely some place we'd visit again if we are in the area.

1  Thank Kona J