My fiancee had business in Dubuque, so we decided to make a weekend trip out of it. Despite an advertised check-in time of 4pm, we had no problem getting a room when dropping in unannounced at 1:30pm. In our reservation notes we asked for a river-view room on a high floor. We were given a top floor room with a BEAUTIFUL view of the river. Free Wifi and parking. Instant happiness.
Despite being a non-smoking room (I think it's a non-smoking hotel), our room unfortunately smelled like smoke. Luckily it wasn't terribly bad, and there were no attempts to cover it up with carpet fresh or similar (which I am allergic to).
Everything in the room was functional (small fridge, microwave, coffee machine) and the climate controls worked fine. The window cooling unit was a little on the noisy side (it clicked rather loudly when it turned on), so light sleepers beware.
This hotel has an indoor water park on premises, so expect a lot of kids to be running around. We didn't visit the water park.
Quirks: The check-in location is on the 2nd floor instead of the main lobby. Weird.
We were pleasantly surprised to find breakfast at the onsite Tony Roma's restaurant was only $21 for the two of us. I didn't feel ripped off at all, like I do at so many hotel restaurants. The riverwalk is 200 feet from the hotel. Bald Eagles are commonly seen, as are huge barges going up and down the Mississippi. There is a rare swing bridge visible from the hotel, which pivots on an island to allow large boats to pass through it. Very cool if you have never seen something like this in operation.
All in all, it's not a luxury hotel but our room was nice, functional and had a great view. The hotel location is right along the riverwalk. I would definitely stay here again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Harbor Resort And Waterpark Hotel Dubuque
- Grand Harbor Hotel And Waterpark
- Grand Harbor Dubuque
- Grand Harbor Resort Dubuque
- Grand Harbor Hotel Dubuque
- Dubuque Grand Harbor
- Grand Harbor Resort And Waterpark Dubuque, Iowa