“Avoid This Place”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Chicago Suburbs
“Avoid This Place”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Let me begin by saying that we were in Dubuque over Memorial Day weekend and knew of four high school graduations, one college graduation and one wedding all happening that weekend. I'm sure there were even more events going on, and this may explain why there was not much hotel availability anywhere in town. We didn't really have many other options. We chose the Baymont Inn based on the photos we saw online, as well as the price. Big mistake.

First, the building itself is old and run-down, in need of a major renovation. There is a faint musty odor. Both the interior and exterior of the building are eye sores. We're not particular about noise, but it was obnoxious how much the sound carried when random kids would run down the hall. Nothing in that building blocks out sound.

The bathroom in our room was disgusting, again in need of a major renovation. The toilet barely flushed. It would fill to the brim with water before flushing down the bowl every time we used it. The water flow from the sink was just a trickle, and the water pressure in the shower was a joke. I'm pretty sure I still had shampoo in my hair when we left since the pressure was so low. It's nearly impossible to wash long hair in those showers. My husband (who has a short military haircut) actually went to a nearby relative's home to shower since the shower in the hotel room was so bad.

Make sure to bring your own toiletries. The hotel did not provide any of those mini shampoo or conditioner bottles, and there was one tiny bar of soap to be shared between the sink and the shower.

The "white" towels were old, dirty looking and very small. Unless you are a size 2, don't plan to wrap yourself in the bath towel. The towels all need to be replaced and this should most definitely be a priority on the hotel's to-do list.

The curtains do not keep out the sunlight. I woke up at 6am thinking that I had missed my alarm and it was already 10:00 because of how bright the room was.

Breakfast was a joke. Skip it all together and do yourself the favor of driving a couple blocks down the road to Perkins.

The only saving grace was that the bed was pretty comfortable. I was able to sleep well as long as the sun was down and kids weren't stampeding down the hallway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel was sold out when we checked in at 7:30 p.m. Our room was in the attached 2nd building that isn't used unless they are full (especially on weekends). The key cards did not work in the door. The front desk clerk was very attentive and re-coded the cards and came back with me to make sure they worked. The key cards still didn't work and she returned with a manager within 5 minutes and they replaced the lock mechanism. Although it was a bit inconvenient, I was very impressed with the service.

The room had some minor disrepair (paint issues, ceiling appeared to have had a leak in it in the bathroom and the ceiling needed to be repainted/texturized).

The complimentary breakfast was good and we had more than enough to eat. The kids enjoyed having Froot Loops as a cereal choice!

The kids enjoyed swimming in the pool. They were out of towels in the pool room but again, after I inquired at the front desk, the front desk clerk was helpful and found some clean towels for me in the housekeeping station.

The beds were very comfortable. I wish they had fridges in the room but it's not a deal-breaker. For our family, the price was right. It wasn't fancy but we weren't in the room much and the rooms served it's purpose.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here for a couple nights during a car show. Hotel check in smooth and efficient. Parking lot full, but had room to park. Hotel is quiet at night. We liked the little bar on site to have a beer after the days over and relax then walk to room. Staff friendly and had good ideas for restaurants. Rooms clean. The only problem was Saturday morning there was a tepid shower. Sunday morning the shower was hotter. I would also like more towels then the two provided. I have long hair and one more towel would be nice. The price was good for this room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Enjoyed my stay, the staff, comfortable and convenient location. I will stay here any time I travel to Dubuque, Iowa, Pool area was clean and tidy and inviting. Service surpassed my expectations and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean room, excellent bedding, and most comfortable bed! Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Bar was well stocked with usual popular liquor and mixes, had a better bourb & coke here than at the casino's bar. Only thing we didn't like was, they ran out of rms w/ fridge n micrwv, disappointing considering we made our res a wk in adv and were stayin 3 days. Overall excellent!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple