“Love this hotel”

Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I really enjoy staying at this hotel. My husband & I stayed here for the first time in the Fall of 2013 & returned for the second time earlier this month. On both visits we requested a river view on a high floor and we were given rooms on the top floor with wonderful views of the Mississippi River and the beautiful riverwalk. The rooms are large and clean, and the beds & pillows are very comfortable. The staff is very friendly & willing to help if you need anything. There is a Tony Roma's restaurant inside the hotel with a very nice veranda where we enjoyed an evening concert. We will definitely return to the Grand Harbor Resort!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Was OK, but for what they charge for a night, need more. The internet was erratic, the tub drain was clogged and no breakfast. Seriously, for a hundred dollars a night, expected more. But the view of the river was great.

Room Tip: Try the hotel connected with the other casino, I will
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Grand Harbor is the place to stay if you are looking for a hotel right on the river. It has many things to do for kids (arcade and waterpark) and is nice for the adults with a full service restaurant and bar with patio and is right on the river. The staff is wonderful and accommodating. The are willing to help you with both large and small requests. I did have a few complaints about my room. I stayed in the Ice Harbor view suit which was super clean. Unfortunately, the bed was like sleeping on a rock. I also had issues with the balcony doors, both the doors and the screens were super dirty and the locking mechanism on the living room door was broken. Over all I had a great experience and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Also, be careful of the time of year you stay there. The fish flies can be a nightmare that close to the river.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 days at the end of March for a romantic getaway. We had all of the spring break kids there during our stay. We did stay in a suite on the top floor facing the river and must say the view was great.
The staff was friendly and helpful and Tony Roma's is a good place to eat for a chain.
The issue that we had was there was kids everywhere. One elevator for the entire place, wet, screaming kids everywhere we went.
The suite that we stayed in was also dated and could definitely use an upgrade.
We would stay again, just avoid the times of the year when the waterpark is an attraction.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Pros:
The location of the hotel is great. It is on the Mississippi River and the trail right behind the hotel takes you straight to the Aquarium, river rides, or the casino. We didn't even have to drive! The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and large. The hospitality staff was great!

Cons:
Our room was by the elevator so we could hear the elevator go up and down ALL night. BOTH nights we stayed at the hotel the fire alarm went off. Once was at 6 am! Both were false alarms, but since we had an infant, evacuating the building caused us great inconvenience. There was also NO help from the staff during the evacuation leaving customers unsure if we could go back into the hotel. I also had to change the date of my reservations and did so by calling the hotel. The staff told me my reservation had been cancelled, but I was not convinced when I received an email asking me to confirm my reservation. They also never gave me a cancellation code. I decided to check my reservation online and indeed, the reservation had NOT been cancelled. I went ahead and cancelled online so I could receive an actual cancellation confirmation!

Side note:
If you try to get into the hotel area from downtown and you see the train, take an alternate route by using the bridge. The train often stops right in front of the intersection and we wasted a good 30 minutes waiting for it to move.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT by the elevator!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Aurore Y
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here for over a week in one of the the suites. It was nice because we had our 6 month old so we could put him in the other room and could close the door. I was surprised that the noise level was quite low especially since there is a water park. The employees were very attentive and the room was very clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OliviaW929
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We spent one night during the week recently for our anniversary. Our package was the "Roll the Dice" which is a great deal. Check-in was smooth. Room is clean and the view of the Mississippi River is beautiful! Bed was very comfortable. Had breakfast in the hotel which was good. We did not use the water park so unable to comment on that. Casino is right across the street. There is a lot to in proximity to the hotel such as the River Museum. Fun activity for adults and family. We have stayed here more than once and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view if available!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple